fiduciary

Author Topic: Sapphire crystals for crystal chambers  (Read 267 times)

Offline profezzorn

• Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
Sapphire crystals for crystal chambers
« on: August 28, 2017, 12:41:34 PM »
It seems that synthetic sapphires can be had for relatively cheap:

Blue Sapphire 34 Lab Created Half Boule Flame Fus Synthetic

Does anybody already make lightsabers with sapphire crystals?

Of course, If I was really crazy I'd try to energize the crystals until the start to laser, but that probably belongs in the "delusions of grandeur" sub-forum... :)

Offline JC Denton

• Padawan Learner
Re: Sapphire crystals for crystal chambers
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 06:31:37 PM »
It must look very nice when polished but I have no idea how it behaves under an LED
"Not all those who wander are lost"

Offline lelegossalas

• No Force
  • "tiiii dweee tiii tiiiiiiii" - R2D2
Re: Sapphire crystals for crystal chambers
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 03:32:53 AM »
(NB: Etsy link is not available)

Most synthetic gemstones are flawless.
A good light effect needs some imperfections in the stone, but not too much. Need to find a good balancing (same situation than a laser that need smoke or dust particles in the air to be visible).
For instance, there is a very clear and flawless small Quartz crystals called "Herkimer". These quartz won't fit for a crystal chamber while basic crystals can be awesome.
Note : Aqua-aura is articial light-blue colored quart, amethyst is natural purple quartz, citrin is a yellow/brown quartz too (either natural, or artificial heated)
For other colors, I'm still looking for alternatives cheaper than emerald, spinel or tourmaline...

Moreover, depending on the stone, the polish can be mirror-like and so, the light effet will not be satisfying.
Sapphire/Ruby (same familly "corundum"), quartz have good reflexion properties to be polished, while garnet and zircon (same property than diamond) probably may not have.

PS:
Sorry, my english is not good enough to speak about gems and jewelry. I hope to be understandable...