fiduciary

Author Topic: 4 Jedi Starfighters & A Snowspeeder - Pics & Review  (Read 4784 times)

Offline hullbreach

• Master Force User
  • Too dangerous to be kept alive
4 Jedi Starfighters & A Snowspeeder - Pics & Review
« on: July 05, 2009, 01:39:22 PM »
Eta-2 Jedi Starfighter
& T-47 Snowspeeder Review

Having recently come across some youtube reviews of Hasbro's Jedi Starfighter (RotS version, circa 2005) and finding it to be an incredibly cool looking toy, I ventured the bay to pick up a few of its variations as cheaply as I could. It took a little bidding patience, but I managed to nab five vehicles, all MIB, plus a whole boatload of figures, with shipping included, for altogther about 120 bucks. The overall detail and quality of these toys are great -- nice paint apps and durable, well-formed parts -- plus a few cool features like spring-loaded flaps (S-foils) and firing missiles.

The 4 Jedi starfighters I purchased (offically the Eta-2 Actis-class light interceptor, wookipedia link below*) are Darth Vader's black (aka "Sith Starfighter," Extended Universe), Anakin's yellow, Obi-wan's red and Obi-wan's later-version white and blue. There are three other variations of this toy -- a green and white Anakin, a gray and purple Mace and a multicolored Aayla Secura -- but four were enough for me; plus the snowspeeder, a last minute pick-up I had to have. This is the Rogue Two version, similar to the original with some small but impressive improvements, like back windows, a properly scaled rear gun and opening break flaps.

Pilots not included (except for the Snowspeeder), the action figures were mostly bought loose -- average winning bid with shipping was 5-7 bucks a pop (they BIN at 10-15) -- and not going for accuracy I had fun picking out and matching the pilots I thought looked best with each ship. I haven't had a 3 3/4" figure in many years and I was pleasantly surprised with the improvement in the sculpts and posing articulation -- much better than my old GI Joes of the 1980's. These new figures are mostly ball-joined or ball-hinged at the neck, shoulders, elbows, wrists, torso, thighs, knees and ankles.

Overall, I give the Jedi Starfighters a rating of 9.5. They look cool as display pieces and are very durable/playable, with good features. They lose .5 for only including half-bodied astromechs (no feet), which are removable, but the sockets are just slightly too narrow to put full-figure astromechs in -- a sloppy oversight by Hasbro because it would've been an easy adjustment. If determined, you can kind of cram a full-figured astromech in there, but it can be a pain in the neck to get it back out so I don't recommend it unless some modding is performed to either widen the socket or slim the astromech.

The snowspeeder also gets a 9.5 -- losing .25 for an untensioned landing gear that just kind of flops out and offers only moderate support (in my original 80's Kenner snowspeeder -- from the same basic mold -- the landing gear was spring-loaded and stood rigid.) Some have complained that the guns and cockpit hatch on this vehicle are too loosely fitted and come off too easily, but I actually find it a plus, as I'd rather accidentally knock something off and easily fit it back in, than snap it off and have to glue it back on. Vehicle get an additional minus .25 for a bland, non-detailed cockpit. But other than that, it's a great toy.

If you're thinking of buying any of these on ebay -- unless price is no object -- my suggesting is definitely NOT to Buy Now, which is usually set at 30-40 bucks plus shipping for each of the vehicles. They are readily available and with a little patience can be picked up on a bid for 10-20 bucks a pop, or occasionally even less. I got the blue one for 7 bucks.

* Eta-2 description : http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Eta-2_Actis-class_light_interceptor

Clicky Pics :

Regular Configuration

Attack Configuration (w/ S-foils locked)

"Imperial" Biggs Darklighter body & helmet w/ "Ecliptic" Hobbie Klivian head sculpt

Arvel Crynyd

Keyan Farlander body w/ Tycho Celchu head sculpt & helmet

Clone Pilot

Wes Janson & Zev Senesca (Zev came w/ the Snowspeeeder)

Thanks for looking :)

Offline LadyIrithyl

• Force User
Re: 4 Jedi Starfighters & A Snowspeeder - Pics & Review
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 03:39:25 PM »
I have two Jedi star fighters, the all black one and the gray/blue "obi-wan" fighter. Of course I bought the astromech droids to go along with them. They are great display pieces, especially with figures beside them, as you have in your pictures.

Are you using cups for stands? That's a pretty good idea, as its probably a lot cheaper than the special 3 prong stand set up that I have seen.

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 05:26:07 PM »
 ;)

I have a couple of them myself!!Cool stuff. ;)

Offline wookieecrisp

• Master Force User
  • Let the Wookiee Win!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 05:37:45 PM »
That's sweet Hullbreach!  :o ;) ;)

Offline hullbreach

• Master Force User
  • Too dangerous to be kept alive
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 07:05:20 PM »
heh, thanks guys  :)

Are you using cups for stands? That's a pretty good idea, as its probably a lot cheaper than the special 3 prong stand set up that I have seen.

Yeah they're just kitchen glasses I used for the pic. Now that you mention it, the ships have a good center of gravity, I bet clear plastic cups would make for good stands. Gonna have to pick some up and try it out  ;)

Offline Jasher Kain

• Master Force User
  • A Knight of the Old Republic
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 06:06:50 PM »
I always loved the big ships (Y-Wings were my favorite).
Great collection you got there!

Offline DarthCaedus

• Formerly known as initiatedark
  • Experienced Force User
  • those darn walking carpets....
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 06:03:11 PM »
those are so cool! i wish i had those :P

Hang on to your hate. It will help you endure. I couldn't hate, and it nearly destroyed me

Offline Corran Horn

• Formerly known as Keil Edge
  • Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • CSJ Props an NEC Certified Installer
    • CSJ Props
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 06:34:07 PM »
Funny, I always pictured Tycho as being taller.

"It's only stupid if we die doing it, otherwise it's heroism." -Corran Horn-

Offline vulcan fox

• Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 10:56:39 AM »
yeah, they do look great... im off to ebay. :D

retrousse