fiduciary

Author Topic: Advancing makoto style led blades discussion  (Read 4623 times)

Offline Jedi-Diah

• Force User
Re: Advancing makoto style led blades discussion
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 02:31:06 PM »
I won't do the flash but I will try to remember to use manual mode and use the same setting for all the pics so the camera doesn't re-adjust each time (for single blade shots). Maybe do two or three blades in one pic for comparison also.

You're gonna have to wait a few weeks or so but they'll come.

Take pics in the same way that aluke did in the blade film comparisons cause that way it will give us an idea of what where working with here.

Offline Jedi-Diah

• Force User
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2008, 11:45:28 PM »
Here are some pics of my new Makoto blade (I just got it today). I quickly put it in my Graflex WIP with Anakin electronics inside just to show how it works. The other saber is a 2005 MR Anakin ROTS. Both sabers have new Energizer lithiums.

The Makoto blade is not perfectly even in color/brightness but is still looks pretty good and bright. You can still see some unevenness when viewing in person. It is not blinding bright or anything like that either but it is much brighter than the MR. I'll have to compare it to my blue Lux Rebel once I get that setup.

These next 3 pics are taken with different aperature settings. The first one is underexposed but shows some of the unevenness of both blades. I'd say it actually looks something inbetween the 2nd and 3rd pic but closer to the 2nd. Also, the camera doesn't really capture the actual color very well. The Makoto blade is more of a lighter powdery blue than the Anakin (more than the pics show at least).

This was done with just the standard MR electronics. I'm going to try overdriving it with a USB2.0 at 1500mA.

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2008, 07:57:23 AM »
Thanks so much Diah.

That's pretty much what I've been expecting for months: It's his camera that makes all the difference. 

I'm curious what the string itself looks like.  How many LEDs did he use?  Can you take some picture of it un-lit and naked - or is it a single unit?  Feel free to run the gamut on this all settings, flash, no flash... some setting reveal different things...

Over-driving HBs tends to make them act a little odd.  You can try it, but you probably will get more color and brightness variance.

Thanks for posting this - breath of fresh air... or at least an answer to a loooooong standing question.

:)

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2008, 01:48:58 PM »
I'm trying to contribute to the local air conditionning system too  ;)
here, I posted to results of my experiments
http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com/showthread.php?t=6212&page=2

retrousse