fiduciary

Author Topic: Galaxy's Edge Lightsaber Firmware Flaw  (Read 6399 times)

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
Galaxy's Edge Lightsaber Firmware Flaw
« on: June 02, 2019, 09:00:36 AM »
I normally try to stay pretty positive, but as somebody who takes saber sound seriously, this was upsetting to see. Tisk, tisk. Somebody didn't optimize their motion engine. How does this kind of lag make it into the final product?

This illustrates difference between building sabers/soundboards purely for money and building them for passion.

Hats off to Erv, Niagon, Protonerd(Obi_1), and Profezzorn for doing better than this for years. Disney is still trying to catch up to the NB 2.0 of old!

Star Wars Galaxy's Edge Custom LIGHTSABERS review - YouTube
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 09:02:42 AM by JakeSoft »

Offline Darth Chasm

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
Re: Galaxy's Edge Lightsaber Firmware Flaw
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 05:50:17 PM »
Im really not impressed with these at all. To me, they are really unattractive and look cheap. And they're HUGE! The crystal concept is the only interesting thing I see but its not enough to redeem these awful monstrosities.

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 07:36:01 PM »
Im really not impressed with these at all. To me, they are really unattractive and look cheap. And they're HUGE! The crystal concept is the only interesting thing I see but its not enough to redeem these awful monstrosities.

In the few videos and pictures I've seen so far I was trying to decide if they really were that cartoonishly big, or if the people holding them just had small hands. I guess they really are chunky.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 04:36:19 AM »

I like the CC swapping feature, but jbkuma did it better, though. I also do like that no-blade detection sparking sound. Could be a fun thing to implement into Neopixel sabers. and not too hard to code into arduino, either.

But yes, they do look like cheap Hasbro knockoffs. Which is impressive, given they're made of metal and cost upwards of two hundred bucks.

...I wonder how long it'll be before:
a) someone on the saber forums rips one apart, so we can have a good laugh at what's inside,
b) the forums start getting posts asking for help adding Crystal Focuses to their Galaxy's Edge toys.

Better late than never.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 09:45:58 AM »
They are marketing to 'muggles' accustomed to the giant toy sabers. Not surprised they'd be buggy; muggles have never heard or felt the performance of a real saber sounboard so have low expectations Disney can exploit.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 10:51:22 AM »
I do think you get a lot for the money with one of these... I could deal with the rudimentary sound for the building experience plus the bright removable blade you get with it. Plus, changing the crystal is pretty cool.

Of course nothing compares to the stuff people on this forum can build... and the crystal thing is no where near as cool as Jbkuma came up with for his Infinity saber. But like Onli-Won Kanomi says, this is more for muggles.

The size of the saber looks about right to me... not overly too big but I don't particularly like any of the designs I see people making. The experience looks pretty cool the way they do it:

Galaxy?s Edge - Build-Your-Own Lightsaber Experience in Savi?s Workshop -

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 07:19:10 PM »
I do think you get a lot for the money with one of these... I could deal with the rudimentary sound for the building experience plus the bright removable blade you get with it.

So, you want to build a saber, with a super bright removable blade, in a room that is heavily Star Wars inspired? Dude, just go into your garage!

I read the comments on some of the videos about these theme park sabers and people (muggles) are going nuts for them. If they watched 10 minutes of the SpaceWindu YT channel, their heads would explode!

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 11:49:13 PM »
I think it is indeed the whole 'experience' people are enjoying. I'd probably like that part too; I'm no fan of Disney but must admit they do know how to put on a show/experience for folks at their parks...most of whom have no idea our saber hobby exists...if they did...

But hey some few might get bit by the saber bug there and eventually find their way here. If this serves as their "first step into a larger world" of custom sabers then imo it could be a good thing.

I do wonder how their chassis' colour selection system works - chip inside the 'khybur crystal' mayhaps?

To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 03:00:48 AM »
I do wonder how their chassis' colour selection system works - chip inside the 'khybur crystal' mayhaps?

Given that I've now seen a video where someone changes the colours of the Holocrons GE also sell by inserting one of the lightsaber crystals into it (like, loosely into a tray, not carefully between two spring loaded clips like the sabers), I have to speculate that there's some kind of RFID chip inside the crystals that tells the sabers/holocrons what colour to be.

Doesn't sound like the different crystals play different sound fonts, though. Just lighting. But again, can't say for sure until someone actually dismantles one (as opposed to the "dismantling" on youtube, where they just remove the removable parts and leave the core intact)

So, anyone willing to take one for the team and go to Galaxy's Edge with $200 and a screwdriver?  :wink:
Better late than never.

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 08:14:55 AM »
I do think you get a lot for the money with one of these... I could deal with the rudimentary sound for the building experience plus the bright removable blade you get with it.

So, you want to build a saber, with a super bright removable blade, in a room that is heavily Star Wars inspired? Dude, just go into your garage!

I read the comments on some of the videos about these theme park sabers and people (muggles) are going nuts for them. If they watched 10 minutes of the SpaceWindu YT channel, their heads would explode!

Haha I was thinking that, too,... I just didn't know there were SO MANY people who wanted to do the same thing! LOL

What a great compliment, thank you :)

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 09:07:18 AM »
Thanks guys for the kind words and support!  I already had some ideas for doing something similar, although I'm not sure how soon I'll have time to work on any of it.  Now I really just want to get my hands on one to reverse engineer!

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2019, 09:00:51 PM »
Oh oh they've now got BLACK 'Kyber crystals' which turn the saber blade...RED (because Physics doh) and the scientifically illiterate muggles are complaining...geez louise thanks heaps Disney please lets not start up THAT mess again eh? -sigh-

Offline Delta Scepter

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2019, 01:14:59 PM »
I hope some custom saber forge adapts the kyber crystal technology from the Galaxy's Edge sabers. That way I have a reason to get a black crystal for the Ultraviolet Blacklightsaber I want to make.

Offline Katarn

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2019, 11:53:04 PM »
Just got one yesterday.
Yup, still jas a delay. Kinda bummed for 200 credits. Blade also seems really short and diffusing isn't very even. I can almost count the LEDs (blue).
And dont get me started on extra crystals... I went to get more and was told the ONLY way to get more crystals right now is to buy a holocron, and you only get ONE crystal with that!!!
They said its because crystals are in low stock and should only be temporary.
I'm like man that sucks for anyone visiting here like once in a lifetime. I live in San Diego so its not hard to come back but jeeez what if you flew from Germany or something!? Scalpers man... I hate em.

Anyway no yellow for me so I'm stuck with blue for a while. Anyway the experience was worth it and the saber could be worse. I am pretty impressed with the foc! Very bright white/yellow spark flash. But I would love a longer blade with better diffusion. Blade makers!!! Help us out here!!!

And yes I would love to crack open the chassis and see how the crystal thing works. I might not be the best guy for the job but I am curious!

Long story short, I like it but there are some flaws. Experience of building makes up for half the cost. Very emotional!

Pics later... I'm exhausted from 2 days of Disney.
Korbanth LS6 Hero PC 1.6 conversion by LDM (next best thing to the MkVI)
TCSS MHS #1 "Coppertop"
Vintage Graflex ANH

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2019, 03:32:18 AM »
So, this popped up on youtube's recommended section this morning. Looks like I guessed right, the "kyber" crystals do have RFID chips in them that control the colour of the sabers and the holocrons, and they appear to be easily re-writable.

I wonder if this is something that could be worth implementing in current saber tech? I mean, muggle saber aside, colour swapping via crystal swapping is a pretty neat feature.

Better late than never.

retrousse