fiduciary

Author Topic: SaberSD with LEDEngin 10W LED and Auxiliary Flash  (Read 20284 times)

Offline cannibal869

• I dub thee Darth..........Lecter.
  • Master Force User
  • NUCLEAR POWERED JEDI at work!!!
Re: SaberSD with LEDEngin 10W LED and Flash on Clash
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 01:49:25 PM »
The only reason I stated that I wonder if the relay can run off the clash wire and the battery pack negative is this... what if I didn't have a power extender?  What if someone else can make use of wiring it that way using a relay so that they can now use a vibration motor as well?

Meh... just get a transistor then.  I'm not sure if it's NPN or PNP but you get the idea.

As far as resistoring LEDs when the voltage needed to run them is the same as what the LED/s require... I did that in my diagrams to regulate current in case of a current spike, not to lower voltage.  Better safe than sorry.  Also I didn't want more experienced forum members coming down on me for not including resistors on the LEDs.  ;)  From what I read on the net, unless you are providing less voltage than what the LED is rated at for normal usage, it's always a good idea to use a resistor.

;)

Offline Skottsaber

• Master Force User
  • Calamus Gladio Fortior
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 02:54:10 PM »
You can tell a PX is an NPN. The aux in is a positive, and the power in and power out are negatives.

My Sabers:

Randomsabers Ravaster
CF Obi TPM
Saberconcepts Ahsoka Variant

Offline Scorpion

• Master Force User
  • GET OVER HERE!!!
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2011, 09:29:58 AM »
just incase anyone is wanting one the saber sd is now back in stock on hypers web site
http://www.hyperdynelabs.com/hyperblade/purchase.php

JQ SABERS MASTER ORGUS DIN CFX
JQ/LDM/MH GK3 OBI-WAN KENOBI Proffie
JQ MASTER REPLICAS LE SIDIOUS CONVERSION CS3
JQ~OM AWESOMESAUCE MAUL STAFF DUAL CFv7
LDM MKVI LUKE SKYWALKER ROTJ REVEAL CFv6
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN EP4 ANH (RUSSREP)CSV4
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX IV ANH CFv5
FX SABERS VINTAGE GRAFLEX V ESB CFv5
JQ SABERS OBI-WAN REVEAL AOTC CS3.0
JQ~VV STARKILLER #2 RUN1 CFv6 cex
JQ~OM ANAKIN "Skinnyflex" CS3
JQ~TRIDCLOUD ANAKIN AOTC CFv7
SC~VV QUIGON JINN #2 CFv5
OM OBIWAN TPM #2 CFv5
JQ SABERS LUKE ROTJ CFv4
JQ~korbanth DOOKU CS2
JQ~korbanth SIDIOUS CS2
JQ SABERS Kylo Ren CS3
LINK TO MY SABERS

Offline Revan Reborn

• Formerly known as dj2rbo
  • Master Force User
  • SHABBA!!
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2011, 01:52:33 PM »
Im actually waiting for the led blades itself. Which is taking 4 eva. I finally tried the above diagram and it works awesome! Thakn you to ARKM and Cannibal!! I however cant figure out how to make the clash and deflect sounds work as a "chain". Theres an annoying delay before the second sound font is played. I cant figure out how to make them overlap. Also the flash for the clash is very brief while the deflect clash lasts for two seconds. Lastly is the accelerometer on this board sucks. 

Watcha!! Darth Insidious gonna get cha!!!!!

Offline ARKM

• Master Force User
Re: SaberSD with LEDEngin 10W LED and Auxiliary Flash
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 04:34:19 PM »
All the settings are adjustable when it comes to setting off the clash or hum.  You might get better results if you tweak them (assuming you haven't already).

With the aux flash LEDs running off of the vibration motor pads, those LEDS will be lit for as long as the clash file plays.  This includes any amounts of zero volume areas in the sound file itself.  If they are not on long enough for you, you can edit the sound files in the WAV editor of your choice and make them longer.  Personally they are on too long for me when using the stock sound files that come with the CD that comes with the SaberSD... but then there are areas of zero volume at the beginning and end of those files that can be edited out.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 05:14:12 PM by ARKM »

Offline l33tLX

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 10:40:54 AM »
So do the second set of dies light up on deflects and lockup when using the clash output signal wired to a px?
or just when wired to the rumble motor pads.

Offline Revan Reborn

• Formerly known as dj2rbo
  • Master Force User
  • SHABBA!!
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 03:45:59 PM »
No. With a PE, it only flashes with clash and blaster block.

Watcha!! Darth Insidious gonna get cha!!!!!

Offline l33tLX

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2011, 12:15:44 AM »
That's a bummer

Offline Obi-Shane

• Master Force User
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2011, 03:05:51 PM »
Very Excited to see someone working with the Saber SD's now. Bought one over a year ago with big plans on making my first saber, only to be discouraged by the fact that i couldn't find hardly any information about them. My Plan, was for a 10w ledengine wired for purple and the G dye for the FoC. A blade pulse would be ideal, but without a LED driver I don't see a way. I've been eyeballing your wiring diagram now the past week or so, and I just wanted to say thank you. There would be a few things i would like to do differently, might ask you about that later. I have a quick question tho, I would like to drive the LED from the actual SD boards outputs, and not direct drive them. As well as the FoC. Gg dye. I'm just not sure what kind of transistors i would need, and/or a power extender. Erv doesn't seem to have any lying around on his site atm, and I was about to place my order from Tim for some parts. I've been keeping myself busy with my chassis design since i havent been able to wrap my head around the electronics hurdle yet ;)

Offline ARKM

• Master Force User
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2011, 11:00:00 AM »
You cannot drive the main LED from the board itself unless it is off the vibration motor pads and at no more than 600ma.  This is because the driving transistor for the vibration motor pads is rated at 600mA.  It may allow 700mA or more but that it will probably shorten the life of that component.  As such, If you run your main LED off of the vibration motor pads, you should probably adjust the voltage and resistance so that you are only providing 600mA to the LED.  Sadly, this means that you will be underdriving it as most LEDs that are used for the main LED in a saber require 700mA or greater.  So it can be done but you will be either undriving the LED or overdriving the vibration motor pad's driving transistor.  Of course you will need to set the config settings for the vibration motor to always be on and to supply the correct voltage and whatnot.

You can't run them off any of the normal leads on the board as it either won't work at all or the LEDs will always be on, even when the board is off (but still has power to it).  I know this because I tried it.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 05:14:29 PM by ARKM »

Offline Obi-Shane

• Master Force User
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2011, 02:40:10 PM »
Thanks for the reply ARKM, I'm leaning towards a Ledengine 5w blue, or a Seoul P4 instead , and a Constant current LED driver from TCSS. I was getting overly ambitious for my first saber and am thinking baby steps instead. As far as the Clash output goes, would it be possible to wire the SaberSd's clash output to the Led drivers input and use a transistor?

Edit: Also, are you using 2x 14500's or 4x?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 08:06:02 PM by Obi-Shane »

Offline ARKM

• Master Force User
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2011, 10:18:00 PM »
As for the first question, I don't think that would work as I believe those inputs are designed for constant current.  However, using a 10W LEDEngin you could just wire two of the four LEDs to the LED driver board and use the other two for aux flash and wire them using my method or cannibal869's method.

I think there is still an LED driver board that TCSS sells that will provide an auxiliary flash of some sort.  You may look into that as an option.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 05:14:44 PM by ARKM »

Offline Darth Inferis

• Master Force User
  • UK sabersmith
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2011, 08:13:05 AM »
Thanks!
The cool thing is this: I had the SaberSD board powered by two Li-Ion 14500's and the clash to powerextender circuit was hooked up to two dice on a 10W LEDEngin Amber LED.   Clash Flash was bright! :D

wiring diagram of what I'm talking about FYI

Rats. This was almost identical to the setup I was planning to use for my friends steampunk Graflex. The only problem is my hilt is already done & I'm limited to only using 2 single pole tactile momentary switches, one is being built into the sabers blingstrip & the other is going under the red button. I don't care if it's got blade flicker or not so is there any way to get a clash flash type effect with a Ledengin 10W amber without needing an LED driver board or a double pole switch?
Beware the Mark of the Gungan! :o

Offline ARKM

• Master Force User
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2011, 12:17:45 PM »
Darth Inferis, the only way to do what you want is to either run the main LEDs off of the vibration motor pad and underdrive them to 600ma (or run them at 700ma and risk shortening the lifespan of the sound board) or to use an additional board for the main LEDs such as the driver board (that you said you don't want to use) or a pololu board (like what is found in the Lighthound keychains).  You would still need the power extender for the aux flash LEDs.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 12:20:00 PM by ARKM »

Offline Darth Inferis

• Master Force User
  • UK sabersmith
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2011, 01:03:12 PM »
It's not really a case of not wanting to use an LED driver board, I'm just limited to having to use the 2 single pole momentary switches while a polulu/driver board would need a double pole switch to activate driver & sound boards. If I could use one single pole momentary switch to activate them both it wouldn't be a problem but I doubt that would work because of the difference in power requirements. If only there was some way to run a Ledengin 10W amber with the Hyperblade driver board I'd be in business. ::)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 01:11:44 PM by Darth Inferis »
Beware the Mark of the Gungan! :o

retrousse