fiduciary

Author Topic: Announcing the Teensy Saber open source sound board  (Read 91557 times)

Offline gmcivor

• Force User
  • Do or do not. There is no try.
Re: Announcing the Teensy Saber open source sound board
« Reply #225 on: May 17, 2017, 08:42:31 AM »
New lightsaber.ino upload, version 1.89
Got a cool new templated system that makes it easier to build blade styles. I've updated the website to outline how to do it: Teensy Saber OS (beta)

I'm going to try to make some videos this weekend to show off it off.

A template system, that sounds very interesting! I was just wondering about how to build your own blade styles.

I am just doing the final touches on my saber before assembling the whole thing in the hilt. For sound tracks I have them in the track file and the Cantina and Imperial march will play. The other three sound tracks I have will not play. It says cannot find sound "insert sound name", even though they are in the same place as the other. All are .WAV files.

Regards,

GMcIvor

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #226 on: May 17, 2017, 10:17:19 AM »

A template system, that sounds very interesting! I was just wondering about how to build your own blade styles.

If you have trouble figuring it out, or if you have ideas that aren't easy to implement with the
available components, let me know and I'll have a go at implementing it.

I am just doing the final touches on my saber before assembling the whole thing in the hilt. For sound tracks I have them in the track file and the Cantina and Imperial march will play. The other three sound tracks I have will not play. It says cannot find sound "insert sound name", even though they are in the same place as the other. All are .WAV files.

Checklist:
  • Are your filenames in 8.3 format? (no more than 8 characters before the dot, only a-z or 0-9 ?)
  • Did you include the extension (.wav) in the preset array?
  • Did you use backslashes in the preset array? I recommend using forward slashes as backslashes have special meaning in C++. If you still want to use backslashes, you have to use two, so it would be something like  "tracks\\filename.wav"
  • Can see the files if you type "dir DIRECTORY" in the serial monitor?
  • Can you play the files if you type "play FILENAME" in the serial monitor?
  • If nothing else works, post a listing of your files and your preset array and I'll have a look.

Offline gmcivor

• Force User
« Reply #227 on: May 18, 2017, 07:19:00 PM »
So I figured it out. I had to many characters in the file names. It all works now. Just have to put the string blade into the tube.

Regards,

GMcIvor

Offline gmcivor

• Force User
« Reply #228 on: May 18, 2017, 07:32:42 PM »
Now I just need to figure out how to add the MTP support. I went to the link and downloaded the files but I couldn't figure out how to change the Teensy board base and add those downloaded files to add the support. Where I put my SD card it makes it had to remove, would be easier to do it over USB.

Regards,

GMcIvor

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #229 on: May 18, 2017, 07:39:45 PM »
Probably easier to just wait, or maybe ask Paul (the teensy guy) to hurry up and make it a properly selecetable option...

Offline gmcivor

• Force User
« Reply #230 on: May 18, 2017, 07:44:02 PM »
Probably easier to just wait, or maybe ask Paul (the teensy guy) to hurry up and make it a properly selectable option...

Alright sounds good. Yes, I could ask him, but I can probably make do for now.

The new gradient feature in the blade array is pretty nice:) So many possibilities now!

Regards,

GMcIvor
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 07:46:52 PM by gmcivor »

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #231 on: May 18, 2017, 07:58:14 PM »
The new gradient feature in the blade array is pretty nice:) So many possibilities now!

Feel free to share your favorites here.
While there aren't many teensysaber users around (yet), future users are sure to appreciate it. :)

Offline gmcivor

• Force User
« Reply #232 on: May 18, 2017, 08:04:16 PM »

Feel free to share your favorites here.
While there aren't many teensysaber users around (yet), future users are sure to appreciate it. :)

Once I create some I will definitely share! Yes, and my students (if they decide to make one) will be supporting you and be future users. :)

Regards,

GMcIvor

Offline gmcivor

• Force User
« Reply #233 on: May 19, 2017, 08:09:20 AM »
Alright, So I have encountered a problem. I charged the battery the saber was working I left it (with the blade out) for a few mins then I plugged the blade in and no boot up sound or anything. So I took it out of the hilt. thought maybe it didn't charge and the battery is low so its not booting the teensy. Batt voltage is at 4.88 it says. I tried to upload the software to re image it just to see if something was corrupt and it wont load software. I hear a buzz coming from the teensy. In the serial monitor I can turn the blade on and off change presets(the beep sound distorted now). But when I turn it on in the serial monitor I hear a horrid buzzing coming from the speaker not the sound font. and it wont shut off unless i pull out the blade.

I am at a loss since it was working perfectly normal last night.

Regards,

GMcIvor

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #234 on: May 19, 2017, 11:45:37 AM »
First of all, battery voltage of 4.88 is alarmingly high and can damage your battery.
(Assuming the voltage measurement is correct of course. Double-check with a multimeter.)
Normally, li-ion chargers should stop charging when the battery gets to 4.2 volt, this is especially important since the teensy circuits aren't designed for anything over 5 volts.

So, I have to ask: You didn't use a 2-cell (7.4v) charger, right?

Offline gmcivor

• Force User
« Reply #235 on: May 19, 2017, 12:03:33 PM »
Oh dang! How do I fix that? The battery is jammed in there pretty good. I bought the 3.7v smart charger from the custom saber shop. I looked at the info on the back and it says
Model: 37li-ion charger
Input: 100-240Vac 50/60hz
Output: 4.2V 500mAdc

The multi meter currently says 4.33V.

I hope I can salvage the build and not have to restart!!

Regards,

GMcIvor

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #236 on: May 19, 2017, 01:21:02 PM »
4.33v is a smidge high, but nothing to worry about. (4.8v would be bad, but the battery can probably handle it once or twice, it would just age the battery faster I think.) The battery charger you have *should* be fine (I think it's the same I have), so I don't really know what went wrong.

If the sound is bad, here is the checklist:
  • If the sound is crap, but the volume is largely unchanged, try a different speaker. The speaker could be cracked or have metal parts in it, attracted by magnets.
  • Cross-talk from the SD card can cause audio problems. Try routing the the writes from pins 11, 12 and 13 differently.
  • Audio chip runs on 5v, check that the output from the booster is actually 5 volts.
  • Audio chip needs the 5 volts to be stable. To find out if it is, set your multimeter to AC and measure between 5v and GND. If it reads more than a few millivolts, there might be a problem.
  • Audio chip can die if overheated or shorted. It has built-in protection for this, but it can happen anyways. If that happens you need a new prop shield. Note that de-soldering the prop shield from the teensy without damaging anything is difficult. In most cases I've had to just start over. Usually, broken audio chips results in NO audio though. However, the audio chips have 2 H-bridges in them,
     which mean four separate FETs. If only one of them dies, the result could be bad audio. You might also want to check the pjrc forums as they might have more ways to diagnose prop shield problems.
  • If you have an oscilloscope, measure pin A12 on the teensy while playing audio and see what it looks like. Compare with output from audio amplifier.

Offline gmcivor

• Force User
« Reply #237 on: May 19, 2017, 01:31:15 PM »
4.33v is a smidge high, but nothing to worry about. (4.8v would be bad, but the battery can probably handle it once or twice, it would just age the battery faster I think.) The battery charger you have *should* be fine (I think it's the same I have), so I don't really know what went wrong.

If the sound is bad, here is the checklist:
  • If the sound is crap, but the volume is largely unchanged, try a different speaker. The speaker could be cracked or have metal parts in it, attracted by magnets.
  • Cross-talk from the SD card can cause audio problems. Try routing the the writes from pins 11, 12 and 13 differently.
  • Audio chip runs on 5v, check that the output from the booster is actually 5 volts.
  • Audio chip needs the 5 volts to be stable. To find out if it is, set your multimeter to AC and measure between 5v and GND. If it reads more than a few millivolts, there might be a problem.
  • Audio chip can die if overheated or shorted. It has built-in protection for this, but it can happen anyways. If that happens you need a new prop shield. Note that de-soldering the prop shield from the teensy without damaging anything is difficult. In most cases I've had to just start over. Usually, broken audio chips results in NO audio though. However, the audio chips have 2 H-bridges in them,
     which mean four separate FETs. If only one of them dies, the result could be bad audio. You might also want to check the pjrc forums as they might have more ways to diagnose prop shield problems.
  • If you have an oscilloscope, measure pin A12 on the teensy while playing audio and see what it looks like. Compare with output from audio amplifier.

I think its the power boost. Man those things fry easy. Its out putting 2.97V. I am leaning towards it being screwed.

Regards,

GMcIvor

Offline gmcivor

• Force User
« Reply #238 on: May 19, 2017, 03:23:24 PM »
It was a fried powerboost. I dunno how it fried, probably when the battery overcharged I'm guessing. But at least it works. Hopefully I don't have to replace it every so often....

Regards,

GMcIvor

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #239 on: May 19, 2017, 03:27:48 PM »
You shouldn't. I've been using mine for almost a year now with no problems.
Keep an eye on it next time you charge though. It shouldn't take more than a few hours, so don't leave it over night. Check the voltages and make sure nothing is heating up while charging.

retrousse