fiduciary

Author Topic: Yoda ROTS Force FX (2007) Review and Pics  (Read 33090 times)

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• Formerly known as Bandit-Jedi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I have a way with...the Force.
    • My other love...2002 Trans Am Collector Edition
Yoda ROTS Force FX (2007) Review and Pics
« on: March 24, 2007, 06:58:29 PM »

THE STORY

Well, not much was kept secret about this new Force FX for 2007 for very long with our very own Yoda on the job.  With a visit to Master Replicas offices last year he got a peak at the newest addition to the Force FX line: The Revenge of the Sith Yoda lightsaber.  Much speculation was made about its size being relative to the other sabers already out on the market, but once actual pics of the saber started to hit the net we could see how small it was compared to the rest.  So, once again being very excited about the purchase of a new FX I got into the first group order on the site.  A big thanks goes out to sycor for that one! 
I just put down my name for one and then had to wait for about 2 months and viola! The saber that everyone thought could never be made is now HERE!

THE SABER OUT OF THE BOX

The packaging for the Yoda is quite well done as all other new FX's, but there are a few tweaks that were made to accomodate the size of the Yoda FX in an already shortened FX box.

Cardboard inserts were made to go on the ends of the box to enclose the saber into the center.  Adding a bit more crush area on the end of the box, which can be a good thing.

The design of the Saber is almost dead on to the prop replica, although the FX still had to be enlarged to fit all necessary electronics.  The rubberized grips feel the exact same as the prop replica as does the center band.  The matte finish lending itself to the High Class Jedi that Yoda was.

The battery compartment is the smallest to date with the battery holder being that of the 5th Generation 3 x AAA holder.  It is squeezed into the body of the Yoda with no possibility of any more room.

The "pepper shaker" endcap for the Yoda saber.  Listing the Copyright information for Lucasfilm Ltd and Master Replicas.  Also, that which was absent from the Obi Wan saber but coming back for an encore on the Yoda is the "Made in China" stamp

The little details are all there.  The small indentations around the pommel are there and pulled of quite well as being incorporated into the design of how the endcap unscrews and separates from the body to not disrupt the completeness of the design.

The "hood" of the saber is very well done and very strong.  It does lend its look to being flimsy enough to where it might snap off with a twirl, but it is thick steel and will not break off very easily, so no worries there.  There are also slight "crescent" indentions made along the curved edges of the hood(you can see ever so slightly in 2nd pic). which are present on the prop replica also, so there was no skipping details on that piece either.

The On/Off switch is in an IMPOSSIBLE to accidentally hit position.  Surrounded by its own hood and recessed into the body.  You have to purposefully either turn it on or off.  There will be no blade shut down on mid spin with this one!

THE SABER IGNITED

In Normal Room Light

In Low Room Light

WORKING REVIEW
Okay, this saber is SMALL!  The length of the Yoda Hilt is exactly 8 inches long.  The Total length of the saber is 33 1/2inches from endcap to blade tip.  Along with it being so small is the fact that it weighs very little compared to other FX's.   The construction is mostly metal with the centerband being plastic along with plastic emitter and knob.  The only thing I can relate how the Yoda FX feels when weilding it is that of a Fly swatter.  Very lightweight with the ability to gain maximum velocity very quickly.  Now I know how Yoda could move like he did with this saber! 
The On/Off switch is very sturdy as it clicks from the Off to the On position and stays there.  The faux green LED giving your thumb something to "grab" as you slide the switch.  The saber is very comfortable in one hand with the black knob "greeblie" positioned inbetween your forefinger and middlefinger with the switch facing toward you.
The ignition sound is VERY LOUD and is the common ignition found on the Jedi Sabers. 
The Blade is the thinnest of any of the FX's.  More like a toothpick than a blade but the LED's are BRIGHTER than any other with a smoother diffuser than ever before.  The color is solid and can be seen in the shade during the day outside.  I didn't think it would be possible for them to make a blade brighter than the Luke ROTJ, but they did and with the smoothness that surpasses even the Obi Wan.  Truly a Jedi Masters blade.
The Sound FX are reused Jedi sounds as stated before.  The idle hum is smooth but a bit raspy due to the smaller speaker, I guess.  The motion controlled function is superbly tuned and goes along with every movement well.  There are only 3 motion sounds, 2 buzzes(one short, one long) 1 arc movement (one movement with direction change), which is the same as the previous Obi Wan saber.
The Clash effects were a bit difficult to activate and you have to hit the blade quite hard to get a response but they are there. There are 4 clash sounds: one hiss, one "blaster-bolt", one sizzle, one pop-sizzle.  The deactivation sound is as loud as ignition and it is perfectly timed with the FX blade retracting.

THE BOX
For those that want a detail look at the box

Left hand back of box

Right hand back of box

The box incorporates not only the 30th Anniversary logo for Star Wars but also prominently displays the Master Replicas V year logo.
I was also surprised that it is marketed as the ROTS model and not the AOTC, but as I see the final design I can tell why.

THE COMPARISON
Master Replicas Yoda Force FX (2007) vs. Master Replicas Limited Edition AOTC Yoda Lightsaber Replica (2002)

As you can see there is a noticeable size difference. As well as few detail differences between each film version.  Most noticeably being the clear faux LED on the AOTC compared to the green faux LED on the ROTS FX.  Here you can also the the crescent indentations on the hood of each saber.  Sometimes it the small details that count.

The sizing does seem to be correctly proportional to each section of the saber.  Nothing seems to be enlarged to fit electronics or blade (luke/obi neck) but the whole saber was "upsized" to not only fit the electronics but to make comfortable for human hands.

The only thing that is wrong with the look of the ROTS Yoda FX is that it is pristine like the AOTC replica.  The ROTS replica was presented as "battle worn" 

FFX COMPARISON

Anakin ROTS (2005) vs. Yoda ROTS (2007)

Luke ROTJ (2005) vs Yoda ROTS (2007)

Vader ANH (2003) vs Yoda ROTS (2007)

Obi-Wan Kenobi ROTS(2006) vs. Yoda ROTS(2007)

FINAL THOUGHTS
I am pleased with the outcome of this saber.  While it won't, or should I say cannot, be a saber that I use much in training it does make a nice display piece for any collection, especially for us Yoda fans.  With the run of this Yoda we all now know that it is possible to make the electronics small enough to fit into most any design.  So what might be on the horizon for future FX Lightsabers?  Well, only Master Replicas knows for sure.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 08:17:01 PM by ANAKIN SKYWALKER »

May The Force FX Be With You!

Offline Codova

• Force User
  • "You are a wretched thing, of weakness and fear."
Re: Yoda ROTS Force FX (2007) Review and Pics
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 07:04:28 PM »
Awesome review and pics like always, Anakin. I can't wait to order one of my own and try it out.

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 07:25:55 PM »
 8)Great review and pics!!Now I want one lol!! ;)

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 07:28:25 PM »
Thanks guys,

It was a bit shorter a review that I wanted to do but my camera went out on me yesterday as I was shooting the box.  I had to pull out my old 2.1 megapixel camera and finish the shots.  I did go and get a new camera that I will be figuring out all day tomorrow.  A Canon EOS Rebel XTi!

Offline Vosk

• formerly known as BigT1981
  • Master Force User
  • I do not forgive, or forget...master.
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 08:40:49 PM »
Awesome review and pictures! :)  Thanks for that.

I honestly can't wait to get a Yoda FX saber later this year.

Offline Aluke123

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 09:42:26 PM »
great review anakin :o 8)
the pics are awesome as well

Lord Maul on TCSS

Offline The Abbot

• Master of the Jar'Kai Style
  • Master Force User
  • Lajedi.com ,Force-Fx.com Founder
    • http://www.Force-Fx.com
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 02:58:25 AM »
Great review *as always*
LaserBlade:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/laserblade/id608879483?mt=8

The poster formerly known as Kit Fisto. Creator of the Force-FX sig style. Master of the 2 saber staff style way before Pong Krell

Offline robiwan

• Banned
  • Master Force User
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 04:11:48 AM »
Excellent review! While not my favorite saber it will have to be added to my collection in the future. The more I see it, the more I like it. Good job.
Disrespectful and Condescending to Staff.

Offline Jedi Knight Logan

• MASTER OF THE HURRICANE FLURRY
  • Master Force User
  • "Have lightsaber, will travel....."
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 09:15:41 AM »
Great review Anakin! :) I think this will be my next saber. Do you by chance know the length of the saber?

"A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack..."

Offline Ulic Qel-Droma

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 11:30:17 AM »
I really enjoy your reviews, Anakin. One of the main factors in my decision to get the Luke ROTJ was your review. I look forward to your Vader and Luke reviews.

Offline jack3auer

• Do or Do Not there is No Try
  • Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 11:52:45 AM »
nice review as always anakin.

i want one of those now,  it looks sweet.  the slightly larger FX of course stands out against the LE, but it looks like MR did a stellar job with re-creating the look of the yoda FX.  wonder why they went with the AOTC rather than ROTS, sorry i have been out of the loop lately.

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 02:59:23 PM »
Great review Anakin! :) I think this will be my next saber. Do you by chance know the length of the saber?

Thanks!

The length of the Yoda Hilt is exactly 8 inches long.  The Total length of the saber is 33 1/2inches from endcap to blade tip.

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 03:03:08 PM »
nice review as always anakin.

i want one of those now,  it looks sweet.  the slightly larger FX of course stands out against the LE, but it looks like MR did a stellar job with re-creating the look of the yoda FX.  wonder why they went with the AOTC rather than ROTS, sorry i have been out of the loop lately.

MR did do a great job of replicating the original replica, haha.   I'm not sure what happened with the decision on which version they were doing.  Something must have happened in production.
The initial prototype was that of the AOTC version and the production model that everyone is getting is listed as the ROTS version.  In actuality it is both versions mixed.   It is pristine like the AOTC version, but has the faux green LED's and a Black knob, whereas the AOTC had clear faux LED's and a silver knob.  You can see those differences in the comparison pics.
All I know is that it is a cool saber, but if doing the ROTS it should have been battle damaged a bit.

Offline dark_jedi_vokk

• Force User
  • I am glad to finally have peace...at last.
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 04:55:37 PM »
received mine today
"It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible to admit it"

"To be united by hatred is a... fragile alliance at best"

Offline Jedi Knight Logan

• MASTER OF THE HURRICANE FLURRY
  • Master Force User
  • "Have lightsaber, will travel....."
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 08:20:31 AM »
Thanks again Master Skywalker! :) This will help me determine how to mount the rack I got from RS.

"A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack..."

retrousse