fiduciary

Author Topic: Badaxx Reveiw.  (Read 4412 times)

Offline bekstorm

• Padawan Learner
Badaxx Reveiw.
« on: August 06, 2014, 11:17:15 AM »
I made this to post a review of the Badaxx saber I purchased on Aug 1st. But the saber is really just a part of the overall experience. Since I haven't received it yet I will append more information to this once the hilt comes in. I will also say that this will be my very first saber purchase ever.

Part 1:
I started investigating purchasing a saber back in April. I reached out to Rob as I liked the Badaxx design and felt that would be a solid purchase. Sadly I made contact shortly before he sold out of them. During this time I feel that the responses were great and he answered my very noob questions without any hesitation. I made contact again at the end of July to see when they may be back in stock. The response was quick, gave me a good time frame of when more might be expected. Sure enough within a week or so the item was back in stock.

Part 2:
Once more were back in stock I still had some questions. He came across as incredibly patient and straightforward with each one. Since it was my first saber I was unsure how bright a dual color saber was. The response I got was very clear and gave me enough information to proceed with the purchase. My wife picked one color and I got to pick the other so we ended up with a Blue/Green mix. I then had questions about sound fonts. Again his reply was quick and clear. It let me know enough that I can replace the sound fonts with a wide selection that he offers. I placed my order and just sent a quick email as more of a thanks to all the info and even got a reply to that. The reply I got back was a thank you for the order and even a rough time frame for when the saber would go out. Got an answer to a question I hadn't even thought to ask.

Part 3:
The Saber showed up. My wife was able to set it charging until I got home a couple hours later. First thing I noticed about it was the size and the amazing work on the pommel and hand guard. I fired it up (After a bit of a noob moment as I learned you have to depress, hold for a moment then let go) and was greeted by a ignition sound. Without a blade in it I gave it a couple test swings. On the flourish font there is a slight pop after swings, but nothing to terrible. Attached a blade and swung some more. The blue through the blade was bright and clear even in daylight. This is where I found some difficulty. The swings with the blade in seemed a bit harder to trigger. This is nothing to do with design, just me being new to sabers. Powered it down and switched my fonts. The second font gave a crisp green blade color. A few test swings showed that there was no pop on the swings or other sounds. Powered off. The blade has a good solid weight with and without the blade. Because of how smooth the surface is it can almost feel a bit loose in the hand.

Opening the pommel was easy enough to get access to the MicroSD card. Once you look inside it gives you an idea of just how much care is taken in building it. The inside was immaculate. The wires were all tucked in nice and clean and the SD card was easy enough to get to. You will need to use a tool of some sort as the card is recessed far enough to make it hard to access with just fingers.

The changing of the soundfonts was easy enough. Now has shatterpoint with the flourish boot sound on font 1 and Flourish full on font 2. (Had to open the pommel a couple times do to noob mistakes on the changes. For example moving the wrong config file and having blue blade on both fonts. Easy enough to fix.) The new font works well with the blade and I took some time customizing the poweron options to give me a slightly more unique feel.

So with the wall of text done here is my conclusion.
Rob was amazing to work with with any questions and concerns.
Shipping went out in about 4 business days.
The item arrived earlier than expected.
The feel of the saber is solid and comfortable if you are used to curved hilt items like some fencing foils. If you are not accustomed to that it could feel awkward for a few moments.
The craftsmanship is amazing both inside and out.
Button placement on the aux switch is a bit of a stretch away from where I am comfortable holding the hilt so it can be hard to get an effect and a swing in quick succession.
Ignition switch takes some getting used to for me as a first timer.
Overall this is an amazing item for the price and I highly recommend it.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 06:36:42 AM by bekstorm »
The Force doesn't want me dead. It doesn't want me happy, but it doesn't want me dead.

Offline adi9678

• No Force
Re: Badaxx Reveiw.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 11:25:04 AM »
I concur wholeheartedly.

I am currently in contact with Rob about a Badaxx purchase, and he has been nothing but patient and polite in all his correspondences.

An absolute pleasure to deal with and a fantastic sabersmith :)

Sorry if this is a bit of a detour from the thread topic but had to put in my opinion.

MTFBWYA

Offline Greebles

• Formerly known as Codeweasel
  • Master Force User
  • “You must unlearn what you have learned.”
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 11:36:03 AM »
Congrats on your new saber.

You choose wisely. IMO Rob's sabers are the best in the business.

-Denzil

Offline Yukiel

• Master Force User
  • LAKES FLOATING IN SPACE!
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 11:55:15 AM »
I was in talks with Rob for a CF7 weathered Badaxx, but things came up and I can't go through with it. I'm sad that it can't happen, but I'm happy that you got one coming! They're amazing sabers.

I'll have one in my hands sometime soon hopefully. I look forward to seeing pics of yours!

Am I alive or dead?
rip sabers

Offline bekstorm

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 01:11:41 PM »
There will pictures. of that I can promise. It gives me a good reason to use my L-Series lenses.
The Force doesn't want me dead. It doesn't want me happy, but it doesn't want me dead.

Offline bekstorm

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 06:37:05 AM »
Just added the conclusion. I should have pictures by this weekend.

Offline madcow

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
    • Genesis Custom Sabers
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 10:23:16 AM »
Thanks for the review!

Offline Cad-Bayne

• Formerly known as Bayne-Fett
  • Master Force User
  • "Dead or Alive, you’re worth Credits to me"
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 11:24:13 AM »
Congrats on your new saber.

You choose wisely. IMO Rob's sabers are the best in the business.

-Denzil

I will agree he has a solid well thought out system of assembly that makes his builds tough to beat. Love his sabers... Then again who truly doesn't.

Offline bekstorm

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 01:48:01 PM »
There is a reason I am looking into getting a Corran Horn for my second saber.

Offline Darthvix

• Master Force User
    • Darthvix Custom Sabers
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 01:52:42 PM »
Awesome review!
Best,
Terry

Offline bekstorm

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 03:33:32 PM »
So I made a simple mod to the Flourish sound font and added the Korriban swings.That eliminated the popping sound after swings. I may dig further into what the sound may have been caused by, but right now, the sound mixture is fun.

Offline bekstorm

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 09:45:06 AM »
So not really on topic but I should have a review of a modified Corran Horn in the next week or so. It will also include some pictures.

Offline Cad-Bayne

• Formerly known as Bayne-Fett
  • Master Force User
  • "Dead or Alive, you’re worth Credits to me"
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 11:58:18 AM »
So I made a simple mod to the Flourish sound font and added the Korriban swings.That eliminated the popping sound after swings. I may dig further into what the sound may have been caused by, but right now, the sound mixture is fun.

I agree, once you have almost all the fonts that are out there (cough, cough) then your ear kind find really great sound combinations to make your saber more unique.

Offline bekstorm

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 05:16:29 PM »
I ended up purchasing a corran horn...but due to items outside my control will have to resell it. Not even a week have I had it. Kinda sad.

retrousse