fiduciary

Author Topic: A New Hope Lightsaber effects fixed in some areas  (Read 2774 times)

Offline vader445

• Force User
A New Hope Lightsaber effects fixed in some areas
« on: August 23, 2007, 09:23:37 AM »
I took some still frames and fixed the blade effects to make them look better.
Here we have Luke with his new lightsaber. The light saber effects where only done
on the tip of the blade. Here is my version.
http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q51/vader45/?action=view&current=goof02.jpg

This is where he is training on the Falcon. I fixed the choppyness and the no color thing.
Here is my version.
http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q51/vader45/?action=view&current=goof04.jpg

If you think about it the guy who did the lightsabers for dvd version must have been mentally retarted.
Those frames just took me a few minuts.

Here is another dvd mistake I fixed.
http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q51/vader45/?action=view&current=goof16.jpg
Lightsaber collection:
2005 V1 MR Darth Vader Force FX with tri Cree LED
LDM MKVI-V2 #18
2004 ESB Luke Force FX(dead battery pack but saber works)

Offline Ketme-Hamje Traya

• Experienced Force User
  • "Our path brought us here for a reason..."
Re: A New Hope Lightsaber effects fixed in some areas
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 05:44:23 AM »
not bad at all, though I have  personal affection to the light cyan color that Luke's and Obi Wan's sabers had.
"...there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."
-Darth Traya

Offline PLO KOON

• formerly known as s3an_looi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Find me on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 12:08:57 PM »
Not bad... but seeing old Obi Wan holding a purple lightsaber does give me a cheap thrill LOL! I didn't like the original yellow of Vader's saber though. And yeah, I agree with Traya with liking the lighter blue on Luke's saber.

Rotoscoping still images is different from rotoscoping a video. Doing videos is a bummer because you will have to repeat the same procedure 30 times in each second. Which makes it awfully mundane.

And I don't understand how the purple lightsaber would have made its way... perhaps it was intentional.

Offline Vosk

• formerly known as BigT1981
  • Master Force User
  • I do not forgive, or forget...master.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 12:43:24 PM »
Obi-Wan with a Purple Lightsaber and Vader with an Orange (or yellow?) blade?  I don't recall that one in the DVD set...  :o

Offline killphil

• Master Force User
  • ...you know, as in Kill Bill?
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 01:02:34 PM »
The colors flickered quite a bit in that scene, so it seems possible that a still frame could yield a variety of different colors.

Didn't Vaders saber show up pink at times as well?

Offline Darth Zyon

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 07:08:04 PM »
i think when the special effects guys made up the "Digitally Remastered" version of all the first episodes they got lazy and sloppy. But then again they could have just "Said" that they remastered the movies when they actually didn't. It makes sense. Since everything ells is on DVD instead of Casset nowadays. Anyways, nice job on the rotoscoping if thats what you did. FX Studio is an amazing program and simple to use.
Darth Zyons Lightsaber Form - Form IV: Ataru
==================
FX Collection. (as of Now)
==================
- Battle Damaged Darth Maul - TFM
- Obi Wan Kenobi - ROTS

Offline Vosk

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 07:12:14 PM »
The colors flickered quite a bit in that scene, so it seems possible that a still frame could yield a variety of different colors.

As a matter of fact yes Vader's did show up as pink a few times in Empire and ROTJ.

Offline killphil

• Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 07:37:02 PM »

As a matter of fact yes Vader's did show up as pink a few times in Empire and ROTJ.

Well, I was refering to ANH, as that's the scene that stuck out in my mind with Vader having an odd saber color, but it was also pink at times in the other 2 as well? I'll have to rewatch them and take note.

But those newly animated sabers did look real bad at times in those DVDs. The scene in ROTJ where Luke finally ignites his saber to attack the Emporer and Vader blocks him, you see the sabers crossed in front of Palpatines face. In the original they were white cored with the correct looking rotoscoping, while in the DVD, the sabers were a solid color, and Vader's saber looked more orange than red.

Kind of sloppy IMO. It's a wonder Lucas let these things out in that condition. I thought he was such a stickler for detail and a perfectionist when it came to these movies.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 07:39:51 PM by killphil »

Offline Vosk

• Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 07:41:53 PM »
I think ANH was the only one that actually had the saber red for the most part (except for that scene obviously), but yes in Empire and ROTJ it showed up as pink in quite a few scenes.

Ya I agree.  I'm hoping if they release a Saga DVD box set they properly rotoscop the lightsaber effects for the OT or at least match it to the Prequel versions so it's consistent.

Offline killphil

• Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 07:52:47 PM »
I think ANH was the only one that actually had the saber red for the most part (except for that scene obviously), but yes in Empire and ROTJ it showed up as pink in quite a few scenes.

Ya I agree.  I'm hoping if they release a Saga DVD box set they properly rotoscop the lightsaber effects for the OT or at least match it to the Prequel versions so it's consistent.

That has actually been my dream version of Star Wars. Instead of editing in Mini-me Jabba and the Muppets do Star Wars, I would rather see more emphasis made on getting the look and special effects a little more consistant for the entirety of the saga(not necessarily the feel, though, GL has "Jar Jared" the OT enough the way it is in that regard).

Even within the OT I feel there could be steps made to give it more consistency. I think ANH could use some tweaks in the sound and visual FX department just to get it consitant with the rest of the OT(lightsabers rotoscoped more consistently, Vader's voice with the same resonance it had in ESB and ROTJ for example).

Offline Vosk

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 08:11:06 PM »
I again agree with you.  When Lucas started tinkering with the OT in the 90's things haven't been the same.  Don't get me wrong I really love a lot of the new effects and scenes but at the same time there are just a lot of FX that stick out like a sore thumb that need to be redone/touched up. 

I just wish he'd come out with one final definitive edition of the OT and have the theatrical editions of the OT properly remastered and in widescreen aspect ratio with the definitive edition sets.  To crap with the 4:3 sets...bleh.

Offline PLO KOON

• formerly known as s3an_looi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
    • Find me on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 05:41:39 AM »
I use LSMaker to do my lightsaber effects... maybe I'll check FX Studio out and see how it works.

Offline vader445

• Force User
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 06:16:34 AM »
I did those on a program called Gimp. It makes rotoscoping easy. There is a feture on it just for lightsaber rotoscoping. All i had to do was select the area for blade and then pick color and glow size of the saber and it did the rest.
Lightsaber collection:
2005 V1 MR Darth Vader Force FX with tri Cree LED
LDM MKVI-V2 #18
2004 ESB Luke Force FX(dead battery pack but saber works)

Offline Darth Zyon

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 11:32:08 AM »
FX Studio is the same way. it has its own setting for lightsabers. here is the site if you want to check it out. http://fxhome.com/products/
Darth Zyons Lightsaber Form - Form IV: Ataru
==================
FX Collection. (as of Now)
==================
- Battle Damaged Darth Maul - TFM
- Obi Wan Kenobi - ROTS

Offline Darth Nerdold

• Sith Illustrator
  • Experienced Force User
  • One again, the sigs will rule the forums!
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 07:21:12 PM »
I don't think that they were trying to fix lightsabers for the DVD version. They were just trying to clean up the video quality and the sound.

retrousse