fiduciary

Author Topic: Release Date: Far, Far Away!  (Read 12275 times)

Offline Darth Plaguis

• Padawan Learner
  • Know the Ways of the Dark Side
Re: Release Date: Far, Far Away!
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2009, 12:44:37 AM »
Indeed this will be an interesting watch. I will wait to see what people say about it, then i just might jump on the HBO wagon  ;)

Offline Sidneyious

• Alias......Ninja of the Mist
  • Master Force User
    • Blog of my saber builds.
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2009, 06:07:38 AM »
Great, hbo, just the channel I dont want.

they are losing alot of an audience by going to channels like hbo, I imagine they will lose half the kinda audience they would get if they put it on something like the scifi channel which is more common than hbo.

Offline Luke S.

• under review
  • Master Force User
  • Romans 3:20-26 As simple as it gets.
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2009, 06:16:26 AM »
I agree.  No HBO for me.  I will wait until it comes out on DVD if it even is worth watching. 

Going HBO will hurt them if no one watches they lose sponsorship.  If they lose sponsorship they will need to move to another channel or they will tank.

Offline Sidneyious

• Alias......Ninja of the Mist
  • Master Force User
    • Blog of my saber builds.
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2009, 06:29:14 AM »
Well thats the thing, not everyone can get the dvds, like me. so if its not on another network they are so boned.

Offline Darth Plaguis

• Padawan Learner
  • Know the Ways of the Dark Side
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2009, 02:11:27 PM »
Hmmmm kind of makes me wonder why they would go the HBO route in the first place. Good point, if they don't have enough viewers or sponsorships, they are screwed. I guess we will just have to wait and see  :-\

Offline LadySythe

• Master Force User
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 02:21:51 PM »
Bah. GL has been making some rather bad choices lately and HBO for this serious is definitely one of them. I've got HD DTV and none of the movie channels like HBO. It's bad enough the new Animated movie and the corresponding tv series doesn't feel at all like SW nor like it should.

::)
ATTENTION: I will be leaving my Moderator status. Please do not pm me regarding this matter

MR Sabers: Dual Darth Maul 2006 **stolen** :'(
Grayven "Original"
"The Chosen" by Ben Kenobi
Static RLSA "Nameless" (gift from Vosk)

Offline Darth Xusia

• Master Force User
  • "quit cher whinin' and just build some sabers"
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2009, 03:23:33 PM »
Just found this. Sounds kinda dumb if you ask me.

http://jedi-robe.com/news.html?newsId=64
Thank you Photobucket for the best Sig ever!

Offline Master Mithric

• Force User
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2009, 09:23:05 PM »
what?? even though i really want to see the expanded universe characters, GL should at least include some form of jedi. perhaps some that are in hiding?? the idea of the rebel alliance is good, but there could be fans that will argue there won't be enough action.
LDM MR Luke V2 CSv1
Hasbro Obi TPM CF5
GCS Ascend CS2
Roman Props Inception
Korbanth Crossguard
Korbanth Graflex 2.0 TFA
Korbanth Graflex 2.0 ESB
Korbanth MPP ANH
Korbanth K4
Korbanth MW3

Master Replica Series:

Anakin AOTC Force FX
Yoda AOTC/ROTS Force FX
Vader ESB Force FX
Windu AOTC/ROTS Force FX
Luke Skywalker ROTJ Force FX

Hasbro Signature Series:

Count Dooku AOTC/ROTS
Anakin ROTS
Darth Maul TPM

Offline Jedi Knight Logan

• MASTER OF THE HURRICANE FLURRY
  • Master Force User
  • "Have lightsaber, will travel....."
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2009, 09:38:32 PM »
HBO or DVD?

DVD 8)

"A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack..."

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2009, 11:40:12 PM »
Okay just gonna pop in for a sec regarding this.

I personally don't have an issue with it being HBO.  In fact I am glad to see that George even considered HBO in the first place since both he and Jim Henson had contracts with them in the 80's.  In the mid 80's ILM designed the special effects for the HBO logo (if anyone remembers that far back).

HBO is also known for quality programming, hands down.  I have a feeling that HBO will let George do as he pleases, and may even offer up some extra talent to help out. 

As far as nudity goes... Just watch the Original cut of ROTJ... It's there. Sure it was in the moment of a character's demise, but there WAS a wardrobe malfunction with Oola. Personally, I think that griping about it is kind of ironic, since "Slave Leia" is so popular.  Sure it's not nudity, but it might as well be.

There won't be any purposeful nudes, and I am sure that GL will keep things tightly reigned in with the language. He always has.

Offline DarrynVarson

• Master Force User
  • Aspiring Jedi
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2009, 11:31:16 PM »
I personally will wait as long as it takes. I am looking forward to it and if I can't afford HBO then I will come up with something.

But for an alternative to HBO, what about TNT or TBS. I bring them up because I am pretty sure their show Saving Grace was all sorts of uncut and such. I maybe wrong but at the same time I don't see why it couldn't run on this network either. Even with the edgier content, shouldn't be a problem. They show Law & Order SVU for goodness sakes.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2009, 03:51:01 AM »
The comparisons with Deadwood and Sopranos concerns me...so does that mean it will be set on a remote 'frontier' planet of the outer rim full of 'rebel scum', bounty hunters and a Hutt crimelord or maybe a Black Sun vigo to be Tony Soprano? :-( A little of that might be okay but I don't see 100 hours worth much less the 400 hours once suggested [which always sounded ridiculous to me].

What I don't want is an 'outer space western'...if I wanted that I'd rewatch Serenity...that ISNT Star Wars.

No Solos, Skywalkers or major known characters I'm fine with...heck if they want to MOSTLY 'refocus' on ordinary non-Force-sensitive people of the Galaxy then I might even like that...but there'd better be SOME Jedi action on a regular basis cuz no Force and no lightsabers = any other mundane space opera not Star Wars.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline The Rebel

• Formerly known as Kyuubi
  • Master Force User
  • Rebel by nature, comedian by choice.
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2009, 08:34:32 AM »
that's kind of a downer that the skywalkers won't be in it. i was hoping to see the whole deal with older luke, mara jade and jacen solo becoming the next great sith lord.

That would be great to see, but this show is set between Episodes III and IV... so Jacen wouldn't be around, Luke and Mara would be little kids... I wonder if it's going to be set pre or post TFU though...

Full-blown nudity would be a problem, since kids like pretty much anything Star Wars related... but if it's going to be on HBO, there may be a little more violence... especially if it's dealing with the criminal presence in the SW universe. I mean, Jabba loved feeding people to rancors and sarlaacs, God knows what else he does to his prisoners (Not that they HAVE to show it, though). And if we see Boba in action, there may be quite a bit of carnage.

Star Wars has always had violence in it. The Clone Wars cartoons get around most violence, making the bad guys droids rather than people that the Jedi have to cut to pieces, but in the OT, Vader constantly Force Choked people, hands got chopped off, people got shot (a lot lol), people got eaten, people got blown up, etc... In the prequel trilogy, the deaths got a little more violent. Maul got chopped in half, Dooku got both hands and his head sliced off, Anakin lost his limbs and got burnt to a crisp, countless Jedi got massacred... I would expect this new series to have that same amount of violence, honestly.

Offline Darth Frodo

• Experienced Force User
  • Ahhh..Does not compute..Ahhh..Your under arrest
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2009, 08:14:05 AM »
hopefully it will feature starkiller

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2009, 09:17:00 AM »
Hopefully, one of the episodes will have zombies, .....much like this thread.

Locked, If anyone in the future hears of pertinent information regarding the Live Action show, feel free to PM a mod for the keys to this thread.

retrousse