fiduciary

Author Topic: New canon changes regarding saber crystals  (Read 8306 times)

Offline oswaldkefo

• Force User
  • aka MandaloreLives
Re: New canon changes regarding saber crystals
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2017, 09:43:43 AM »
Yeah, The "crystals are living beings" sounds ridiculous. Giving "life" to the Force vs it just being a powerful energy has not been a compelling story piece. For example, the whole "chosen one" Jedi story line is just overused, bad writing in my opinion. It turns the force into a conscious thing, which is just dumb.

The episode of the Clone Wars where Obi & Anakin land on a planet with those physical manifestations of the force, and they have to fight the son/daughter/father for the balance of the light and dark was, in my opinion, silly. Saying that the force resides on a planet in three physical, humanoid forms just cheapens it.

And the chosen one story line seems like a mary-sue reason for the hero to overcome bs odds just because they are "chosen" as opposed to them earning it. An example of the right way to do it was Jyn Erso. She wasnt specially chosen by a supernatural power, she had to work for every lead, every mission. Rogue One was such a good movie <3

I came here to conquer the galaxy and drink milk...and I've finished my milk.

Offline Psab Keel

• Master Force User
Re: New canon changes regarding saber crystals
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2017, 10:36:38 AM »
It seems like a completely unnecessary change and probably raises more questions than it answers.  I always assumed that the crystals were clear but when activated (used in a lightsaber) they were a specific color based on their chemical make up as found in nature.  The color was therefore not a conscious choice of the Jedi who used it to build their saber, but their attunement to the Force was what drew them to that specific gem and they wouldn't know what the color was going to be until the construction of their sword was complete and turned on.  The crystal would then be a representative of their character.

By switching this concept to the Jedi imbuing their crystal with whatever color, in a small way it kind of undermines the idea of the Force having influence over the person and gives the Jedi too much power. I supposed it could work for the story if Disney is going with the concept that the Jedi and Sith are both throwing the Force off balance by using it for their own purposes rather than living in harmony with it.  If not it just seems to me that by giving the Jedi all kinds of powers and not limiting them in some way it could risk cheapening the story because they will be invincible. 

As long as the concept serves the story and doesn't detract from the characters in a meaningful way, I can live with it.  I just don't know if it's arbitrary or not though.  Is it really necessary to know and does it add to the story, or is it just a distraction?  Not everything has to be explained.  Idk.

It's not as interesting to me to know the specific dynamics of the Force (which is why Midichlorians detracted from the concept) but how it influences and affects the characters and their overall theme.  The lore is important, but only if it's adding to the story.  Otherwise it risks detracting from it.  Would it be cool to know exactly how a lightsaber works and how it's constructed?  Sure.  But that's why there are books and ancillary materials to answer those questions rather than have long scenes dedicated to that in the films.  Quite frankly it would be boring, unless it was super short and got the point across (aka the deleted scene where Luke is constructing his saber in ROTJ).  Though I'm glad it wasn't in the finished cut of the film because it was unnecessary and would have bogged down the pace of the movie.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 11:00:40 AM by Psab Keel »

retrousse