fiduciary

Author Topic: INTEREST - Second Generation Tri-lux unit  (Read 5860 times)

Offline Acerocket

• Formerly known as Wat Tambor
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
INTEREST - Second Generation Tri-lux unit
« on: October 14, 2008, 10:14:19 AM »
Some of you may remember the Tri-Lux design I prototyped a while back  (here are some pics of the original prototypes - http://orbitalmachining.com/html/tri-lux.html).  Sadly, that idea never took off as it looked like Luxeon would be coming out with the smaller Rebel Endor.  But they never seemed to come out with decent optics for it.

Well I recently dusted the plans off and reworked them for an entirely different project (non-lightsaber related - GASP!!).  I changed the design to eliminate some of the parts, made the heatsink longer and add more surface area to it for better cooling potential, added a lip for retention in the product, and tried to make it easier to machine.  This is what I came up with:

It can fit inside a TCSS MHS setup (1.25" id parts only) and I believe some of the Ultrasabers wares.  If you sand off the lip, it will slide into any 1.25" id saber hilt.  Before anyone asks - NO, it can't be cut down to 1" od to fit inside a 1" id hilt.  The optics will not allow it.

Dimension wise, it is very close to the original design - 1.24" od x 2" long.  But there is about 50% more surface area on the heatsink now.

These will be made on an entirely custom basis, no runs or mass produced quantities (at least not for the time being).  I can do them with Lux I, Lux III, K2, and I believe the Seoul P4 LEDs - sorry, no Rebel option as they are too tiny to work with.  I can do three of the same color, RGB, all white, 2 color and a white, etc.  The possibilities are almost endless.  Sadly though, my wallet is not endless.  As such, I will be requiring the buyer to supply the LED emitters (yes, I use only the emitter - a star will not work as it is too hard to remove them from the base without damaging them) to be used.  I simply cannot afford to buy hundreds of LEDs to have a good selection on hand.  Also, I do not include any sort of driving method for these.  That will be up to you to decide what best to use for your application.

I have not decided on a price yet (but I am looking at the 50-60 dollar range right now - not including the LEDs), I am merely looking into seeing how many people might beinterested at the present time.  If you are interested, PM me and let me know what kind of LED/color option you would be interested in.

Hopefully in the next few weeks, I will get the time to run a prototype of the new design and I will post pics when I get it finished.

Once again, this is only an interest thread - not a sale thread.  If you are interested, PM me and I will add you to the list.

Thanks,
Erik

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
Re: INTEREST - Second Generation Tri-lux unit
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 10:54:07 AM »

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

Offline Darth Xusia

• Master Force User
  • "quit cher whinin' and just build some sabers"
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 04:29:38 AM »
I'd take one.
Thank you Photobucket for the best Sig ever!

Offline Rion Ozryel

• 50% Ri, 50% On
  • Experienced Force User
  • Evil is just a point of view
    • The Galactic Sweatshop
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 11:35:36 PM »
PM sent.  ;D

“We seem to be made to suffer. It's our lot in life.”

Offline Ophelea Parth

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 12:47:09 AM »
PM sent

;D

Offline Reaver

• Experienced Force User
  • All things serve the Beam...
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 12:18:41 AM »
PM Sent
Honor the man who falls by the sword,
But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

Offline Eandori

• No Force
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 08:30:42 AM »
Remember that fins on a heat sink only work when there's air flow around them.  The whole point to the fins is to increase surface area for the air to flow over.  Inside a saber you generally have zero air flow.  So you would do better to make the heatsink a solid chunk of metal that has a large contact surface area to the outer metal hilt.  Because air flows by the OUTSIDE of the saber when you swing it.

Are there optics that are meant to be used with this?  For the Luxeons?
Edwin Tracy (Eandori)

- Official Plecter Labs USA station for repairs and firmware upgrades, Ultrasound soon!
- Occasional completed Lightsabers for sale there!

Offline Ari-Jaq Xulden

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 10:29:34 AM »
this is great. is it possibe to get just the heatsink from you ace. would it fit the original set up?

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Offline Acerocket

• Formerly known as Wat Tambor
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 11:27:39 AM »
Eandori - yes a big slug touching the outer tube would be great, but that is virtually impossible with the MHS tubes TCSS sells.  I  would have no way of making sure the od of my heatsinks was a perfect fit inside the MHS tube unless I had the exact tube the heatsink went into to test fit.  That would be a ton of work as each would have to made individually.  There really is no good way to make it ideal I am afraid.   Now as for the optics, they are off the shelf bought optics that are made specifically for the Lux I and Lux III emitters, Seoul P3 and P4 emitters, and other similar emitters.  I just use them without the appropriate holder.

ari-jaq xulden - sorry, no the heatsink is not available seperately.  It woul dbe made precisely for this application only.

To everyone else interested.  This project is on the back burner right now.  My regular workload is pretty full and I haven't been able to get around to working up a prototype just yet.  Plus, i want to re-evaluate the heatsink to see if I can make it differently.

Offline Silkvein

• Junkyard Sabersmith
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 12:46:44 PM »
If you were to appropriately place a few cosmetic slots in the hilt, it would not only allow for air flow to the heatsink, but it would also turn the entire hilt into a resonance chamber.  I know air slots aren't always a favorite, but as we get into newer technology at higher temperatures, we have to get creative w/ our cooling methods.

Peace,
Silkvein

Offline Eandori

• No Force
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2009, 09:38:04 PM »
If you can add slots to the hilt... yeah that would make the fins useful.  Other then that, they take up more space and don't add anything.
Edwin Tracy (Eandori)

- Official Plecter Labs USA station for repairs and firmware upgrades, Ultrasound soon!
- Occasional completed Lightsabers for sale there!

Offline Goodman

• Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 12:17:24 AM »
If you did put the plan back online, let me know. I'd be in for 1-2.
**I AM RETIRED from saber commission building**

Offline darthxanthus

• Master Force User
  • Imperial Royal Arms
    • Xanthus Laboratories
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 11:39:35 AM »
I would love to see one where the heat sinks were used on a vented section like this one.

Just the first thing I thought of when I saw it.
Find me on Facebook.  Look for Xanthus Laboratories fan page.

or on Imperial Royal Arms website!

Offline The Highwayman

• Formerly known as Caden
  • Master Force User
  • Political Thread Pioneer #1
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 12:05:28 PM »
Dude, where you aware of how old this thread is? ??? ;)It was old when... well never mind.

Please just watch the age on the threads you post in. I hate digging through old threads to find new one. ;) (Mods, If I'm out of line, let me know.)

MTFBWY

-DCv2.0

"It's obvious that the price of this game cannot be determined by our knowledge of fair market value, but by our skills with a lightsaber." - Obi-wan (Jedimoves)

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 12:13:31 PM »
darthxanthus,

Im pretty sure the forum gives an auto warning about posting in old threads, ....I also sewe you have yet to sign off on the rules and regs here:
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=10747.0

Caden,

Your post adds even less to this thread, ....how about you let the Bears bear, ...the bees bee and the Mods mod.

Locking this thread, ....

AceRocket, ...if u need this unlocked, ...PM any Mod please
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 12:15:46 PM by CHEWBACCA »

retrousse