fiduciary

Author Topic: Open-force alliance?  (Read 4488 times)

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
Open-force alliance?
« on: June 10, 2016, 03:36:52 PM »
I love lightsabers, but I also love open-source.
The fact that most sound-boards are proprietary and some manufacturers don't publish how they make their stuff because they fear copying is frustrating to me. Also, a lot of us happy amateurs who are not looking to make any money off of this hobby are happy to just publish our methods and let everybody use them.

If an open-force alliance was formed, where amateurs and professional alike can participate, and manufacturers who publish their source and specs receive some sort of special rank, would there be an in interest?

Please comment on this thread if you'd be interested in participating in such a thing. Also, please indicate if you have or plan to manufacture and sell sabers or props, or if you fall into the "amateur" category. I'd be especially interested in hearing from the forum admins/moderators to see if this forum would be a good place to form such an alliance.

I mean on disrespect to the established makers in this forum, and while I recognize that open-source products may potentially compete with their offered products, I think open-source and specs is still a very very good thing for the community as a whole. I don't want to force anybody, or steal intellectual property, I just want to recognize and reward people who live up to the ideals of the maker community.

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
Re: Open-force alliance?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 07:21:27 PM »
You should check out the Arduino forum. There are two proven DIY sound board solutions posted there in very active threads complete with source code and schematics. This of of course if you know what you're looking for and don't mind digging through all the posts.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 11:02:46 PM »
Interesting, I've only found one so far, what's the other one?

Either way, I think the Open-force alliance is pretty dead, since literally nobody seems to be interested in it.
Doesn't stop me from sharing everything I make though.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 07:46:19 AM »
Just a guess but there might have been more interest in the early days of the hobby when there really weren't good soundboards already on the market or during some of the 'gone in 6 seconds' days of instant sell-out runs when there weren't enough of them. Also for a number of saberfans I suspect it is enough of a learning curve to learn the other aspects of saber building [especially if they have no previous DIY experience] that they really don't want to add delving THAT deep into the intricacies of electronics when brilliant people like Erv have already done it for us. Those who do have the spirit of innovation to attempt it should be respected but we've seen over the years there have been many people who have announced wanting to pursue new soundboard designs but very few have ever come to market with their designs as actual products. Perhaps that may also deter some people from what you suggest? Good Luck and MTFBWY.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 10:41:09 AM »
Impossible. Not everyone is  a 'nice person' and there are certain unmentionable 'companies' who are more like 'scavengers' or snakes just waiting to copy and steal designs to send abroad for cheaper production and cheaper components and ultimately... cheaper products. These companies prove their nature day in and day out and you can see the outcome online if you search. Sometimes I assume that 'oh the person loves Star Wars such as I do therefore they are a good person.' Not so, they could be a Sith! They aren't necessarily a Jedi. As JakeSoft has said, there are open source boards to play with in the Arduino line and ones you can get that could power a saber start at 30 dollars or less that is a perfect place to start with doing coding or adding-on to existing coding from the Arduino forums. Any other boards are proprietary and much effort and years of dedication has gone into the making of proprietary boards and sourcing their components.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 12:06:13 PM »
I don't agree that it's impossible, but I understand where you're coming from, now let's see if I can explain where I'm coming from (without jedi mind tricks..)

Let me start off with a brain teaser:

What is the optimal amount of software piracy?

If you listen to the BSA, the optimal amount is 0%, however, some of the most successful computers in history were partially fuled by rampant software piracy. (C64, Amiga, Atari, PCs...) These software platforms became popular because ripped software were plentiful, but because they were popular, they also generated lots of sales of software. While it's not possible to know, I feel pretty certain that c64 hardware and software sales would have been pretty abysmal without piracy.

For other industries, such as music, movies and lightsabers, the economy works out differently, but it's likely that the optimal amount of piracy is not actually zero in most cases I think.

Anyways, back to open source...

When I publish something as open-source, it is in fact impossible for someone to steal it, since I've already given them permission to do so. I would prefer if they contribute patches back to the original code or design, but I if they don't I'm fine with that too. What's more, with open-source, the more people who use the code, the better the code gets. It develops faster and becomes more feature-rich.  When I make open-source things, I want people to use it, and I don't care if they make money from it either.

I feel like a quote from Richard Hamming is appropriate here:

Indeed, one of my major complaints about the computer field is that whereas Newton could say, "If I have seen a little farther than others, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants," I am forced to say, "Today we stand on each other's feet." Perhaps the central problem we face in all of computer science is how we are to get to the situation where we build on top of the work of others rather than redoing so much of it in a trivially different way. Science is supposed to be cumulative, not almost endless duplication of the same kind of things.

Anyways, I'm not going to try to push open-source on the lightsaber community, but I reserve the right to say "I told you so" later. :)

Offline Kolgrima

• Force User
  • Never tell me the odds!
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 06:31:33 PM »
I think this is an excellent idea, and I would love to be a part of an Open-force alliance. (Nice name by the way...) open source hardware works great for all the reasons profezzorn has already outlined. I've been working on Arduino based solutions for awhile now and would be happy to share my ideas.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 01:29:18 AM »
I think this is an excellent idea, and I would love to be a part of an Open-force alliance. (Nice name by the way...) open source hardware works great for all the reasons profezzorn has already outlined. I've been working on Arduino based solutions for awhile now and would be happy to share my ideas.

Cool, a kindred spirit!
Do you have a build log or a source repository or something? I'd be curious what you're working on.
My build log can be found over in Saber Modifications & Customs.

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 04:41:04 PM »
Cool, a kindred spirit!
Do you have a build log or a source repository or something? I'd be curious what you're working on.

Whoa, how am I just finding out about your project now? Looks like a good start and a combination of parts that I haven't seen used in this context before. Excellent: an original design! Now I think you should defiantly join us over on the Arduino forums. You'll fit right in!

I agree with what you said before about open source solutions. If you go into them thinking about how you're going to protect your IP and make money then you've already got the wrong attitude. I'm with you in that I'm more interested in having fun and sharing ideas than profit. That's why I post up my designs and code and such for folks to share, usually under GPL so anyone can use it.

The way I see it is this: Building lightsabers is fun. Running a business is a headache and a tax nightmare.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 05:04:51 PM »
Whoa, how am I just finding out about your project now?

Because there is no open-force alliance?

Offline Kolgrima

• Force User
  • Never tell me the odds!
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 06:42:00 PM »
Cool, a kindred spirit!

When I started looking into a arduino sound board (for some crazy reason) I didn't think anyone would really care too much about it, so I never documented any of it. The only thing I released was a very small library I wrote for the soundboard buttons [link below]. Then I discovered this awesome community and saw others like JakeSoft and Protonerd working on the same idea. So I am planning on starting retro-active Build log soon.

GitHub - JCWentzel/PolymorphicButtons: A simple Arduino library to make

Offline Professor Huyang

• Formerly known as TyFighter
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Baron
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 08:15:47 PM »
I've been putting together a library of open sourced sounds that could be used for lightsabers, so we can avoid using samples from the films for font making in the near future. 

It still needs a lot of work, but I would be happy to contribute the Foley work I come up with to this project.
"Many years I have been on this ship teaching many a Jedi before you, and I will continue teaching many a Jedi after you. Call me what you want, but inside my memory banks I contain a record of every lightsaber ever made, and the Jedi who fashioned it."
―Huyang

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 01:10:59 AM »
Thought I'm probably not the best person to post about open-source and soundboards, I thought I'd chime in anyway, for the following reasons :

- I do support open-source, I publish, and I share, just not in the saber context, but that doesn't mean I don't do it

- I do use open-source as a developer, when building prototypes, or simply working in european projects, our stuff is published very often

now regarding a few statements above, and while I understand (sort of) where some of you are coming from, I don't really like the innuendo that "I'd be frustrating people" because of not publishing my work. Said like that is probably a shortcut about what you think, but it sounds like a due where it's not.

that's not about it's right / wrong and I second that there can be an economy related to open-source, but i'm just surprised that people are trying to fit and match open source in any context, would it be personal utopia or personal expectation / achievement / "dream". The context is as important as the open source topic.

My observations during the 10 years I've been around show the the huge diversity of people interested in SW or in ligthsaber building in particular. In this huge community, there's a large majority of people which goal is to *own* a lightsaber or... several (many of those people have... a problem lol  :cheesy:). A smaller group of people are interested in building a lightsaber by themselves. An even smaller group of people is interested in building sabers for the first group of people and eventually make money from it (and/or create an artistic lifestyle and make a living from it)

The misconception lies in the fact that because building is interesting (learning process, achievement, progress, giving a meaning to your life), anybody should be hardcore and build from scratch everything but....

IT DEPENDS(tm)

because it interests YOU to do something from scratch, or because you want something custom that doesn't exist (yet), like it's been the case for me in 2005 (no configurable, in-the-hilt sound module with gesture recognition, let's build one) doesn't mean it HAS to interest everyone. Most people are going to enjoy a building process using parts (HW store parts in the past, TCSS parts now), some from the mechanical engineering background (loads of those in the former lightsaber community, including jeff parks, orbital machining etc) will machine stuff from scratch / billet and so be it. There's just not just one way to do it, purist will only consider from scratch bespoke work, and others from the mainstream culture will be happy with stuff produced with parts from various manufacturers.

I consider myself as a maker and part of the maker movement, both at work (day job I mean) and at home. But I don't make everything, I still buy M4 nuts and screws, booooo... (well... I DO machine and thread parts too). Because something is available doesn't mean that it has to be interesting for everyone just because it's there. What I'm saying is that most people are interest in building a saber, not in building a soundboard, which is "just" one part to achieve a goal, considered as more important : the prop replica.

That is my main answer to why people aren't much interested in open-alliance : there are very little developers and... people are interested in building the final prop, or some of its components (crystal chamber for instance). People still buy switches and batteries and don't build them, the interest is elsewhere.

Now that being said, that doesn't remove anything to the interest you're having in this topic. The question is will you be interested the same way in cutting your own crystals or machine / thread your parts, buy a lathe etc. Possibly yes or maybe not.

Now, that takes me to another part of dev and open-source. As the sound board (in our particular example) is nevertheless an important component, it's understandable that you want this and that in it in addition of your interest in building things yourself. I totally support that.
However, when you are doing this "dev" as a maker, you are still using a platform designed by somebody else (open source too) and libraries written by somebody else.

While it looks like you are therefore doing electronic R&D at a lower level than the lightsaber, you are actually using parts (HW or SW) made by others, those could actually be open source or not (there a many libs available a compiled objects and documentation that you can use, would you be a maker or a pro). So at the end, you are still assembling technologies / devs made by others and write your own glue, which is totally valuable and interesting.

which takes me to the point :
The way I see it is this: Building lightsabers is fun. Running a business is a headache and a tax nightmare.

Sure (and trust me, I feel entitled to know about it). But you are relying on those companies and business to purchase your arduino and teensy and breakout boards. Sure, you *COULD* do everything yourself but would have you got started without the infrastructure (IDE, libs, hardware platform, dev boards) without this pre-munched work ? maybe yes if your background is electronic engineering like myself. What I'm saying is that your fun also depends on the work (commercial, open or closed source) made by others. Spitting on commerce or highlighting that you have no interest for it in such way you devaluate the work makes no sense to me.

Second myth about open source :

What's more, with open-source, the more people who use the code, the better the code gets. It develops faster and becomes more feature-rich.

That's wrong and delusional (as sad as it can be). Well people will use the code, sort of, by flashing themselves firmware version ADZB-rev11.2 because they read on the forums that it's better than 11.1. However, the actual contribution of people to improve, correct and grow the code base is very limited when you look at the numbers. Just take the GRBL project. So many CNC made with it, some of them are commercial products (like the carvey we purchased at work). Still, when you look at the contribution, the number of participants is ridiculous and the ACTUAL number of what I call core people (the cooks in the kitchen) is... two. And unlike Inventable, a lot of people will actually get the code, eventually improve it / change it and will never contribute back or post their changes, because they don't have to, so why bother.

Which take me to *your* point (which is great)

When I make open-source things, I want people to use it, and I don't care if they make money from it either.

which is awesome and thank you for that but that's just about what you want (your and some others). What about the rest of the community ? what do they want ?

The idea that open source is seen as the only valid way to accelerate the dev and the features is just plain wrong. My (and OUR, as a community) experience within those past 10 years is that the improvements, feature list of the Crystal Focus board was a very fast process based on real-time exchange with the community, their ideas, some of mines and what we wanted the lightsaber to become... and me as the coding xxx. As a result, I get a what if we do this and that on one day, and get the result the next day.

I'm not saying open source couldn't help but in my case if we're talking about 2-4 core contributors, me included, it's as valid to say let's sign a NdA to work on this project as opening the sources. The debate is elsewhere, what I'm saying is that MOST people wouldn't care about writing a single line of code, they were just interested in OBTAINING a board with a certain list of features. This is why I have a (small) network of affiliate with whom I do some of the R&D and that that I *still* exchange with the makers and builders to hear what they want, then implement it.

Of course, having other people to work on the code with me would make things even faster than they currently are but surprisingly, in 10 years, I've only received people's email asking me to send the files so that they could start a company on their own with the existing state-of-art, not to make it any better or with the will to participate. And no will to further publish their contribution.

Which takes me to the other point regarding this community. I'm not saying open-source should be opposed to anything. However, I often see (pseudo) altruistic statements about I don't care about the money, or running a business, I just publish what I do etc. Again, I applaud the dev, the work and (some of) the results. I read here and there "I have no plans to make runs of those, sources are there for who is happy to use it, people can just make their own".

What about those who can't ? who have no interest in this ? To be a perfect devil's advocate, this is where open source is giving the finger to the community, you want this, CAD files are there, so just make it yourself. Not everybody will, or can.
To quote Tim from TCSS when we discussed this topic long ago "I didn't create my company to tell my customers to get a lathe and a machine shop".

Providing info / source is one thing, actively helping the community to grow and make sure a larger number of people could participate to the hobby, either with a nail file or a good shop and without asking them to make their own PCBs (or order them at OSH parts) then solder by hand 50 SMD parts.

Don't get me wrong, there's not open-source bashing in the above. I salute your attitude, but you could also consider the results of 10 years of work rather than "spitting" your frustration or lack of care for the companies that are providing you the tools with which you craft your fun.

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 05:58:58 AM »
which takes me to the point :

Sure (and trust me, I feel entitled to know about it). But you are relying on those companies and business to purchase your arduino and teensy and breakout boards. Sure, you *COULD* do everything yourself but would have you got started without the infrastructure (IDE, libs, hardware platform, dev boards) without this pre-munched work ? maybe yes if your background is electronic engineering like myself. What I'm saying is that your fun also depends on the work (commercial, open or closed source) made by others. Spitting on commerce or highlighting that you have no interest for it in such way you devaluate the work makes no sense to me.
All I meant by that is that *I* am not interested in running a business or producing products for sale. Others can of course do as they wish. It wasn't an attempt to devalue those who choose to produce parts and such for sale. Heck, you're my inspiration, Erv! Your stuff is the gold standard, keep up the good work by all means!
I'm also with you in that those with both interest and skills to build their own sound/light control solutions are a small subset of a small subset of a small subset of the population. As you said, most folks just want a saber to spin around.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 06:40:56 AM by JakeSoft »

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 10:55:06 AM »
Yikes, that's a lot!
I'm just going to comment on a few things I don't agree with, because I'm not interested in starting a open-source vs closed-source debate. As you point out, it's entirely a personal choice, and there is no right or wrong.

now regarding a few statements above, and while I understand (sort of) where some of you are coming from, I don't really like the innuendo that "I'd be frustrating people" because of not publishing my work. Said like that is probably a shortcut about what you think, but it sounds like a due where it's not.

That's not what I meant, and if that's how it came across I apologize.
I'm very much a tinkerer, and one of the things I want to experiment with is synthezising sound in real-time. As far as I can tell, none of the existing sound-boards will let me do that, which is why *I* felt some frustration.  I am however a unique case, there is only one of me....

that's not about it's right / wrong and I second that there can be an economy related to open-source, but i'm just surprised that people are trying to fit and match open source in any context, would it be personal utopia or personal expectation / achievement / "dream". The context is as important as the open source topic.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm not trying to change the industry or berate people for not choosing open-source. I was just hoping to create a place where the open-source nuts can congregate and share ideas. If some of the existing players would be a part of that, I'd be super-happy, but if not, it's their choice and I respect that.

The misconception lies in the fact that because building is interesting (learning process, achievement, progress, giving a meaning to your life), anybody should be hardcore and build from scratch everything but....

Uh? Where did you get that from?

The idea that open source is seen as the only valid way to accelerate the dev and the features is just plain wrong. My (and OUR, as a community) experience within those past 10 years is that the improvements, feature list of the Crystal Focus board was a very fast process based on real-time exchange with the community, their ideas, some of mines and what we wanted the lightsaber to become... and me as the coding xxx. As a result, I get a what if we do this and that on one day, and get the result the next day.

Speed of development is simply a function of numbers of hours spent by competent developers, open-source or closed-source.  Closed-source can make it easier to establish a cash-flow to pay those developers. Open-source develops faster only if enough people use it, and enough of of them are competent developers, it depends on the size of the community, the business model(s) involved and a host of other things.

Either way: I have not said that open-source is the only way, and neither has anybody else in this thread, so I don't know where you're getting that from.

One thing that open-source gives you that closed-source does not: It makes it possible for anybody determined enough to add their own features to the code. With closed-source you'd have to pay (or beg) the developer to add the feature, and you're beholden to their schedule and priorities.

What about those who can't ? who have no interest in this ? To be a perfect devil's advocate, this is where open source is giving the finger to the community, you want this, CAD files are there, so just make it yourself. Not everybody will, or can.
To quote Tim from TCSS when we discussed this topic long ago "I didn't create my company to tell my customers to get a lathe and a machine shop".

What? You're essentially saying that because I don't want to build lightsabers for other people, or sell my ideas as easy-to-use products, I'm giving the finger to the community? That's just absurd. If that's the case, then anybody who designs anything and then doesn't offer to build it for other people is also giving the finger to the community.

I realize that not everybody is going to be interested in "building from scratch", but there seems to be a fine community of people out there willing to do that for money, so what's the problem? If people *LOVE* my ideas, then TCSS can package them up and sell them in an easy-to-use form, and if they don't, well, then who cares?

Don't get me wrong, there's not open-source bashing in the above. I salute your attitude, but you could also consider the results of 10 years of work rather than "spitting" your frustration or lack of care for the companies that are providing you the tools with which you craft your fun.

I don't think I've been doing any "spitting", I certainly didn't mean to. I really do appreciate the community and the work that that has gone into it. I'm fairly new to the lightsaber community, and I'm bound to put my foot in my mouth every now and then, and for that I'm sorry.  I happen to think that open-source would help the community, but not necessarily every member of the community, which I am sorry for, but it's no different than competition from other closed-source alternatives.

retrousse