fiduciary

Author Topic: Request Thread for NEW sound fonts (ALWAYS READ ORIGINAL POST FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!)  (Read 97051 times)

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • NCSCS - Sabercombat.com
    • DIAMOND DRAGONS: Humans stand, heroes fall--but DRAGONS are *Forever*...
Re: Request Thread for new sound fonts...
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 08:14:42 PM »
Nova,

Is there an accurate Vader ROTJ yet floating around somewhere?  I have not yet seen one.

To me, it sounded a bit different than Empire or ANH but maybe someone with better audio can clarify if it was just my ears.
The "Episode VI" font I made for CD#1 is basically Luke v Vader (their sounds NATURALLY get blended together during the fight)... so... it's just as well to call it a Vader EP 6 as a Luke EP 6.

This actually brings me to the point that I've been trying to make over the years that I think no one fully understands yet... when people ask for a "[character name here] sound font" from Episode ___ ... what they don't realize is that they are actually MOSTLY asking for sounds from a BATTLE (which is between 2 or more people/characters, heheh)... in which the sounds are... um... somewhat "shared"?

As in... which sound TRULY comes from fighter #1's saber?  Which one comes from fighter #2's and so forth.

Now all this information/thinking just BEGS to be a different thread... but... there ya go, now I said it.  :)

It's also why I've called most all of my SW fonts "Episode __" instead of naming it / limiting it to a character.  Although it could easily be argued that one font "leans" more toward being a lightside dude/dudette vs. a bad guy.  For example Episode I, lol--which is probably more "Darth Maul" than it is young Obi-Wan... but... uhhhhh-ohhhhh, they are both FIGHTING AT THE SAME TIME, heheh!

Still... other fonts--like Madcow's "Heirloom" or my "EP IV - Training Bot"--aim to show one character specifically "working on his own".  Namely--Luke.  When you think about it... Luke's the only one who spent a lot of time alone with his saber...

:o  .... (!)  Hmm.  Maybe I worded that wrong.   ;D

ANYhow!!  Back to the requests!  Keep 'em coming!!  I like what I'm seeing--people with good ideas... some links/help/sample examples(?)... and even some thinking on what sounds should/could go where.  From there, I'll have a good basis to build the fonts--at least I hope...

I will do what I must.
I will try.  :)
* Former creator and owner of SaberCombat
* CUSTOM SOUND FONT LIST --->
Click here for Nova's 100+ custom sound fonts!
* PERFORMANCE HIGHLIGHTS ---> Click here for Nova's saber performance work...
* DIAMOND DRAGONS ---> Diamond Dragons: A feature-length screenplay being developed by Matthew 'Novastar' Carauddo

I don't post often on forums anymore.  If you want to e-mail me: novastar1138@gmail.com, or visit me on Facebook:

Click here.

Offline nartules

• Master Force User
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 08:19:13 PM »
A Final Fantasy font, it should be reasonably simple to do with the various iterations of the games to date, I may try to make one using the SNES era games only after I learn the software

This would be awesome...I would think you would have better luck with 7 and beyond (although 3 had theultima sword which was a green blade made of light :)

Scott Pilgrim vs the world had some nice sound effects during the last sword fight when Gideon pulls out his digital sword.  There is a hum/class/swing sound effects(it starts at 8:40 of this youtube clip I got the blu ray as well)  

Fixed da linky
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 09:03:36 PM by nartules »

Time will bring the real end of our trial.  One day they'll be no remnants

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 12:31:10 AM »
just posting to say I'm excited about that thread ! *thumbs up*  :)

Offline Azmaria Dei

• Mistress of the Crumbles
  • Force User
  • In sleep do I find my peace.
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 12:48:26 AM »
i had a dream as i was sleeping about a couple sound fonts... one was static sounds... pops and stuff like you would find on an old TV... the other? too awesome to describe... it was like... it sounds from... wow... i can't even... a harp maybe? but not... sorry - i'll try and remember my dream better and get back to you.

Offline DarkSta

• Force User
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 02:39:34 AM »
Another video game sond font.  Travis' Beam Katana from No More Heroes

Lightsaber Collection:
MR Luke ANH
MR Vader ANH
Custom MHS Red Rebel PC-L
Custom MHS Green Seoul P4 US 2.5
OM Obi TPM BBBB LEDengin FOC CF5 #6
GCS Corran Horn RBGW LEDengin FOC CF5.1 #17

Offline mttmuir

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 05:05:55 AM »
I know you have done a steel sword, but what about The Master Sword from The Legend of Zelda.  Maybe some clash sounds with Link's yell and the beam sound when you are fully powered up as a aux sound.

Offline Warlock Kush

• No Force
  • Dark Wizard of the Sith
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 06:58:18 AM »
Dragonball Z! The sound when a Super Saiyan is powered up would make a great idle hum! Also, there would be some great power on sound oppurtunities! "Kaioken!"  :D

"Malificent"--Ultrasabers Dark Shock w/Sith sound__Blazing Red
"Carnage"--Ultrasabers SS ed. RGB Raven
"Dominator"--Ultrasabers Bane w/Obsidian__Pyrestone Orange/Dark Violet
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=30748.0

Warlock Umbra on saberforum.com

Offline Big_Furry_Oaf

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2011, 10:16:34 AM »
I'd really like a Thor-themed font.  
The activation would be a very prominent clap of thunder.
The hum would be sizzling Tesla-Coil type electricity maybe with some wind to simulate a storm.
Thor uses a hammer, so maybe some more intense rushing air or a whooshing sound for the swing.
Of course, more thunder for the clashes.  And since it's a hammer possibly a thud or crunch sound like something being hit by something very heavy.

As for Doctor Who...
The activation or deactivation would have to be the Tardis sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdIsHig7Hcg

For the hum I would mix some of the odd "beeping" or sci-fi-sounding effects at the beginning of this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6kvjP3mpG8
Mixed with the sonic screwdriver:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K7QHWZLxFo
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77e3YNN_ROM

As for the clash... I'm at a loss for that one.  The new series Sonic makes this odd noise when he flips it open but I can't really find a sound for that.
OH!  You MUST include "EXTERMINATE" in there somewhere.  I highly recommend the ones at 5:34.  And you should probably use all 3 "exterminate"s...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQLbwOGT8eM&feature=related
A problem is that the Doctor doesn't really have too many weapons.  That's just not how he rolls.  The show is filled with sci-fi sound effects, and they're usually kind of generic or public domain sounds because they have no budget.  There aren't many other iconic sounds from the series, so just about any kind of cool, kinda cheesy and very science-fictiony sound would work.

Oh, and there's the iconic theme song.  Even though it's had several versions (from it's original theme to it's odd Depeche Mode version in the 80's to it's rock guitar version in the 2000's) it stays pretty much the same.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J_3rsEwYVE
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 10:28:40 AM by Big_Furry_Oaf »

Offline Mersenne

• Master Force User
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2011, 05:37:56 PM »
what about a Dyson Vacuum Cleaner Font?
I was just repairing a friends Dyson and testing it out - has a great ON and OFF (Off sounds like a hmmmm whinge/complain winding down)
Clash could be - the childrens LEGo being vacuumed up or other things

I'll mention it to SWMBO that I thought I'd make her custom fonts for her saber!
If you don't hear from me again, well ..........
it's all Elemental

Offline Green Ranger

• Formerly known as Darth Payne
  • Master Force User
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2011, 06:16:36 PM »
Savage Oppress

I love his deep monsterous hum and ignition ( that's what she said)

But seriously, its what I would want for my saber ;)

*EDIT W/ VIDEOS FOR REFERENCE

Opress vs Dooku

vs Dooku/ Ventress/ Anakin/ Obi 
&feature=related

« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 03:57:22 PM by Darth Payne »

Offline l33tLX

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2011, 09:49:18 PM »
throwing these ideas out there as i always thought these would be cool fonts

tron legacy font = using a mix of the energy sword sounds with the identity disk sound effects, i think they might be the same anyway

jay and silent bob font = c knockers(mark hamill) vibrating saber and bluntman and chronics *cough* water pipe sabers
  i think these could be very amusing

Offline Drazhar

• Master Force User
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2011, 10:18:09 PM »
Not really a proper sword/saber idea in the least

but another video game idea

Mega Man saber! There are far too many awesome sounds in the original and X series that go unappreciated.

will edit with ideas   ...... ........... ........... ............ [EDIT BY NOVA:  Good stuff!  Yah, I'm trying to think if I should do "many" video game style fonts, or just one...]
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 07:00:01 PM by Novastar »

Offline Green Ranger

• Formerly known as Darth Payne
  • Master Force User
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2011, 09:58:28 PM »
Have you made the sound font from the black bladed mando saber from clone wars? Wicked sound font that would be indeed 8)

Offline Sandpeople are people too

• Once made Darth Vader Chuckle
  • Master Force User
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2011, 10:10:00 PM »
What I've envisioned for a while were samples from AOTC Anakin saber, clash sequences from the dooku duel, but a lockup of him cutting through the sandpeople tent wall, and blasterblocks of sandpeople hoots and howls and/or their rifles from the pod race sequence from TPM. 

Offline PhoenixJedi

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Phoenix Sabers
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2011, 10:24:27 PM »
Sword of Omens!

I'm the only saber smith ever mentioned in the NY Times: http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=35163
My Sabers: Avenger & Defender (TCSS Pair), Ravager (SF Vanquish)
Check out my profile for my website, sound font samples and pictures of sabers i've built!
Note: All sales from me, once shipped, are final.

retrousse