fiduciary

Author Topic: a better bullet tip  (Read 9562 times)

Offline Clark Kent

• Master Force User
Re: a better bullet tip
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 01:00:05 PM »
do you know where we can buy more of these caps?

Offline gucabe

• Force User
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 01:02:40 PM »
This is pretty straight forward...  its a simple mod to the solid bullet tips sold you now where. Having a solid object will refract the light differently  than a hollow object period. You got a hollow tube why not a hollow tip? it makes a lot of sense to me.

You finish up the job using other techniques to reflect some light back and making the blade more even towards the tip and you are golden. There are many options out there... this is just one more.  ;)

Well i had to drill mine and got it from TCSS.
Gustavo Canales

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Offline Clark Kent

• Master Force User
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 01:04:16 PM »
no no no, those rubber black caps that VV uses when they sell you one of their blades.  i dont know what they are called but they go on the bottom of your blade, it prevents dust and stuff going up the tube.

Offline IndustrialAction

• Master Force User
  • IAC - Elegant designs with a more civilized edge
    • IndustrialAction Customs
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 01:17:14 PM »
I think they're just plastic round end caps with a 1"ID. Should be fairly easy to find in a hardware store. Quick google search turned up a bunch of hits

Offline Psab Keel

• Master Force User
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 01:20:34 PM »
Perhaps something found at Home Depot or other local hardware store?  I would think something along the lines of a cap used to put on furniture legs to prevent them from scratching up the floor.  

Wat, I was considering making one of each blade that I used throughout the years as a way to show the evolution of the blade designs.  Perhaps one day I'll have to do that.  

Offline PhoenixJedi

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Phoenix Sabers
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2012, 01:51:16 PM »
Because with a hollow tip, you cant reflect any of the light back down the tube so the tube will not be completely even. Try putting a semi-reflective material in place of the mirror.

This is pretty straight forward...  its a simple mod to the solid bullet tips sold you now where. Having a solid object will refract the light differently  than a hollow object period. You got a hollow tube why not a hollow tip? it makes a lot of sense to me.

You finish up the job using other techniques to reflect some light back and making the blade more even towards the tip and you are golden. There are many options out there... this is just one more.  ;)

I'm the only saber smith ever mentioned in the NY Times: http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=35163
My Sabers: Avenger & Defender (TCSS Pair), Ravager (SF Vanquish)
Check out my profile for my website, sound font samples and pictures of sabers i've built!
Note: All sales from me, once shipped, are final.

Offline gucabe

• Force User
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2012, 02:08:36 PM »
Because with a hollow tip, you cant reflect any of the light back down the tube so the tube will not be completely even. Try putting a semi-reflective material in place of the mirror.

yep thanks i already added two layers of anti static bag material... that made it more even, but did not had a chance to take pictures of it.
Gustavo Canales

"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Offline Gil Gamesh

• Formerly known as Kit Fisto
  • Master Force User
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2012, 03:01:22 PM »
nearly same effect and end result if not identical, yet no need to do any sort of drilling or modification to the tip itself:

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=21282.0

'09  ::)  At that time I tried hollowing one out, but you can see the hole inside the tip which kinda was meh for me.  It also negates alot of the reflectivity within the blade and will provide an overall dimmer full blade.  Plus, it was so much more work than just modifying the reflector and gets you the same results  ;)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 03:05:04 PM by Gil Gamesh »
Support our Font Makers!

Offline sithslayer1

• Master Force User
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2012, 03:24:28 PM »
Clark Kent, just PM Vaders Vault- Mace or Luminara, I'm sure they will share where they get them.

Offline gucabe

• Force User
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2012, 12:24:42 PM »
nearly same effect and end result if not identical, yet no need to do any sort of drilling or modification to the tip itself:

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=21282.0

'09  ::)  At that time I tried hollowing one out, but you can see the hole inside the tip which kinda was meh for me.  It also negates alot of the reflectivity within the blade and will provide an overall dimmer full blade.  Plus, it was so much more work than just modifying the reflector and gets you the same results  ;)

Thanks for the tips, however having done both (hollow and the reduced disc) i still prefer the hollow one. if you don't sand the tip (on the outside) you will see the wall effect... but this is the main reason i did this... i needed the wall effect to match the whole blade... the purpose for me is not to have a fully lit tip... it was more of having a tip that  looks like the continuation of the blade.

The reflectiveness  is given by the antistatic bag material... i have both tips and i can't see it being dimmer... if no reflective material is used then i would agree. Its a bit more work overall... but not that much.
Gustavo Canales

Offline Adi

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2012, 12:47:03 PM »
Nice idea you had ! (sorry about the late post: I just noticed this topic)
Will you do a tutorial explaining how to create such hollowed blade tips ? Yo uhad yours machined up but do you think it is possible to drill it at home ?
You were right about one thing, master. The negotiations were short.

Offline Gil Gamesh

• Formerly known as Kit Fisto
  • Master Force User
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2012, 05:11:04 PM »
easily doable at home, just clamp down that tip and have at it!  Use a press or a dremel or a dewalt, I've gone all routes messing around with tips and poly C in general.  Just beware of the heat and getting melted 'balls' or 'clumps' that can screw up your hole pretty bad
Support our Font Makers!

Offline gucabe

• Force User
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2012, 11:17:16 AM »
easily doable at home, just clamp down that tip and have at it!  Use a press or a dremel or a dewalt, I've gone all routes messing around with tips and poly C in general.  Just beware of the heat and getting melted 'balls' or 'clumps' that can screw up your hole pretty bad

What master Fisto said...  :)
Gustavo Canales

Offline Habbena

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • "I See You Have Constructed a New Lightsaber"
    • Illuminated Saber Design and Concepts
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2012, 09:06:29 PM »
I actually have been working on this issue over the last six months.  I just had a slew of tips fabricated that are hollowed out and just got through customs last week.  I am prototyping the blade right now trying to calibrate the tip (which is actually a thick acrylic) to be evenly lit with the rest of the blade.  I basically have it down, just a couple more points of tinkering.  I had the tips machined to be more of rounded in shape than the typical blade tips.  I should be finished this weekend and hopefully have a demo video up by the end of next week.   I'll see if I can post a pic. . .   

retrousse