fiduciary

Author Topic: FoC question.  (Read 736 times)

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
FoC question.
« on: November 15, 2011, 08:28:28 PM »
Do you have to configure how much current you want for a FoC die on a Crystal Focus or does the board feed that die a fixed amount of current? Now I'm going to assume it is configurable and that it is the "focd" configuration but I'm not to sure. That's why I'm asking so please correct me of I'm wrong. Thank you very much.

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world!

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

Offline pointoforigin

• No Force
Re: FoC question.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 08:40:43 PM »
Crystal Focus only regulates the current on the main LED die, not the FoC die. That's run from the Pex and requires resistors to get the right voltage etc for the FoC die. The way it works is that the CF sends a signal to the Pex, which opens up the main voltage from the battery pack. It's not regulated, and therefore requires resistors.

The CF manual says all of this.

Offline Machinimax

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Sentinel
Re: FoC question.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 08:48:08 PM »
Crystal Focus only regulates the current on the main LED die, not the FoC die. That's run from the Pex and requires resistors to get the right voltage etc for the FoC die. The way it works is that the CF sends a signal to the Pex, which opens up the main voltage from the battery pack. It's not regulated, and therefore requires resistors.

The CF manual says all of this.

Ohhhhh right, the resistor takes care of regulating the current for the FoC die. DUH! The dozens of times I've looked at that manual and I still thought there was a configuration setting for that FoC die. I can't believe I asked this question now. Silly me!  ;D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 08:51:52 PM by Machinimax »

Welcome to saber building. You've taken your first step into a larger world!

"Don't get the idea that your [lightsaber] is a quick little project to be slapped together." - Luke Skywalker

retrousse