fiduciary

Author Topic: 9 degree ledil lens  (Read 3259 times)

Offline Spiritchaser

• Force User
9 degree ledil lens
« on: March 12, 2015, 11:52:15 AM »
C11916_SATU-S Ledil 9 Degree 21.8 mm Circular Beam Optic - Integrated Legs

Has anyone tried the above instead of the more normal 18 degree tri led optics? Just curious about qualitative anicdata really...

Or is there some really good reason not to try...

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
Re: 9 degree ledil lens
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 01:42:35 PM »
At 21.8mm in.diameter, it may be just a bit to large to fit most of the led holders and heatsink assemblies we currently use, bit I'm certain here are ways around that.  ;)

Offline Wilbur

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 11:50:13 AM »
I wonder if it would make any difference.  They are also made of acrylic instead of polycarbonate.  Do we know if anyone has tried one?

Offline Spiritchaser

• Force User
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 06:22:56 PM »
I have a few now and once the parts are all in for my next three sabers I'll see which looks better... Don't hold your breath though, could easily be july before I'm done.

Offline Wilbur

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 02:28:49 PM »
Funny enough, I decided to check on this thread today...and it happens to be July.  I hope your work is coming along.  I just have a couple more parts to get together for mine!

Offline Spiritchaser

• Force User
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 03:57:25 AM »
I have three tri leds I've tried these on so far.

I don't have data at this point, just anecdotes:

1. These fit tri-cree less than perfectly. Yes they can be made to fit, ( and it appears that even fitting imperfectly the ends of long blades are more evenly lit, but I can't determine if they are absolutely brighter than the ends of conventional 18 degree optics that fit better.)

2. They seem to color mix differently. On a r-o/lime/lime rebel, the 9 degree seemed better in end to end light evenness, brightness and mixing than the 18. On a rb/rb/red... I can't make up my mind, it can look weird sometimes.

3. I cannot comment on compatibility with most other parts, I make my heat sinks on a lathe, and drill out schedule 80 pipe for blade holders, so I can just make things fit as needed.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 06:37:55 AM by Spiritchaser »

Offline mikestar007

• Force User
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 07:22:27 AM »
Sounds like they could be better! Comparison pictures would be very cool!

Offline Spiritchaser

• Force User
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2015, 07:35:38 AM »
I may have some time Sunday night to take some, failing that it'll be a while... Maybe a week and a half before the next night without the kids.

They would much prefer to bash me with their sabers than fuss with photographing work in process.

I'm just fine with that

I'll have to figure out how to post pics here too.

Offline Wilbur

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 10:27:01 AM »
Hmm what seems to keep it from fitting trip crees well?

After poking my nose around I found this from another seemingly new forum: OMG I am blind

The op there doesn't mention not fitting the star, but it may not fit some blade holders.  Looks nice  8)

Offline Spiritchaser

• Force User
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 12:42:06 PM »
The domes of the cree dies are larger than the rebels... The 9 degree lens doesn't sit nicely on the star, and there is a modest band where the led die shines out laterally without passing throug the lens.

For a royal blue, the improvement (if any) of the 9 degree optic over the 18 degree optic might be more than the delta between a cree and that rebel (the two are close). For a red, or green the cree is so much brighter it doesn't matter. I can't speak for other colors.

Looks great on a color mixed orange from a lime and an orange.

Limes are very very bright though...

Offline ARKM

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 01:22:07 PM »
Cool info.  Thanks for posting.

retrousse