fiduciary

Author Topic: Introducing Spark(tm)  (Read 10022 times)

Offline Gil Gamesh

• Formerly known as Kit Fisto
  • Master Force User
Re: Introducing Spark(tm)
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 08:12:19 AM »
cool.  Spark!

8)
Support our Font Makers!

Offline Sandpeople are people too

• Once made Darth Vader Chuckle
  • Master Force User
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 09:19:31 AM »
Blade Swap is a total game-changer for me- even with canon/character hilts, I've wanted to have an extra font, and now it's extra font AND a different blade color.  Light-Dark Ani/Obi/Luke hilts!  That and 16 bit sound- Way to think outside of the box, Naigon! ;D

-Does this come with the SD card and any stock fonts?

Offline Corran Horn

• Formerly known as Keil Edge
  • Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • CSJ Props an NEC Certified Installer
    • CSJ Props
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 09:28:55 AM »
Does this come with the SD card and any stock fonts?

From what I've read, all of Naigon's boards come with the SD card and are preloaded with the default font package.  Though even if they aren't preloaded, the default 6 Igniter fonts are available as a free download from his site.

"It's only stupid if we die doing it, otherwise it's heroism." -Corran Horn-

Offline naigon

• Board Moderator
  • Experienced Force User
  • Naigon's Electronic Creations
    • SaberIgniter.com
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 09:52:31 AM »
Does this come with the SD card and any stock fonts?

From what I've read, all of Naigon's boards come with the SD card and are preloaded with the default font package.  Though even if they aren't preloaded, the default 6 Igniter fonts are available as a free download from his site.

Spark will come with Father's Son(tm), 501 Commander, and a couple misc Saber Tracks(tm) files (some stuff I've written/recorded). You can easily download the fonts from the Igniter(tm) default files or my extra fonts from my site and swap them out. And of course you can go to SaberFonts and download any Igniter(tm) font which will directly work with Spark(tm). Actually my site and SaberFont should probably be updated to list Igniter(tm)/Spark(tm) fonts as one and the same since they are completely interchangeable.
Naigon
Igniter developer/creater - my site is in my profile!
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=29490.0

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 09:56:56 AM »
I have one question about this.  If the daughter board has so few components on it, why not just extend the main board pcb by <.25" and put everything on there?  I'm just wondering if there's something i missed that factored into that decision. 

Offline IndustrialAction

• Master Force User
  • IAC - Elegant designs with a more civilized edge
    • IndustrialAction Customs
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 10:12:12 AM »
I have one question about this.  If the daughter board has so few components on it, why not just extend the main board pcb by <.25" and put everything on there?  I'm just wondering if there's something i missed that factored into that decision. 

??? Your only question is to ask why Naigon designed his board the way he did? LOL

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 10:19:39 AM »
It's a pretty legitimate question.  For a trucolor it made sense because #1 it was so big and #2 it wasn't required.  I just wondered if there was a technical reason that the required daughter board couldn't have been integrated.  As am engineering student, i analyze absolutely everything, so i asked a question based on what i saw. 

Offline IndustrialAction

• Master Force User
  • IAC - Elegant designs with a more civilized edge
    • IndustrialAction Customs
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2013, 10:22:33 AM »
So you're an authority on board design? Funny, I don't recall other questions on the design of other boards.

I can't answer the question for Naigon obviously so I'll leave it at that.

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2013, 10:26:24 AM »
Can you just let the question be answered or ignored without putting on such a show?  You don't have to be an authority on pcb layouts to see what i see.   ::)

Offline naigon

• Board Moderator
  • Experienced Force User
  • Naigon's Electronic Creations
    • SaberIgniter.com
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2013, 11:31:59 AM »
Can you just let the question be answered or ignored without putting on such a show?  You don't have to be an authority on pcb layouts to see what i see.   ::)

It would be more than .25" to add those onto the main board. My original version I tested with had that and the length was like 2". Remember those are high draw components and put out a little heat so need some space, you cannot just wad them next to each other and call it good.

Componentizing is a good thing in my opinion as it gives you more options. Now you can move the driver board on top of the main board for a still quite slim installation and the length is 1.75", or you can leave them together as it comes for simplicity. Or, you can round out the edges of the driver board and put it vertical in the hilt. With everything integrated you have less options.
Naigon
Igniter developer/creater - my site is in my profile!
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=29490.0

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2013, 11:38:15 AM »
Thanks for the reply naigon.  That's what i was curious about. 

Offline Master Valon

• Master Force User
  • "Love can ignite the stars."- Matthew Stover
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2013, 11:40:39 AM »
Well I think for the clash sensor it makes sense to have it separate, so the user can choose where to install it, as position of the sensor greatly affects how it works in-hilt. I can only assume that the modularity of the daughter board is for a similar purpose; to make the installation that more, well, modular for the installer. I can see this being a benefit on say, a Parks hilt, where you might not have all your space available in one segment, and where it'd help to save even .25" in your main area of installation.

P.S. AG, I don't think IA is "putting on a show"; rather, he is reacting to your, lets say, um, direct, method of inquiry. Maybe next time, open with a general comment, then follow it with the question. That way the question might actually get processed and answered, and not seen as something kind of abrupt and/or inferring something negative. And the only reason I'm saying any of this is because I've noticed that this tends to happen frequently. Oh, and I think its safe to say at this point that most of us know you are studying engineering. When you keep bringing it up, and start rolling your eyes, and saying how "you don't need to be an authority on PCB layouts to see what I see", it sounds a bit pretentious. Sorry, but just looking out for you.
Though this is the end of the age of heroes, it has saved its best for last.

Offline Gil Gamesh

• Formerly known as Kit Fisto
  • Master Force User
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2013, 11:46:44 AM »
Ok, chill out.  Alex asked, from my perspective, a valid question.  Looking at the addon board and merely seeing 3 small thingamajobbers (that's non engineering speak!) and some solder pads, I admit I was curious why it wasn't incorporated into the board itself.  Alex is more vocal, some are more thoughtful.  

Naigon explained it perfectly well.  Good and done.

Move along
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 12:27:37 PM by KIT FISTO »
Support our Font Makers!

Offline Master Valon

• Master Force User
  • "Love can ignite the stars."- Matthew Stover
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2013, 11:48:41 AM »
Apologies, KIT, if I was out of line.

And nice work Naigon, on an impressive board!
Though this is the end of the age of heroes, it has saved its best for last.

Offline nartules

• Master Force User
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2013, 01:30:00 PM »
I was curious about the board being seperate as well.  Makes sense, and I have heard from a lot of people how that extra .25 or .50 length can cause all kinds of havoc with the internal portions of a design.

I could see laying the part down vertically as a benefit as well.  I take it there would still be room to run wires past it when it is set like this in most hilts.

Time will bring the real end of our trial.  One day they'll be no remnants

retrousse