fiduciary

Author Topic: Acerocket's un-named CF saber  (Read 23599 times)

Offline dgdve

• Force User
Re: Acerocket's un-named CF saber
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2013, 05:19:32 AM »
Of course, everyone know that this saber was at my shop for a day.  I tried to tell everyone at auction time no to let it get away.  I think it is Wat's SECOND best saber ever (and definitely a top 5 saber ever made).  The Killer Penny still reigns supreme for me.  At least a step better than ANYTHING ever made, a clear #1.

Yeah.. and Ive seen so many awesome sabers come out of your shop for years I mean... help me out...

but I picture it like this....

"Your sitting watching TV, bored.. When through your neighborhood come's the sound of a car screaming at about 150... It slides sideways into your drive way and by the time you make the door. Its a 4 arms General jumping out of a 500 horse Vette... but whats that hes got with him. Its a box.. with your juicy custom saber inside" (Mmmhhmmm)

Before you can get a word out.. Hes gone in a flash of tire smoke and burnout marks. You can only exclaim... (to yourself)

"LDM customsabers.. Best saber delivery... EVARRRR!"

__
Not to threadjack because we all know Ace got some kind of 5 axis Rocket powered thing with milled windows all tricked out to deliver his sabers to the installers (You know the Acerocket Inter Continental Saber Delivery Missle system.. You guys know right?)

I mean I remember the day I got my first Crystal Focus there was a double rainbow on my mailbox (I was like.. really? How does Erv do that???)

Anyway, err yeah some awesome awesome sabers that make up the history of the hobby, some just awesome ones (and really like you say, they are ALL kings and just incredibly inspirational!).   

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Call 1-800-GENERAL now!
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Artist formerly known as LDM
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2013, 10:55:28 PM »
LOL, well Wat and I did take a rather "high speed" drive in a car resembling what you describe that day. ;D

Offline merCUrium

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2013, 04:05:56 PM »
Of course, everyone know that this saber was at my shop for a day.  I tried to tell everyone at auction time no to let it get away.  I think it is Wat's SECOND best saber ever (and definitely a top 5 saber ever made).  The Killer Penny still reigns supreme for me.  At least a step better than ANYTHING ever made, a clear #1.

Are there anywhere pics of this legendary Killer Penny? I searched for a while now, but all I found where just words referring to its awesomeness.

Offline Forgetful Jedi Knight

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The old Jedi Master also commonly known as FJK
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2013, 04:32:56 PM »

Are there anywhere pics of this legendary Killer Penny? I searched for a while now, but all I found where just words referring to its awesomeness.

As far as I know, there is no pictures of it left here, since it is a pretty old saber, although I was able to find this shot of it elsewhere. If it looks familiar at all, it was the basis for the JSSDC K3GR1 saber run.

May the force be with you all!

Remember... speak softly and carry a well constructed light saber! :)

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer whatever consequences your actions or words dictate

Offline dgdve

• Force User
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2013, 04:33:42 AM »
Let me preface this post by saying...

PLEASE DO NOT PM ACE asking for a KP or K3gr clone.. (Maybe thats why some very special sabers arent that easy to find) ;)

Anyway for historical reference... (yep its from 07 and most likely designed and built in late 06.. I truthfully cant remember)

Ace can fill in the blanks if he see's this (and would like too)

____

Corbin Das (& Acerocket's) legendary.. Killer Penny

Offline merCUrium

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2013, 06:18:52 AM »
Never had the intention to ask this question. You simply don't ask DaVinci to paint a second Mona Lisa… (even if Leonardo would be still alive :P)

But thanks for the reference now I have a bit of a picture in mind next time when I read about the KP and understand the adoration it gets. That's all I wanted.

Edit:
Ohh, and sorry for thread jacking.
Back to OT, I love this nameless beauty and think the analogy to Mona Lisa fits (unintendetly) pretty good.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 06:22:53 AM by merCUrium »

Offline Acerocket

• Formerly known as Wat Tambor
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2013, 06:43:31 AM »
Corbin Das had approached me back in 2004/2005 about making a custom sabr for him.  He sent me an MSPaint drawing, some brass tubing and the antique brass fluted section to use in it's construction.  At the time, I till had my manual 3-in-1 machine and I started making the saber.  I had a minor accident with a bolt breaking on the mill causing severe damage the original copper emitter and neck section (and copper is not a cheap material).  That sidelined the project mid 2005.  From what work I had already doine, I knew the project would require a lot more of me than my manual machine could handle. I had already been thinking of upgrading the 3-in-1 machine to a CNC machine and I talked it over with Corbin and he agreed to wit until I could get CNC setup to start the project again.  In 2006, instead of upgrading the manual machine, I bought a CNC Bridgeport mill.  After spending a few months teaching myself the 3D modelling software and how to use the CNC machine, I was ready to try again.  I started back early in 2007.  By May 2007, I had all the parts machined.

I would also like to point out that ALL of the parts I machined for the Killer Penny were done on a CNC mill.  THere was no lathe work involved at all.

Then, as per Corbin's wish, the part were weathered.

I know it came as a shock to many people who had seen the 'as first built' version to see what I had done to the pretty copper and brass parts.  But's it is what Corbin wanted.

I don't know if Corbin ever got around to it, but there was supposed to be a back story written where his character finds the parts for the Killer Penny in a box buried in cave.  So I obliged that by finind the ugliset old box I could and makig with the dust and years of sitting around waiting to be discovered.

I delivered the saber to Corbin persoanlly the day before CIV in Los Angeles.

So, there you have a little more history of the Killer Penny (and some new pics on this site).

Offline Clark Kent

• Master Force User
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2013, 06:46:54 AM »
very "Steampunk-ish" no?  me likes  8)

Offline merCUrium

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2013, 11:07:10 AM »
Thank you WAT for sharing this piece of art.
Truly more than words can tell, now I understand and share all the KP love.
And additionally a real inspiration to go the machine-it-all way.

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2013, 11:44:56 AM »
One of the greatest things about The Killer Penny is that it has withstood the test of time.  It is just as amazing today as it was in 2007.  Still one of my all time favorites :).

Facebook: VVFB

Offline Darth Smorgis

• Master Force User
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2013, 12:18:50 PM »
Yup, has always been a favorite of mine as well.

The K3GR1 run was before my time, but I would totally jump on one if I ever got the chance. 

Wats un-named CF saber is also one of my top favorite builds of all times.

Offline gchu149

• Master Force User
  • Now we are cosmic friends forever, ok?
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2013, 01:32:22 AM »
Ah, the history of the Killer Penny! Plus, some nice pictures, I didn't know it had been weathered!
Strangely, the K3GR1 run was during my time, but then again, I had just joined the forum shortly before that and had no idea what was going on... I can only hope someday to own a saber as majestic as the Penny/K3Gr1 style saber (if one comes along!)
de CF
Click the link to view my collection at the very bottom of the page:
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=20080.msg330140#msg330140

Offline Goodman

• Master Force User
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2013, 03:08:48 AM »
I agree with Luminara, credit where credit is due to a TIMELESS DESIGN. The Killer Penny will simply, unequivocally, never be out of date. I can only hope to create something even near as immortal.
**I AM RETIRED from saber commission building**

Offline GENERAL GRIEVOUS

• Call 1-800-GENERAL now!
  • SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Artist formerly known as LDM
    • ldmcustomsabers.com
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2013, 11:57:25 PM »
I know two dudes who are K3GR1 "hoarders"...one owns Aqua, one owns the Shiny Quarter and both of them own a "few" more, trust me, It took a special client/person for me to let Oxidium go.  As far as the others go...the difficulty is that the current market would not bear the price that it would take to pry one from said persons cold durasteel/gauntlet-ed fingers.  :o

Now, a comment on this saber...in case y'all didn't notice, this saber is nearly a K3GR1 (minus the shrouds) twin.  The main body is anyways.  The details differentiate it, but trust me she is absolutely the very close descendant of the Killer Penny.

Offline Corbin_Das

• Force User
  • Keeper of the Killer Penny
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2013, 10:55:49 PM »
Looking good Ace..... I mean Wat.  :)

I particularly like those removable panels. The pommel is really cool too. The writing on the side of the ring is a nice touch I wish we had done with the Penny.  LOL

I'm glad people still appreciate the KP. It's definitely some of your best work (but I might be a little biased).

By the way, stay tuned.......the Killer Penny might just be making a comeback soon.  8)

retrousse