fiduciary

Author Topic: DY's Luke ANH VS Anakin ROTS Review  (Read 17233 times)

Offline DarthYoda

• Experienced Force User
    • Phantom Files
DY's Luke ANH VS Anakin ROTS Review
« on: November 01, 2009, 06:26:18 PM »
I accidently purchased an Anakin ROTS though an auction. I got worried about it not comparing to the Luke ANH that I had willingly purchased from someone on the forums. So, I had posted on the forums to find out if it was actually as good as most say it is. They reassured me that it was a great buy and I would be please and some said I should write a review. So, officially, this will be my first review. I only wish I had a Graflex to throw into this review since they are based off of the Graflex in the first place. So, on to the review!

First impressions: I was very happy to see that I got a good deal from a seller and it was in PERFECT condition! Not a blemish anywhere! I thought it was very sturdy and not cheap feeling at all, even the ring around the blade look WAY better than the Luke’s. My first thought was, “This looks like an upgrade rather than something that was supposed to be prequel to the Luke’s.” However, as I thought about it, Anakin was a master craftsman. Obi-Wan (when it was in his possession) lived in the desert and with very limited tools and supplies. Whatever happened to it, Obi-Wan had to repair it with what was available. So, whatever helps you sleep at night, right? LOL

On to the pictures:

At no turns (Anakin left, Luke right). You can see the hole at the top of the shroud is missing from the Anakin’s, the bunny ears are thicker and stronger on Anakin’s, The buttons/knobs are different colors (Anakin’s is a shiny amber and Luke’s is a dull small maroon color), the control boxes are on the opposite side of each other, the metal clamp around the control boxes are different (Anakin’s is way thicker and stronger looking and has bumps for grip, Luke’s seems to be thinner aluminum and cheaper made, the grips are a tad bit longer on the Luke’s, and the overall body of the two are different (Anakin’s seems to be a bit thinner, but a lot thicker than Luke’s).

Turned to one side (Anakin left, Luke right). There are five main differences with this side.
1.   Obviously, the ring around the blade is different. Anakin’s is far more superior to that of Luke’s because it is thicker and stronger looking.
2.   Close to the top button/knob there is a little oval piece with a small circle there that is missing from Anakin’s. I’m not sure what its purpose was in the film, but have seen videos of custom sabers, that when pressed forward, it would turn the blade on and off.
3.   Again, the control box. Unlike Anakin’s, the control box has the bubbles/pearls on top of the control box and a small clip. It is kind of a weird coincidence that Obi-Wan would put that style of control box on that saber and Darth Vader did the same on his saber.
4.   Oh, back up top, inside the small circle, the two little copper knobs are different from each other and the hole itself is in a slightly different spot.
5.   On down the saber, Anakin’s has a covertec style piece to hold the blade on the belt. The Luke’s has a loop at the bottom end, which you will see later.

Turned again (Anakin left, Luke right). There are four differences on this side that were not previously stated.
1.   Again, the ring around Anakin’s looks way better than Luke’s and you can see that Anakin’s is higher up than Luke’s is.
2.   On both sabers there is a black piece under the ring around the blade. Luke’s does not come up to the ring and allows light to leak out from it. Anakin’s comes all the way up to the ring and no light leaks out. Personally, I like the Luke’s for doing that, because you can see that the blade starts far down. I guess that is a matter of personal preference there.
3.   The buttons are obviously different. Anakin’s is a huge shiny amber color and Luke’s is a smoky clear color. As for the detail around the buttons, Luke’s wins hands down because there is no detail around the button of Anakin’s. Another plus for the Luke’s, you can put led accents in that button and make it glow any color you want to (have seen it in a picture and looks totally awesome!).
4.   On Anakin’s control box there isn’t a clip, but a gold color on/off switch to look like a clip. I don’t know how to feel about that one because it reminds me of the Luke ROTJ saber with the switch on the side. It kind of gets in the way when dueling and I accidently shut it off during a duel. Big downer for me. On the plus side, you can turn it on without looking like you turned it on. So, it makes me feel like I am a Jedi and used the force to turn it on LOL. Your call on that one as well. I would like to make a custom saber that when you grip it in a certain place, it would turn on, enhancing the force feature. Got that idea when looking at sabers and Luke created one in a novel and he had to use the force to turn it on because there wasn’t any buttons! You steal that idea, I come after you! LOL nah, if I thought about it, someone already did.

Turned for the last time (Anakin on left, Luke on right). There is only one difference that can be stated and that is the control box. At the top is a gold looking piece that looks like a computer board. Not my cup of tea, but looks better than some of the others I have seen.

The bottoms (Luke left, Anakin right). I have to say that Anakin’s makes Luke’s like a poor man version. Luke’s screws into the base and has a loop for the belt holder. This loop reminds me of the old beer pull tabs. You remember those? LOL Seriously, it looks like you could pull it open and take a drink! LOL Anakin’s is nice and screws around the base. It just looks pretty. Here are the ups and downs. Luke’s is real easy to unscrew. Just lift the tab and twist. Anakin’s is harder to unscrew because it is smaller and I have HUGE hands. Maybe someone with smaller hands would be ok with it, but I have problems unscrewing the Anakin’s.

I have decided not to post pictures of the blades on because they are identical and they are stock. No big deal there. I do have to say that my Luke is way easier to make the clash sound than the Anakin’s. I don’t know why that is, but I have to hit my hand hard on the Anakin’s to make it clash. The Luke makes the clash sound with an easy bump.

Final thoughts: Though they are the same saber in theory, they are different in many ways. I like the Luke because it does look like the original and matches the look of the Graflex in many ways. However, the Anakin looks like an updated Graflex that is built stronger. For some reason, the amber colored buttons throws me off and kind of makes it look cheesy. I have seen conversions and they put gold one there instead. That would through it off even more! It really is a tossup for me on which I like the most. Build wise, the Anakin wins. History wise, the Luke wins. Either way, I have them both. So, I win! Muahahaha!

Well, this is the end of my first review and I hope you all enjoyed reading it. I hope to hear back from you all. I would like to know which saber you prefer between these two and your thoughts on them.

DarthYoda,

MTFBWY Always!

Offline Jai-Kinn Jaden

• Experienced Force User
  • I warn you not to underestimate my powers...
Re: DY's Luke ANH VS Anakin ROTS Review
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 07:18:08 PM »
Wow, this is a GREAT review!

Now you need to get a Luke ESB and you're collection will be complete (not likely, but still..you should!). Don't be turned away by people that claim its too big or fat. It really isn't. The grip is thinner than the ANH at least in my hand it feels thinner..the rubber is not as thick.

I split the difference and like the ESB evolution the best. Combines the best of all the elements. It is like a ANH made to fight...metal blade holder, studded grips, big thick D-ring, thinner grips, better placed switch, etc.

One idea I had was to take an Anakin and "convert" it into a more LUKE type of saber, paint the amber buttons, maybe get a smith to move or change the switch, add a D-ring, etc...

Anyway, great review, I enjoyed reading it!
Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

Be what you are.

Bad company corrupts good character.

Offline DarthYoda

• Experienced Force User
    • Phantom Files
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 08:09:53 PM »
Thanks!  ;D I will look into getting the Luke ESB and I want to get a graflex in my hand!

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 09:42:27 PM »
Great first review...I liked how you did it turning the saber for each side by side comparison...and yes when you get a real Graflex do another one...nothing is quite like the feeling of a real Graflex and knowing you have the REAL THING, imo.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline DarthYoda

• Experienced Force User
    • Phantom Files
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 10:03:59 PM »
I have been looking up real graflex. There isn't much on ebay to buy them and the search results brings up replicas. It is going to take me forever to find a real one that isn't junked up or rusted somewhere. These things are hidden like a needle in a hay stack. You guys have a secret store? LOL I have been on forums for cameras and they get REAL mad when you ask if anyone has one for sale LOL There was one guy that said he had lots of them, but wouldn't hand them out willingly unless he knew it was for a camera restore. BLAH!

Offline Jasher Kain

• Master Force User
  • A Knight of the Old Republic
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 02:10:30 AM »
Great review. I also enjoy the side-by-side comparisons.
It helps everyone get a better feel of the differences and similarities.

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
  • Owl Thread Survivor #19
    • The Star Wars Custom Miniature Database
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 02:24:21 PM »
This is a great review.  Something that I never knew but was surprised to discover when I got the Anakin saber was that the control box switched sides - a major difference.  That really threw me for a loop, and it was an interesting difference. 

Personally, I like the Luke ANH better, because I like the finish better - I'm constantly wiping fingerprints off my Anakin.  I also just sort of like the look of the Luke ANH better - it looks cleaner.  Since I actually have a vintage Graflex, I can compare them - and the Luke ANH is exactly 1:1.  I don't have an Anakin LE, but I like the size of the ANH better.  Lol.

Offline DarthYoda

• Experienced Force User
    • Phantom Files
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 04:35:59 PM »
Yeah, I agree on the fingerprints. I just noticed that. Anakin's is definitely prone to fingerprints!

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 04:40:08 PM »
Yeah the camera guys don't like us much...but they like our $$$ well enough and by now they all have clued in why we want them and will charge us through the nose for a vintage one that has survived in good shape - if you ever watch the classic Hitchcock movie "Rear Window" with Jimmy Stewart and Grace Kelly you'll notice that the flashgun which Jimmy uses to blind his assailant is a Graflex 3 cell...these things are OLD which is why most havent survived in good shape and why there are replicas...which I suspect are almost ALL sold to us not the camera guys lol.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline DarthYoda

• Experienced Force User
    • Phantom Files
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 05:07:17 PM »
LOL I figured them to be really old. I will keep a watchful eye out for a truely real graflex and see if I can't get yoda to do his magic on it. I will try and convert fx hilts, but I am not about to do anything as complex as yoda and others do.

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2009, 06:59:17 PM »
Remember, these Graflexes date from the 30s and 40s.  They're 70 years old, so finding one pristine is impossible.  I have a little nick on mine, which I covered up with the clamp.  It's fine, and generally, the little nicks will save you 20-30 dollars on these things.

Offline Darth Centorus

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Kel-Qui
    • My "crazybrittishninja" YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 04:56:49 AM »
Very good review, as the others said comparing them was a good Idea as it gives the readers more insight into the little differences eg my 1st saber was the Anakin EP3 and when I got my Luke ANH it wasn't until I put them on display I noticed that the control box is on oppisite sids  ???

As Jai-Kinn Jaden said you need to get the Luke ESB as well but good luck on the search, I finaly managed to get one the other day and I must say it is the best of my collection
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 04:09:52 PM by Kel-Qui »

My Sabers
Spirit - Custom build by JQ Sabers
MR Luke ESB
MR Anakin ROTS <signed by Dave Prowse
Stunt saber no electronics
1 Half of the Twin Dragon - MHS custom build by me

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 02:57:13 PM »

That's what I hear.  I've never even seen one, but I like my ANH too much to cheat on it by buying another Luke, Lol.

Offline Darth Centorus

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Kel-Qui
    • My "crazybrittishninja" YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 04:20:25 PM »
That's what I hear.  I've never even seen one, but I like my ANH too much to cheat on it by buying another Luke, Lol.

I know what you mean when I got my ANH it was my best saber aspecialy as it is a converted one, however the ESB was like my school sweetheart, I knew it first and and my feelings for it have never changed (not that I am in love with it or anything strange like that LOL  ;D  ;D  ;D )

My Sabers
Spirit - Custom build by JQ Sabers
MR Luke ESB
MR Anakin ROTS <signed by Dave Prowse
Stunt saber no electronics
1 Half of the Twin Dragon - MHS custom build by me

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2009, 04:22:07 PM »
The ANH was my first one too.  Is the size of the ESB really that noticeable?

retrousse