fiduciary

Author Topic: Understanding the neopixel blade  (Read 1109 times)

Offline scalelokt

• No Force
Understanding the neopixel blade
« on: June 30, 2020, 07:16:12 AM »
Hello everyone!  I just recently got a new saber (sabertrio) and it's my first new saber in like 10 years.  Technology has really improved and the neopixel blade is pretty amazing!  So just had a couple questions if you don't mind educating me on this:

1.  When looking at the blade straight on it is bright from end to end and looks completely solid.  However if you hold it out and look down the length of the blade there are a couple spots that appear darker, especially right in the middle.  I'm assuming this is normal but just wanted to make sure?

2.  Is the neopixel blade a standard thickness across the board and interchangeable?  In other words if I were to order another could I just buy one from anywhere that sells them and it will fit, or would have to make sure it's compatible?

Thanks so much everyone!

Offline scott

• Experienced Force User
  • Oh, I don’t think so.
Re: Understanding the neopixel blade
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 09:07:51 AM »
Tough to say without pictures, however, depending on the quality of the blade build and type of diffusion used, you can see inconsistent color and lighting...if diffusion foam is squeezed together too tightly.

Never held a sabertrio hilt, but many pixel adapters have the same standards with three rings on the blade side adapter...the ones from TCSS and shtock are most common and work with each other. You should be sure before trying another blade so that you don

Offline scalelokt

• No Force
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 03:47:08 PM »
Unfortunately I couldn't get a picture of the effect I'm seeing because on camera it just looks bright no matter what.  However I talked with sabertrio and they said what I'm seeing is a separation between the two LED strips and is totally normal because there is a solder joint there.  So at least that got answered.  Fortunately it's only visible from extreme angles so no big deal :)  Thanks!

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 08:33:47 PM »
The LEDs are just an industry standard format of LED that is broadly used in the entertainment industry.  There are a few different ways people name the blades using them, so you'll have to make sure the connectors are compatible.  Generally if they look the same it's probably fine, but there is nothing stopping someone from putting their own spin on things.

Offline Blackbird

• No Force
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 03:13:37 AM »
When they say there is a solder joint,
I take it they mean that they don’t use a full 1 mtr strip.
Instead they use 2 strips joined together to give the length required repeating the process for the other side?
Afraser131

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2020, 04:32:36 AM »
They are manufacturer in half meter segments. This is true even for 15m strips.

Offline Blackbird

• No Force
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2020, 08:50:29 AM »
I take it that means then that you will always have a small area of shadow?

I see the new KR sabers strip looks
Good.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5U_wD-h-i2Q
Afraser131

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 11:08:50 AM »
Yeah, but it's a very, very small area of shadow. It's barely noticeable on most pixel blades, even if you know it's there and go looking for it. If you diffuse your blade even further (sand it down), it vanishes. 
Better late than never.

Offline Blackbird

• No Force
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 01:43:19 PM »
Good to know.

Whatever happened to media blasted blades?
Afraser131

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 02:29:16 PM »
The joint should not be any different than any other gap in the strip. If you are worried about it, cut your strips at different positions so the seems aren't in the same place. You can also stagger the position of the strips to balance the light, but effects will be slightly skewed.

retrousse