fiduciary

Author Topic: Help Needed Saber Assembly / Board Programming  (Read 1594 times)

Offline Survivor97

• No Force
Help Needed Saber Assembly / Board Programming
« on: January 30, 2020, 01:06:34 PM »
Hello,

Wondering if someone would be able to assemble a saber for me. I have all the parts, ( purchased from CSS ), though it is proving quite difficult to put everything together the way I want it. Long story short, had a guy "build", it for me, his work was totally unsatisfactory, now I am trying to retrace his steps in an attempt to get everything together properly, and it does not seem to be coming together well. Mostly due to not having the right tools, and little experience with such small and sensitive electronics, plus all the computer programming for the board. I do have many years in 12v electronics, but this is a whole different world for me.

I need the CFX board updated and programmed, font reloaded properly, parts installed into chassis, board re wired, and aux switch installed. I have all the parts. Considering upgrading to a neo pixel or just a tri cree, the single LED that's in there now kind of sucks.

Let me know if anyone can help me out!

Chase.

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
Re: Help Needed Saber Assembly / Board Programming
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 03:56:01 PM »
While I am confident that one of the installers will be happy to take the commission, it will probably help to post a picture of what they will be dealing with. More likely pictures, including close ups of the board. I would be concerned about cleaning up a mess site unseen in case any real damage was done by the guy who originally attempted it!

Offline Survivor97

• No Force
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 06:19:28 PM »
While I am confident that one of the installers will be happy to take the commission, it will probably help to post a picture of what they will be dealing with. More likely pictures, including close ups of the board. I would be concerned about cleaning up a mess site unseen in case any real damage was done by the guy who originally attempted it!

Right, I'll be sure to post some pictures. Everything works properly as it should, but this guy could barely even figure out how to load a soundfont.. Looks like he overwrote the new font name with one of the pre loaded font names, as there is only the one font on the board, which is fine, but..you know.. All original board contents are on my hard drive I should add. But the big problem was the way he had the board and wires situated.. Everything was sort of stuffed into the hilt, and because of that, some wires got frayed and all loosey goosey.. lol. Not proper.. at all..

Bottom line, everything just needs to be cleaned up, and done over, board firmware updated, aux switch wired in, I want to get the full experience from the saber.

Chase.

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2020, 06:27:54 PM »
If you are looking for help with fonts and configs, that is super easy, and most of us can help here or point you to educational material. For a switch to be wired, it would be a drag to have to ship something and pay for service as that is by far the easiest part of a build.

If messing with the fonts and configs is outside of your wheelhouse, no offense as I know many people that wouldn’t want to touch that, but given some time and patience, it is pretty simple. Ditto for wiring your switch.

Again, if it is your desire to send the saber out and have an experienced installer do the job, you found the right place, just suggesting a possible alternative!

Offline Survivor97

• No Force
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2020, 06:46:20 PM »
If you are looking for help with fonts and configs, that is super easy, and most of us can help here or point you to educational material. For a switch to be wired, it would be a drag to have to ship something and pay for service as that is by far the easiest part of a build.

If messing with the fonts and configs is outside of your wheelhouse, no offense as I know many people that wouldn’t want to touch that, but given some time and patience, it is pretty simple. Ditto for wiring your switch.

Again, if it is your desire to send the saber out and have an experienced installer do the job, you found the right place, just suggesting a possible alternative!

Yeah, I'm sure it is quite simple to load a font and configure the board. Where would the information be?

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2020, 06:49:35 PM »
CFX Manual has everything you need. There are also YouTube videos from several sources.

Article Info - Plecter Labs - Props Electronics

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2020, 08:37:41 PM »
I moved this to Wanted.

I'm curious, and will need some pics of everything before committing to to a repair job/quote.
PM me or post here.

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

Offline Survivor97

• No Force
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 05:06:45 PM »
I moved this to Wanted.

I'm curious, and will need some pics of everything before committing to to a repair job/quote.
PM me or post here.

Hello,

Here are some pictures of the electronics and the hilt.

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 05:50:42 PM »
Wow...dude was trying to set a jst connector record!  Looks like half the hilt was taken up with the connectors....and must have also been allergic to wires that aren’t black or red!

Just took a second look...what is the black wire that looks to be touching the housing of the sd card?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 05:52:43 PM by scott »

Offline Survivor97

• No Force
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2020, 06:19:32 PM »
Wow...dude was trying to set a jst connector record!  Looks like half the hilt was taken up with the connectors....and must have also been allergic to wires that aren’t black or red!

Just took a second look...what is the black wire that looks to be touching the housing of the sd card?

Thats the negative wire for the speaker.. Yeah, everything was forced into the saber, putting a alot of stress on the wires, causing them to fray and weaken/break off..

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 06:42:41 PM »
Yikes...looks like a KR flagship?  Cool looking saber...you will get things fixed here.

Offline Survivor97

• No Force
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2020, 08:24:59 PM »
Yikes...looks like a KR flagship?  Cool looking saber...you will get things fixed here.

It's an Ultrasabers "The Fallen", based off the Jaro Topal/Cal Kestis saber from the Jedi Fallen Order game. Not the most accurate representation, there are a couple others that are far more accurate, but once this is all resolved I do plan on joining a sparring club. If I bought a gorgeous, screen accurate saber, I would be very hard pressed to risk damaging it. This one gets the overall look and uniqueness, but I can duel with it and not beat myself up if it gets a little battle worn..

Offline pipster79

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2020, 06:41:47 AM »
Wow someone seriously wired a negative to the sd housing? Omg now I've seen it all. The question of why is way too obvious when there are contacts on the board for everything needed.

Offline Survivor97

• No Force
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2020, 06:01:52 PM »
Wow someone seriously wired a negative to the sd housing? Omg now I've seen it all. The question of why is way too obvious when there are contacts on the board for everything needed.

No it's not wired to the card housing. The wire broke off, I guess that's just where it fell when I took the picture.

Offline pipster79

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2020, 08:15:13 PM »
Thank god lol it looked like someone tried to get a ground off of it lol

retrousse