fiduciary

Author Topic: Why Obi ? Why?  (Read 6576 times)

Offline Varth Dader

• Padawan Learner
Why Obi ? Why?
« on: September 05, 2012, 06:23:08 PM »
What's your thoughts on why Obi just stood there and let Vader cut him in to Jedi fog!!
" I feel a great disturbance in the force" - ObiWan's first trip to Taco Bell

Offline Darthvix

• Master Force User
    • Darthvix Custom Sabers
Re: Why Obi ? Why?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 06:26:20 PM »
He knew he could not get out of it, and he could help luke by dying, so, not the easiest choice, but one he knew he had to make.
Best,
Terry

Offline Clark Kent

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 06:42:05 PM »
besides, he was hiding and running all those years, i guess he got sick of it and decided to move on.  plus, he saw Luke and the future Luke had and his potential. he knew it was time to go. let the next generation take it from here. he knew what he was doing, he was very smart. ;)

Offline Professor Huyang

• Formerly known as TyFighter
  • Master Force User
  • The Saber Baron
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 06:49:33 PM »
"If you strike me down now I will become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."

That's why.
"Many years I have been on this ship teaching many a Jedi before you, and I will continue teaching many a Jedi after you. Call me what you want, but inside my memory banks I contain a record of every lightsaber ever made, and the Jedi who fashioned it."
―Huyang

Offline Clark Kent

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 06:54:25 PM »
yeah but really that means nothing, because you never see him again, only in ghost form.

so really, that was almost like an empty threat. besides, he was an old man. he couldnt really do much anymore.
dont get me wrong, Obi is a bad mofo but he knew his time came.

he basically passed the torch on to Luke.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 07:06:39 PM by Clark Kent »

Offline The_Night

• Master Force User
  • "I have become your Nightmare"
    • Prestige Sabers
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 07:28:59 PM »
He became more powerful by becoming one with the force. By becoming one with the force he could be with Luke always to guide him and teach him. And I'm think as a conscious embodiment of the force in the state of the force he would have great influence on the will of it and how the force interacts with the present and future.

Just my speculations though
MR Vader ESB
MR Maul Staff- Converted
MFX Starkiller
KOTOR Clan Sabers

Offline nartules

• Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 07:29:41 PM »
As a ghost he could travel anywhere in the galaxy at anytime, and I bet he manipulated the force from beyond.  Ensuring the demise of the emperor.  What other Jedi was ever able to be everywhere in the universe they wanted to be at a moments notice?

So he did become more powerful than Vader could imagine...until he died and became a force ghost as well.

Time will bring the real end of our trial.  One day they'll be no remnants

Offline Varth Dader

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
Great theory's. Since I started the thread I guess I'll give mine. Obi-wan never told Luke Vader was his father. Obi-Wan was one of the very few people still alive that knew Vader WAS his father...........but he knew one day Luke must face him and "strike him down". So, I feel Obi was trying to instill a hatred in Luke toward Vader so when that time came, he would not hesitate.....( stay with me ) first he told Luke " a young Jedi named Darth Vader betrayed and killed your father"... Next in the battle between Obi and Vader, Obi slowly turns and sees Luke watching them fight. Now up to this point Obi has been holding his own with Vader, but when he sees Luke.......when he sees Luke.....I feel he knows, I've already told him Vader killed his father, so if he sees Vader strike me down as well, that will be the final nail in the coffin!! He wanted Luke to see Vader kill him so that hatred would grow, and when that time came.....when the two stood face to face.....lightsabers humming.......Luke would just see the man who killed his father, and his mentor! But that's just my opinion.

How many of you read the line " a young Jedi named Darth Vader........." read it in Alec Guiness's voice?

Offline Acerocket

• Formerly known as Wat Tambor
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 09:00:03 PM »
Never underestimate the power of martyrdom.

Offline Forgetful Jedi Knight

• FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • The old Jedi Master also commonly known as FJK
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 09:00:26 PM »
Also keep in mind that the story had evolved from one movie to the next. At the time ANH was filmed and released, no one expected there to be a sequel. I have a feeling a the time that line was written, it wasn't set in stone that Vader really was Luke's father. That part probably came when a decision was made to do ESB, with an eye on doing ROTJ.

May the force be with you all!

Remember... speak softly and carry a well constructed light saber! :)

How "Freedom of Speech" works:  you have the freedom to say whatever you want, BUT you also have the freedom to suffer whatever consequences your actions or words dictate

Offline Sandpeople are people too

• Once made Darth Vader Chuckle
  • Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 09:11:02 PM »
Would Obi have wanted to play off Luke's emotions like that?  That seems like a sith thing to do- getting Luke all riled up to use him as a anger-filled weapon of vengeance against Vader (the emperor's anger-filled weapon of vengeance) .  What other options did Obi have?  

#1 Fight with vader until more stormtroopers arrive, capture the lot of them, and then they all get executed (luke and leia).

#2 Escape, and have to get reeled into more military action, or worse, monologues from Mon Mothma.

#3 Escape, and have to continue to train luke (who had been pretty whiny already)- ug, nope, I'll go force ghost and outsource his training to Yoda.  Plus, obi didn't like how his last padawan turned out (vader), so maybe yoda would have better luck.

Obi was done.  He had nothing left that he had to do other than deliver Luke to the rebellion effort.   It could also be another plot hole; I don't know that GL really poured over the script that much; he seems to be more of a effects/vision kind of guy, and less of a character-driven story teller.

Offline Scruffy Nerf Herder

• #1 supporter of Jar Jar for EPVII main lead character
  • Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 03:54:50 AM »
I'll drop my .02 into this convo...

Hatred...no.  That is the Sith way and Obi Wan would never use anger or fear to push Luke.  From the beginnings of his teachings to Luke he tried to instill the idea of the living force in him (which he learned from Qui Gon after death in ghost form)

Along that line Obi Wan learned how to become one with the living force and in death he would not actually die.  He would transcend the physical form and have unlimited knowledge and power to pass onto Luke.  Remeber, a few years pass between ANH and ESB in which he had plenty of time to instruct Luke in the ways of the force.  It was the physical limitations of being a ghost that he couldn't surpass so he instructed Luke to seek out Yoda to complete the Jedi training.

All speculation obviously however I think it's a plausible explanation to the first question.  Obi knew from Qui Gon's teachings that he would serve Luke and by proxy The Force by sacrificing his physical form.

Offline Mersenne

• Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 05:26:07 AM »
I think the whole self sacrafice means 2 things - it definately helped Luke direct his focus in defeating the Empire and we know he had part revenge in him (fight for a cause).

And the whole - I will become more powerful ...... - well prior to TPM, I thought to live beyond the present and be one with the Force, you had to give your life up willingly in a non-fighting back situation - both Obi and Anakin did this and to be part of the Force and assit others through there life is pretty powerful stuff really.

I still stick to this idea and believe that the QG becoming a Ghost is a GL glitch
it's all Elemental

Offline CinDrycast

• Experienced Force User
  • Remember... The Force will be with you... Always!
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 07:05:15 AM »
Well in the new Blu-Ray Trilogy (Edit: Complete Saga... I always forget there are 6 SW movies, not 3 xD) box, there is an interview to Uncle George about the premature death of Obi-Wan. Lucas says that in his first draft of the Star Wars Universe story, Yoda didn't exist. There was only one Jedi left, and he was Obi. Then he starts recalling that in his original story, only ONE Death Star was constructed and destroyed, and Kenobi died only at the end (exactly at the point of ROTJ when Yoda dies). So he had to concentrate almost everything in one movie, due to the lack of money and the uncertain future of his project (he thought the movie would have been a flop, with no sequels). This explains why we have TWO Death Stars, and TWO Jedi masters (both dying before the end of the story arc), because at the time of ESB, there was no more Jedi Master, but there was an Initiate (Luke), so he created Yoda. Even the Emperor was supposed to be a politician and a puppet, ruled by the Moffs (like Tarkin). But then success... A sequel... The MONEY! xD It changed the story...

So, Obi-Wan's death can be seen like it was intentional, unintentional, emotional... Everything. It is what we think it is, because initially there was no intent in making him return (In an early draft of the script, Kenobi was even Owen Lars' eldest brother, and in fact, Luke's real uncle). :P

(And here comes the OT geek rant: Qui Gon had the same ability as Obi-Wan, because -HE TAUGHT OBI- how to become one with the force, so why at the end of ROTJ Anakin appears as one with the force, and Qui Gon doesn't? It would've had much sense to add Neeson over Shaw, than Christensen! And here come out the millions plot holes typical of the Prequels...)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 01:54:41 PM by CinDrycast »

Master Replicas Ep. VI Luke Skywalker Lightsaber V2 LE #0496/1500
eFX Episode VI Luke Skywalker 'Version Two' Lightsaber PCR

Offline Varth Dader

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 06:18:21 PM »
Ol' Obi might have been getting ready to do a Jedi round house kick........but Vader got him at the last second!

retrousse