fiduciary

Author Topic: RGB Color Settings Guide  (Read 23625 times)

Offline Ziathon

• No Force
  • Truly wonderful the mind of a child is. - Yoda
RGB Color Settings Guide
« on: March 18, 2016, 01:14:43 AM »
Hello all, I have been putting together images of the various colors that can be made using the RGB settings in the override.txt file.  I wanted to post them here for everyone who may be interested to see what colors they can make and how.  This is by no means comprehensive, but it is an initial look at what one could do with simply setting either the R, G or B at maximum and varying only one other color.  These are all taken using my new Dark Ardent.  I am working on other settings now and will have them up soon.  I hope this is handy for people.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 12:31:51 PM by Ziathon »

Offline highflyer

• Experienced Force User
  • Um...Hello?
Re: RGB Color Settings Guide
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 02:45:44 AM »
that is awesome and a lot of work on your part. thanks!

Offline whippet

• Force User
  • Get 'em Chewie
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 05:07:18 AM »
Does the 0 value always denote the FOC, regardless of any of the three LEDs? e.g say you have x,0,y and 0,x,y

Offline Ziathon

• No Force
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 08:43:54 AM »
I will start this out by saying this is my first lightsaber, ever, so please, anyone correct me if I am wrong here :).

In my case, I got the RGB option.  I have 3 LEDs - 1 Red, 1 Green and 1 Blue.  I can change the intensity of each LED by selecting a value from 0 to 1023 for each in the override.txt file.  I have settings for the 10 colors and their 10 corresponding FOC colors.  For each, I select the R,G,B intensities.  For example, I could have a pure red blade color 1023,0,0 (no green or blue, just red at full intensity).  It's FOC is bright white 1023,1023,1023 (full intensity of all three colors).

If I just received the suncrusher single colors, I would still have 3 LEDs but it would be a little different - 2 Colored LEDs and 1 White. The colored LEDs can be BOTH red, blue or green if you chose those 'simple' colors (simple meaning non-mixed).  That is why for those 'simple' colors, people say they are brighter than the RGB sabers on red, blue and green.  If you chose orange, for example, it would be 1 red, 1 green and 1 white. Purple would be 1 red, 1 blue and 1 white.  In the case of orange and purple, there is no benefit to brightness over the RGB option. 

In the single color sabers, the white LED is turned on for FOC.  Using a similar example above, a pure red blade color setting (drive) would look like this 1023,1023,0.  It's FOC (fdrive) would be 1023,1023,1023.  In this case, 2 red LEDs are at full intensity all the time and then the white LED is turned on full intensity for the FOC.

Again, I am new to all of this, but that is how I believe it works.  There is another thread called 'Lock up effect question' started by pfek on the 9th asking how to turn down the intensity of the FOC on his suncrusher green saber.  Luminara informed them to try making their third value 800 instead of 1023 to tone down the intensity of the white.

Hope that helps and please, if I am wrong, correct me :).  I want this to be a place people can go to really understand the color options available and how to do them without the trial and error and with the correct information.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 08:49:13 AM by Ziathon »

Offline Ziathon

• No Force
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 10:19:26 AM »
I have gotten a few more ready.  Here they are.  It is interesting to see how strong the blue and red are compared to the green.

R full intensity, increment G, B 0 200 and 400

increment R, G full intensity, B 0 200 and 400

R 0 200 and 400, increment G, B full intensity

increment R, G0 200 400, B full intensity
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 12:35:40 PM by Ziathon »

Offline darkblade

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 04:48:12 PM »
This is really very helpful - thank you!

Offline adegon

• Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 11:35:02 PM »
This is amazing! Very helpful in portraying the possibilities, thanks for taking the time to do this. I bet it took some time!

Offline Ziathon

• No Force
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 10:36:54 AM »
Thanks!  I hope it helps people.  It can be a little overwhelming, but it is great to have a sense on what the settings you plug in will do. 

It has taken a little time, but it was absolutely worth it.  I didn't look at any of the pictures as I was taking them (I took test images to make sure all was well).  It was really cool to see the grids come together afterwards :).

Offline Elim Vos

• Master Force User
  • doing what is necessary is not always right
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 12:16:23 PM »
I'm curious,
What set up are you using? Ie; what sound board, what LED, and battery?

To my knowlage, most red LEDs can only be pushed to 700-750mA but there are some that can use 1000mA...
And if you are pushing 1023mA into a red, are you afraid of blowing the LED?

Elim
"In the Light, I have Balance. In the Darkness, I am Free"

Offline Canister

• No Force
  • New Zealand
    • Cannys Gambit
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 12:52:27 PM »
Wow very handy work, will be great for getting that ANH green/blue colour That Im planning.
Thank you

Offline Bender1987

• Padawan Learner
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 08:19:46 AM »
Nice work,Thanks much!
I am not here to find out what i can't do!

Offline MikeyX

• Force User
  • Star Wars collector in the UK.
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 09:46:07 AM »
Wow - bet that was a lot of work as I'm assuming you used a combat class VV saber without RICE. With RICE trying out new settings is a lot easier, but I've never missed the RICE port on my two VV sabers - once you've found a great setup you don't need it - it's only for doing things like this that it becomes really useful, and you've done this the hard way now!

Very useful reference, thanks for sharing.  :grin:

Offline MikeyX

• Force User
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 10:01:43 AM »
I'm curious,
What set up are you using? Ie; what sound board, what LED, and battery?

To my knowlage, most red LEDs can only be pushed to 700-750mA but there are some that can use 1000mA...
And if you are pushing 1023mA into a red, are you afraid of blowing the LED?

Elim

I'm assuming this was done with a VV combat class saber - these use Plecter Labs Crystal Shard cards with single 18650 batteries. With the VV LED setup it is absolutely fine to drive all three LEDs to the max for CS at 1023 in the settings. The default color profiles as supplied by VV drive them to 1023 across the board in various mixes.

Offline Ziathon

• No Force
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 11:06:32 AM »
Wow - bet that was a lot of work as I'm assuming you used a combat class VV saber without RICE. With RICE trying out new settings is a lot easier, but I've never missed the RICE port on my two VV sabers - once you've found a great setup you don't need it - it's only for doing things like this that it becomes really useful, and you've done this the hard way now!

Very useful reference, thanks for sharing.  :grin:

Yes, I was using my combat class Dark Ardent from VV.  Being a complete saber noob (my first one ever), I don't even know what RICE is haha.  Sounds like it would have made my life pretty simple for this.  For those that don't have that though (sounds like all combat class people) hopefully this helps.  And, I agree, once I find the colors I like, I will be set. 

[/quote]

I'm assuming this was done with a VV combat class saber - these use Plecter Labs Crystal Shard cards with single 18650 batteries. With the VV LED setup it is absolutely fine to drive all three LEDs to the max for CS at 1023 in the settings. The default color profiles as supplied by VV drive them to 1023 across the board in various mixes.
[/quote]

Good info.  I was curious too about this.  Looks like VV uses the Cree Xlamp XP-E2 LED.  From Cree's technical data, they have done testing up to 1000mA already on their LEDs (close enough to 1023).

Offline MikeyX

• Force User
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2016, 01:55:11 PM »

Yes, I was using my combat class Dark Ardent from VV.  Being a complete saber noob (my first one ever), I don't even know what RICE is haha.  Sounds like it would have made my life pretty simple for this.  For those that don't have that though (sounds like all combat class people) hopefully this helps.  And, I agree, once I find the colors I like, I will be set. 

The Dark Ardent is a great saber congrats! One of my VV sabers is an Ardent Elite and I love it. RICE can be a real time-saver - particularly with some slightly more difficult to set up sabers. I've never missed it on the VV Combat Class though.

The color settings are important, but have you had a play with any of the other settings? There are plenty of cool customisations to make - for example setting the flicker and pulse effects (as I remember VV set up one of the banks to have a slight pulse by default that you can play with to get just about any pulse effect you like). I tend to tone down the FoC effect and duration a bit from the defaults. And also I prefer my sabers a bit more sensitive than most people default them to. If you're like me you will also spend quite some time honing down to the perfect six sound fonts for that particular saber (just remember to re-format the SD card each time you change any sound files). I'm sure you're all over these settings, but just in case - happy to help with suggestions if you want.

retrousse