fiduciary

Author Topic: JSSDC Graflex Challenge - Obi-Dar  (Read 2827 times)

Offline Obi_Dar

• Padawan Learner
JSSDC Graflex Challenge - Obi-Dar
« on: February 06, 2009, 07:38:17 PM »
OK, better late than never.  BTW, this is my first post here.  Heck of a way to introduce myself. ;D

May I present to you,

"Starkiller"

Here's what went into it:

-aluminum tubing from Online Metals
-copper tubing from my personal supply
-copper leaf accents on grip
-TCSS 1.25" blade holder
-TCSS red button, glass eye, and brass pins
-premium speaker from TCSS, mounted mid-hilt, facing forwards
-custom pommel and switch guard from Arm on Fire
-red Lux III
-Crystal Focus 4.1
-quartz crystal, lit by 5mm red LED, held by two 5mm LED bezels
-two Trustfire batteries

Here are two pictures from early in the build, just to give and idea of the structure.

In the second picture above, you can see the first version of my crystal chamber.  I didn't like where the forward washer sat.  Here's the re-worked version.  I had to do some heavy modifying to the heat sink, in order to make it a part of the crystal chamber, but I love the way it turned out.

Here's the CF, nestled happily in its new home.

Here's the finished saber.

Close-up of the crystal chamber.  The speaker is facing forward in the middle of a 2" resonance chamber between the battery pack and the LED that lights the crystal.  Here you can see the sound holes I made to let the sound out, just behind the rear washer.  It works pretty good like this.  The sound comes out the pommel end too, and I get really good resonance.

A closer look at the emitter end.  Bunny ears made by me.  Awesome switch guard made by Arm on Fire.  The blade retention screw is the black set screw in the bunny ears, behind the button head screw.

This is the pommel made by AoF.  When I got it, it was so shiny and pretty, I could hardly bring myself to weather it as much as the rest of the saber.  All I could make myself do was scuff it a little to knock the shine off.  There's a low battery LED mounted in one of the holes.

Here it is lit.

I hope you like it.  It was a challenge to build, but I had fun doing it. 

retrousse