fiduciary

Author Topic: Customizable Illuminated Crystal Chambers Order Thread  (Read 23659 times)

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
  • Owl Thread Survivor #19
    • The Star Wars Custom Miniature Database
Re: Customizable Illuminated Crystal Chambers Order Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 09:04:32 PM »
Now available!  Graflex Chambers!  More info to be posted!

If you're interested, let me know now, on this thread.  My inbox is full, so no PMs right now.  I don't have anything on the workbench right now, so your turnaround time will be short indeed!

Offline ryvandal

• Force User
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 04:25:30 AM »

If you're interested, let me know now, on this thread.  My inbox is full, so no PMs right now.  I don't have anything on the workbench right now, so your turnaround time will be short indeed!

how long are these?

also where is the power switch to turn them on...

and how hard is it to take an led out and replace with another color (I am pretty certain I am going to buy one of these to install into a hilt...)

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 08:05:36 AM »

how long are these?

and how hard is it to take an led out and replace with another color (I am pretty certain I am going to buy one of these to install into a hilt...)

Which, the Graflex chamber, or the normal version? 

The normal version is approximately 5.5" in length (every one varies slightly), and the crystal LED power switch is activated by depressing the bottom of the LED chassis, with a small piece of brass pipe which can be mounted inside a hilt.  The LEDs can be removed and swapped, but another option is to get a 7-color LED which is permanently affixed inside the chamber, but which cycles through all seven colors.

The Graflex chamber is 7.5" long, and has some extra goodies which I'll post in a bit; it's not just a crystal and LED setup, but also includes a central section which I think makes it look fantastic.  I'll be posting pictures as soon as I finish this one.

Offline ryvandal

• Force User
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 03:23:26 AM »
Now available!  Graflex Chambers!  More info to be posted!

If you're interested, let me know now, on this thread.  My inbox is full, so no PMs right now.  I don't have anything on the workbench right now, so your turnaround time will be short indeed!

how long are these?

Which, the Graflex chamber, or the normal version?  

The normal version is approximately 5.5" in length (every one varies slightly), and the crystal LED power switch is activated by depressing the bottom of the LED chassis, with a small piece of brass pipe which can be mounted inside a hilt.  The LEDs can be removed and swapped, but another option is to get a 7-color LED which is permanently affixed inside the chamber, but which cycles through all seven colors.

The Graflex chamber is 7.5" long, and has some extra goodies which I'll post in a bit; it's not just a crystal and LED setup, but also includes a central section which I think makes it look fantastic.  I'll be posting pictures as soon as I finish this one.

by cycles through colors do you mean i can have it set to red or green whenever i want?

(I will prob pm you soon as I am just saving money up to get this)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 05:08:16 AM by ryvandal »

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 08:01:07 AM »
Pretty much.  It cycles through; so you'd have red or green or blue, or whatever, but you'd need to cycle through all the colors first - I'm not sure what order they're in.

And PMing is probably not a good plan; I have very little room in my inbox.  Just post whatever questions you have here.

Offline ryvandal

• Force User
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 04:43:32 PM »
Pretty much.  It cycles through; so you'd have red or green or blue, or whatever, but you'd need to cycle through all the colors first - I'm not sure what order they're in.

And PMing is probably not a good plan; I have very little room in my inbox.  Just post whatever questions you have here.

K that works

So i have a built saber from parts at TCSS.... What size would I get of your chamber for it to fit... and how tight of a fit would it be?

obviously i would have to figure out a way of getting it to STAY in the saber.... but I am definitely wanting to install this into my hilt... and was wondering the appropriate size of chamber for doing so (it would DEF be the multi led colored one)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 03:07:42 AM by ryvandal »

Offline ryvandal

• Force User
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 03:13:05 AM »
and one last thing...

is it possible to get the chamber shorter??? Like around 4 inches? (If you can get it to 3 that would convince me to buy it)

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2010, 08:22:04 AM »
and one last thing...

is it possible to get the chamber shorter??? Like around 4 inches? (If you can get it to 3 that would convince me to buy it)

4? Yes; that's doable, though there'd be less space around the crystal.

3?  Well, I haven't tried it; and it'd probably require a smaller crystal; the LED housing is nearly 2" long by itself.

Offline ryvandal

• Force User
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2010, 09:39:52 AM »
and one last thing...

4? Yes; that's doable, though there'd be less space around the crystal.

3?  Well, I haven't tried it; and it'd probably require a smaller crystal; the LED housing is nearly 2" long by itself.

if you can do total length 3.75 inches (top to bottom) i will probably buy a multi led one very very soon...

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2010, 10:13:58 AM »
3.75" is doable, but you'll have a slightly shorter crystal.

Whoo Hoo!! 1000th post!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 07:24:22 PM by Jm419 »

Offline ryvandal

• Force User
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2010, 10:21:20 AM »

how much is slightly???

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2010, 07:04:47 PM »

how much is slightly???

That depends on how much stuff goes into the chamber.  Without accent washers, the crystal can be as long as 1.25."  Without cap washers (on the ends,) it can be more like 1.5."

Offline ryvandal

• Force User
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2010, 12:38:50 AM »

how much is slightly???

That depends on how much stuff goes into the chamber.  Without accent washers, the crystal can be as long as 1.25."  Without cap washers (on the ends,) it can be more like 1.5."

Ah ok... Well I assume I need the cap washers mainly to have the chamber stay IN the hilt....? I literally have less then 4 inches too work with and I would like the crystal to be as large as possible since the main focus IS the crystal in the hilt...
So with that being said what would you recommend?

p.s with your knowledge of what needs to light the leds up... is it possible to solder the crystal chamber up to my us 2.1 soundboard/AV switch so when I turn my blade on the chamber itself will turn on?

this is one thing that is kinda making me "Iffy" since I would hate to have to unscrew the hilt just to turn the chamber on kinda thing....
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 01:01:11 AM by ryvandal »

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2010, 05:27:35 PM »

how much is slightly???

That depends on how much stuff goes into the chamber.  Without accent washers, the crystal can be as long as 1.25."  Without cap washers (on the ends,) it can be more like 1.5."

Ah ok... Well I assume I need the cap washers mainly to have the chamber stay IN the hilt....? I literally have less then 4 inches too work with and I would like the crystal to be as large as possible since the main focus IS the crystal in the hilt...

p.s with your knowledge of what needs to light the leds up... is it possible to solder the crystal chamber up to my us 2.1 soundboard/AV switch so when I turn my blade on the chamber itself will turn on?

this is one thing that is kinda making me "Iffy" since I would hate to have to unscrew the hilt just to turn the chamber on kinda thing....

The cap washers are to provide some stability to the design; that way it doesn't twist.  If it's going to be placed into the saber permanently, then cap washers aren't necessary.  If it's going to be removed, well, then we're going to have some need of the cap washers.

And, no, you can't solder it to the soundboard; the LEDs are self-contained units.

The length of the chamber is dictated by the size of the crystal, but if you need it to be under four inches, the crystal cannot be more than 1.8" long, under any circumstances.  That type of chamber has the crystal literally resting on the LED, and no accent washers or cap washers.  All that remain are the structural washers, the LED housing, and the crystal, as well as primary and secondary posts, and the wire wrapping.

Offline ryvandal

• Force User
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2010, 05:33:07 PM »

how much is slightly???

The cap washers are to provide some stability to the design; that way it doesn't twist.  If it's going to be placed into the saber permanently, then cap washers aren't necessary.  If it's going to be removed, well, then we're going to have some need of the cap washers.

And, no, you can't solder it to the soundboard; the LEDs are self-contained units.

The length of the chamber is dictated by the size of the crystal, but if you need it to be under four inches, the crystal cannot be more than 1.8" long, under any circumstances.  That type of chamber has the crystal literally resting on the LED, and no accent washers or cap washers.  All that remain are the structural washers, the LED housing, and the crystal, as well as primary and secondary posts, and the wire wrapping.

ah ok....

so how does this turn on.... would i need access to the chamber at all times???

retrousse