fiduciary

Author Topic: Igniter(tm) R2 is here!!!!!  (Read 8972 times)

Offline naigon

• Board Moderator
  • Experienced Force User
  • Naigon's Electronic Creations
    • SaberIgniter.com
Igniter(tm) R2 is here!!!!!
« on: May 03, 2012, 07:57:29 PM »
Igniter(tm) R2 is here!

After months of work and beta testing, the R2 release is finally released and ready to ship! Starting right now, every board that ships out will ship with the new update. No need to wait for new features, they are ready now!

And, if that isn't sweet enough, in honor of "May the 4th Be With You", I"m having a special sale for tomorrow only, which means you can get these new features at a discounted price. More on that in another thread.

R2 - What is it?
For those who don't know, R2 is my second release of Igniter(tm). It is a firmware update on top of the existing platform to fix some issues from the first release, along with adding some extra functionality that I didn't have time to do in R1 and just didn't think of. My releases will be called R2, R3, ... RN until I do a complete redesign to all lots more features :)

Video
Here's the video of the release. The features are also listed below, but if you want to be surprised until you watch the video don't scroll down.

http://youtu.be/0Fqc6pCj5cc

Edit:
CorSec featuring Igniter(tm) R2:
CorSec with Igniter(tm) R2

A few of my testers should also be putting up their videos as well to show the varied results you can get with the board.

Features
Besides the audio speed up fix (which I backported into R1 so most folks have the sped up audio) there were five major adds to Igniter(tm) R2.

For these releases I am planning on given them a theme and adding features that tell a story so to speak. On that note this release is The Color Release. 2 color bugs and 3 new features were added mostly around color to really be 3 steps ahead in the color changing game.

The fixes and features are:

1. Fix the bug where if a color (main, color1, color2, crystal) was on during run, then setting it to zero would not turn the color off. This was reported on FX and is now fixed.

2. Fix the bug where minColor affects the flash effects. Again this was discovered by me and also on FX. It makes using minColor much better since you can remove that color during your flash.

3. New feature 1 - 'clashLen'. I added this parameter to the config file so that the length of the clash is now configurable based on a randomly sampled interval around the config value. This allows the clash to be set to short pulse or a long value as before, by setting it to like 4000 ms. It will always choose the shorter of your wav file length or the config value, so 4000 should always be the length of the file.

4. New feature - Blaster block color! Config variables 'mBlstC', 'c1BlstC', 'c2BlstC', 'crystBlstC', and 'fBlstC' were added to set the blast colors for the main, color1, color2, crystal and flash dies respectively. The existing flash colors are used only for Clash/Lockup, and these new colors are used for the blaster block. This allows three colors to be set: running blade color, clash/lockup and blast for 27 distinct colors.

5. New feature!!! - Blast Shade(tm) and Clash Shade(tm).
This feature is the ultimate in my opinion, and adds a new level of realism that will launch sabers into the next level. The current model has been you set a color for the flash (and now blast) effects, and then that color is used every single time.. That means if you do 50 blasts in a row you get the same color.

Well, in my opinion that isn't realistic. Think of 20 people shooting at you. Each of them have different blasters with different characteristics, which would cause the 'blaster beam' color to differ. Even if they had the same model blaster mechanical tolerances would probably mean the colors varied slightly.

Thus Clash Shade(tm) and Blast Shade(tm) is born. This is another value that is set from 0-255, but it represents the amount you want the effect to vary. For example, if the RGB value for your clash is set to 255,255,0 (yellow-orange) but with ClashShade(tm) value with 40, each time you clash you will get a different color in the orange-yellow spectrum. This adds the realism element.

Now, do you love colors?! Just set the shade value to 255, and you will pretty much get a completely random color! The every color saber is now here, ready to use.

Config Editor updates
The config editor has also been updated to allow use of the new features in the simulator. While I was adding those, I also made a few other changes, including:

• Fixed a crashing bug when Ignite-ulator(tm) was running and a new font is opened
  • Added red coloring to values that will change in Ignite-ulator(tm)
  • Fixed the description in some cases

Closing thoughts
Thanks to all my testers who worked tirelessly on this, and thanks everyone for the support. I hope you enjoy the unique and original features I brought to the table.

Happy May 4th :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 08:30:43 PM by naigon »
Naigon
Igniter developer/creater - my site is in my profile!
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=29490.0

Offline IndustrialAction

• Master Force User
  • IAC - Elegant designs with a more civilized edge
    • IndustrialAction Customs
Re: Igniter(tm) R2 is here!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 08:10:47 PM »
I'm so excited to see this hit the streets. I've updated my CorSec thread with my R2 demo!

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=35743.msg484056;topicseen#msg484056

Offline Corran Horn

• Formerly known as Keil Edge
  • Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • CSJ Props an NEC Certified Installer
    • CSJ Props
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 08:24:52 PM »
This is AWESOME Naigon!!!

I'm getting one of these FOR SURE!!!

IA, I watched your demo, seems like Corsec was MADE for this board man! Stellar vid.

"It's only stupid if we die doing it, otherwise it's heroism." -Corran Horn-

Offline Gil Gamesh

• Formerly known as Kit Fisto
  • Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 08:33:18 PM »
Igniter R2 demo, going through multiple fonts.  

SPECS in hilt:
10w RGBA with B on main, G on C1, A on C2, R on F-
7.4v 18650 li-on 3100mah pack
2w JQ speaker

I still need to tweak a few of the retraction effects, but for the most part these are what I would conside soild configs.  I have the blaster blocks set for a very fast flash, so you'll see more lockups to demonstrate the different flash colors on a single font.  The videos seem like there is a delay or space between effects and sounds, but they happen right on que in person, no sure what's up there.  I also kept camera settings plain so it freaks out from time to time with all the brightness

VIDEOS:

R2

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j45/norbits/?action=view&current=00026.mp4

CFv5.1 Green blade with blue blast/FoC alongside Igniter R2 green blade with blue blast/flash

video apparently got corrupted, so here's 2 previous unfinished configs I was trying out with my boy
http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j45/norbits/?action=view&current=00021.mp4
http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j45/norbits/?action=view&current=00022.mp4

CFv5.1 WT Obi Bespin font along Igniter R2 Bespin font

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j45/norbits/?action=view&current=00028.mp4

Overall my photo and video taking skills are uber fails
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 09:35:17 PM by Gil Gamesh »
Support our Font Makers!

Offline nartules

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 08:42:06 PM »
Two big updates for soundboard lovers in one day!  Best May the 4th EVAR!  3 colors on 1 saber...no scratch that...all colors on 1 saber without turning it off!

I am astounded by the shade option as well as the ability to set your blaster block as a seperate color, or changing colors.  This pushes the realism (if lightsabers were real that is) to an entirely different level.  Waiting for my son's saber to be ready is going to be agonizing now, and waiting for my igniter powered saber even more so.

I think I might cry a little...i...am...so...happy.. :'(

Time will bring the real end of our trial.  One day they'll be no remnants

Offline IndustrialAction

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 08:42:53 PM »
Wow, great work Gil! I'm shocked how much difference there is in the audio. That was an excellent comparison. Igniter sounds awesome!

Offline Sandpeople are people too

• Once made Darth Vader Chuckle
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 08:55:20 PM »

SPECS in hilt:
2w JQ speaker

I still need to tweak a few of the retraction effects, but for the most part these are what I would conside soild configs.  I have the blaster blocks set for a very fast flash, so you'll see more lockups to demonstrate the different flash colors on a single font.  The videos seem like there is a delay or space between effects and sounds, but they happen right on que in person, no sure what's up there.  I also kept camera settings plain so it freaks out from time to time with all the brightness

VIDEOS:

R2

CFv5.1 Green blade with blue blast/FoC alongside Igniter R2 green blade with blue blast/flash

video apparently got corrupted

Wow.  no other comments are needed.

Offline ARKM

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 09:00:11 PM »
Dang it!  I need a real job so I can finally get an igniter!  Being poor sucks.  :(

Well done Naigon.  Those new features are very cool.

Offline Aus_Jedi_Killer

• Master Force User
  • You wanna buy some deathsticks? :D
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 09:00:33 PM »

SPECS in hilt:
2w JQ speaker

VIDEOS:

R2

video apparently got corrupted

ROFL i think there may be a clear winner here :D

Offline Corran Horn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • CSJ Props
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 09:07:57 PM »
Ya, I have to say, heck of a comparison Gil.  Wow. I've seen a lot of vids of both boards and that's the first straight up comparison I've seen done.  It blew me away man.

The sound on that Igniter was so crisp and clear.  When you fired it up I could'be sworn I was watching the ESB duel all over again.  These new effects are just amazing too. 

Thank you so much for that video man.  I loved it.

And thank YOU Naigon for bringing us this upgrade!

Offline nartules

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 09:08:12 PM »
Gil...I think you need a new camera...is that your basement?

Offline IndustrialAction

• Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 09:13:35 PM »
Hey, no more basement jokes!!  ;)

Gil, I moved my video spot to the garage to appease the hecklers.

/end thread jack

Offline Corran Horn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • CSJ Props
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 09:16:45 PM »
Gil...I think you need a new camera...is that your basement?

I love how easy the color mixing is on Igniter, so much simpler to come up with a "nice cyan".

Offline Gil Gamesh

• Formerly known as Kit Fisto
  • Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 09:30:55 PM »
Hey, no more basement jokes!!  ;)

Gil, I moved my video spot to the garage to appease the hecklers.

/end thread jack

I totally went to the garage and hung the sheet on the door!!  :D  I think my issue was it was too dark and the sabers just too bright.  I'll take some more tomorrow and have a little bit of light so the sabers aren't quite so bright and my camera should behave :)
Support our Font Makers!

Offline nartules

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 09:49:09 PM »
Looking forward to it.  I think the lighting was what was causing the issue with the sound/video delays as well.  Your camera couldnt adjust to the light settings quick enough to keep up with the audio output.

EDIT: I just realized that with the shade feature you could have a yellow Bling on Cling that is sometimes yellow/amber/orange/red/redish orange, which just kicks the game up a whole other notch.  Then you could have a blue/green/bluish green blaster block that looks different each time, but still rather the same.  So it makes it look like an enemy or two is blasting away at you.  Plus with the whole ability to have continous blaster blocks chain...omg this is better than a kinect game could ever be.

I'm about to ask someone to stick an igniter in a broom handle just so I can play with it :)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 11:02:05 PM by nartules »

retrousse