fiduciary

Author Topic: Announcing the Teensy Saber open source sound board  (Read 91594 times)

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
Announcing the Teensy Saber open source sound board
« on: August 16, 2016, 12:59:36 AM »
The Teensy Saber is a light saber sound board based on a Teensy 3.2. The code is open source and the electronics is easy to build.
It has some unique features:

• neopixel support
  • 44/22/11khz Audio
  • touch button support
  • multiple blades with different presets for each
  • supports both monophonic and polyphonic sound fonts
  • can play background music with other sounds
  • lots of free pins that can be programmed to do other stuff

Of course, most of the standard features are there as well.

All instructions, including how to build the electronics, software downloads and graflex chassis models can be found here:

fredrik.hubbe.net/lightsaber/

Demo video

Questions, requests, or mindless rants can be posted on this thread, and I'll do my best to answer.

Offline Sithilis

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
Re: Announcing the Teensy Saber open source sound board
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 05:11:12 AM »
Looks sweet by the way, I just wanted to know did you use the teensy3.2 or the prop shield board. Also would a novice be able to replicate you're results using the information you have provided

Offline Kolgrima

• Force User
  • Never tell me the odds!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 05:58:56 AM »
Most impressive. Nice board design, simple construction out of all stock hobby parts, and very clear instructions with loads of visuals, I'll definitely take a page from your book. When I do documentation. I can't wait to see some of these get built by the community. awesome work man!

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 06:01:49 AM »
 :huh: :huh:

wow that's sweet!!

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 07:55:07 AM »
Most impressive. Nice board design, simple construction out of all stock hobby parts, and very clear instructions with loads of visuals, I'll definitely take a page from your book. When I do documentation. I can't wait to see some of these get built by the community. awesome work man!

Seconded!

You are so awesome. I love the video you show is amazing. Very, very, very cool. I could add 1,000 more 'verys'.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 09:05:28 AM »
Looks sweet by the way, I just wanted to know did you use the teensy3.2 or the prop shield board. Also would a novice be able to replicate you're results using the information you have provided

Both, (follow the link and click on "electronics" for more information.)

It's certainly my intention that a novice can replicate my results. The build requires more work than a commercial sound board, but the work isn't more difficult, there is just more of it.  Knowing how to solder, program and use a dremel certainly helps, but if you don't, I don't see why you couldn't learn on this project.

Ultimately you'll have to decide for yourself though, read through the instructions, and if there are any parts that are unclear, please let me know so that I can improve the instructions.

Offline TheBaconWizard

• Experienced Force User
  • Font artist
    • CrystalSonix
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 12:27:00 PM »
Congrats on the culmination of your hard work! This has lots of win.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 12:52:56 PM »
BRAVO and Congratulations!
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 11:05:50 AM »
Nice one! And welcome to the "built my own sound board" club!  :smiley:

Offline ShogunLogan

• Force User
  • HI THERE!
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 04:08:23 AM »
Most impressive indeed! For neo pixels its actually surprisingly bright!  Really hope the best for this in the future as one day i want to give string blades a shot and would love a budget friendly board to accommodate.

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 01:12:45 PM »
Wow, welcome in the fellowship of Arduino Lightsaber Enthusiastics! There are only a couple of people worldwide who managed to build a working lightsaber electronics on their own and you are now one of us :)

I love the exchangable blade, but what I found extraordinary and unique is the charging with a plug-in blade-dummy! As I downright hate the recharge port, this is an idea I have to look at more closely!

Well done!!! I sense a real potential in this one!

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2016, 12:43:33 AM »
Finished the LED star adapter. It makes it possible to use standard hollow blades my teensysaber. (Or potentially some other string saber.)  It's pretty easy to make and requires no expensive tools.

Full instructions here

Here is a shot using an empty trans-white tube, no blade film.

I think using modules like this would be cool for other types of electronics as well, as it makes it super-easy to change the color of your saber, without resorting to RGB stars, which are just not as bright.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2016, 06:35:55 PM »
I just want to make sure there is no confusion here:

I am not selling anything[1]. All the instructions, 3d-models, source code and links to where you can buy all the required parts are available on my site.
If you don't want to build it yourself, there are lots of saber smiths on this board who can do it for you[2].

[1] I put up a Shapeways store to make it easier to obtain the 3d-printed parts. The models are available for free if you have access to a 3d printer.
[2] If you are a saber smith, and you want me to send people your way, PM me.

Offline McFarticus

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2016, 05:06:07 PM »
I've searched far and wide about this, so I'll ask here.  I came across the teensy 3.6 at the local microcenter (it has the MicroSD already on it, plus a faster processor).  I have the prop on order from sparkfun, but I imagine there are changes in regards to the SDcard script.   I'm mostly new to programming. 

It comes down to two things here:

What changes will I have to make in the code for the SD, and where can I figure out how to make this thing work with a single 3.2-3.5V 1A XP-E cree LED? (I have a white LED I can squeeze in for the clash effect if needed, same voltage with 0.7A)

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2016, 05:08:49 PM »
I've searched far and wide about this, so I'll ask here.  I came across the teensy 3.6 at the local microcenter (it has the MicroSD already on it, plus a faster processor).  I have the prop on order from sparkfun, but I imagine there are changes in regards to the SDcard script.   I'm mostly new to programming. 

It comes down to two things here:

What changes will I have to make in the code for the SD, and where can I figure out how to make this thing work with a single 3.2-3.5V 1A XP-E cree LED? (I have a white LED I can squeeze in for the clash effect if needed, same voltage with 0.7A)

Short answer: I don't know.

Much longer answer: I don't think you have to change much, as the SD card interface is very simple. Teensy 3.6 has some new features that lets you access the SD card faster, but I don't know what you would need to do to use those features. I have a Teensy 3.6 sitting on my desk at home, but I have not tried to use it yet.

One thing to watch out for though: The Teensy 3.6 has the Audio Out (A14) in a different position than the Teensy 3.2, so you'll need to make that connection with a wire instead of a pin. Shouldn't be a big deal, but could be very confusing if you didn't know about it.  (The rest of the pins near the short side of the prop shield are not required, so I don't think you have to worry about those.)

A FET and a resstor per LED is all you need for the LEDs.

For the 1A LED, the resistor should eat 0.2 volts, which at 1A means you need 0.2 ohms. The means the resistor will emit 0.2 watts of heat.

For the 0.7A led, you'd want a 0.14 ohm resistor, which will emit 0.1 watts of heat.

I assume you've looked at the circuit diagram: Teensy Saber Electronics

PS: This the intended place to ask questions, feel free to ask more!

retrousse