fiduciary

Author Topic: Style recomendation  (Read 3788 times)

Offline Naast

• Force User
Style recomendation
« on: May 12, 2009, 09:38:57 PM »
 Ok, so for years I've been dueling with friends, using a fairly basic technique similar to Ataru, but missing a few moves. And now that I'm getting into saber dueling with my friends, we're all wondering what styles would be more fitting to us.

Me: I'm 6'4 232lbs, so I have alot of weight to move around, but I still manage to be quick on my feet. I've always been an aggressive-defensive fighter, you know, countering my opponents moves instead of defending. I have been known to grapple if my opponent gets close enough, but due to my size I have much more reach and tend to keep out of reach.

Friend 1: He's 5'10, weight unknown, but he's a powerbuilder, and has alot of strength to use (I've been working with him on how to control it, so he doesn't break his saber when he gets it.) but is far from agile. He has great reflexes, but is slow on his feet. He's also very aggressive, almost always attacking, and dodging instead of blocking or attempting to counter.

Friend 2: He's 5'11, weight also unknown, very small, and pretty light on his toes. He's agile, and his size makes dodging easy. He blocks, but not often. He's very passive and prefers to dodge around. More of a parry, run, parry, run until Friend 1 has swung out and is gasping for air.

Big thanks before hand. Also, if you can recomend sabers as well, that'd be nice. As I'm the only one who's bought a combat capable saber (from ultra sabers, but I still plan to get another or two.) and they're still deciding.

Live in Cen Cal, would like to know of any local groups.

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
Re: Style recomendation
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 09:51:28 PM »
Ok, ...lets see.
You:
Because of your size and build, most styles are hard to "look good". I would suggest a regular "gentleman's style, ...maybe a part on the left, keep the bangs high, round the back, no sideburns.

Friend #1, The Power lifter.
I would say clean shaven, or at most, a crew cut.

Friend #2, the "very small" one.
He could probably go with "the skateboarder" look, lengthy, ....but not really that "emo" look.

I suggest going to Fantastic Sams or some other retail chain and browse through the photo books and match your "body builds" to the styles that most compliment them.

Oh, ..we're not talking about hair Styles are we?  :-\

Then Try this:
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=16958.0

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=16270.0

http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=17262.0
In the long run, ...all combat styles will have advantages and disadvantages based on the size of a person, .....go with what you are comfortable with, ...or just wait for Caine to comment, ....he seems to know a bit about all this.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 09:53:32 PM by Darth_Call »

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 09:53:15 PM »
Ok, so for years I've been dueling with friends, using a fairly basic technique similar to Ataru, but missing a few moves. And now that I'm getting into saber dueling with my friends, we're all wondering what styles would be more fitting to us.

Me: I'm 6'4 232lbs, so I have alot of weight to move around, but I still manage to be quick on my feet. I've always been an aggressive-defensive fighter, you know, countering my opponents moves instead of defending. I have been known to grapple if my opponent gets close enough, but due to my size I have much more reach and tend to keep out of reach.

Friend 1: He's 5'10, weight unknown, but he's a powerbuilder, and has alot of strength to use (I've been working with him on how to control it, so he doesn't break his saber when he gets it.) but is far from agile. He has great reflexes, but is slow on his feet. He's also very aggressive, almost always attacking, and dodging instead of blocking or attempting to counter.

Friend 2: He's 5'11, weight also unknown, very small, and pretty light on his toes. He's agile, and his size makes dodging easy. He blocks, but not often. He's very passive and prefers to dodge around. More of a parry, run, parry, run until Friend 1 has swung out and is gasping for air.

Big thanks before hand. Also, if you can recomend sabers as well, that'd be nice. As I'm the only one who's bought a combat capable saber (from ultra sabers, but I still plan to get another or two.) and they're still deciding.

You: Sounds like your style is more geared toward Juyo (saber form 7B)
Friend 1: Sounds like a mix of Djem-So and Vaapad (Form 5A and 7A)
Friend 2: Shii-Cho with a little bit of Ataru.

Friend #1 might want to look into a Dominix and Friend 2 at an Elder, Aggressor or Rifter.

Check out the link at the bottom of my sig for my tutorials on these and other forms of lightsaber combat.

Offline Naast

• Force User
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 10:01:02 PM »
 OMG, you described how we look! >.>

And thanks for the links you two, we'll start looking into em now!

Offline Wolfen

• Master Force User
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 10:03:29 PM »
Ok, ...lets see.
You:
Because of your size and build, most styles are hard to "look good". I would suggest a regular "gentleman's style, ...maybe a part on the left, keep the bangs high, round the back, no sideburns.

Friend #1, The Power lifter.
I would say clean shaven, or at most, a crew cut.

Friend #2, the "very small" one.
He could probably go with "the skateboarder" look, lengthy, ....but not really that "emo" look.

I suggest going to Fantastic Sams or some other retail chain and browse through the photo books and match your "body builds" to the styles that most compliment them.

Oh, ..we're not talking about hair Styles are we?  :-\

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
ROFL
Holy Smokes, I think I just woke my wife up I laughed so loud...

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety"-Ben Franklin

Offline darth_call

• Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 10:07:15 PM »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
ROFL
Holy Smokes, I think I just woke my wife up I laughed so loud...

Thank You, .....thank you, ...I'll be here all weekend, be sure to tip your waitress!

Offline Jedi Knight Logan

• MASTER OF THE HURRICANE FLURRY
  • Master Force User
  • "Have lightsaber, will travel....."
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 11:11:07 PM »
Hey Naast  :) It seems like you are  interested primarily in lightsaber forms... but have you considered possibly some formal training in swordsmanship? Perhaps there is a Kendo club somewhere in your area both you and your friends may attend. :)

"A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack..."

Offline Naast

• Force User
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 11:18:11 PM »
 I've looked, but the closest thing is some teenagers that just enjoy beeting each other down with bockens.... I have practiced kendo and fencing with a local who is versed in both, but I have only done so to improve myself as a fighter. Both have taught me many things, and training in the two has made me move fast and hit hard!

But again, no known clubs, and the only instructors (Too far away for frequent visits anyways.) charge more then I can afford.

Offline Jedi Knight Logan

• MASTER OF THE HURRICANE FLURRY
  • Master Force User
  • "Have lightsaber, will travel....."
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 10:37:45 PM »
Bummer. :(  Ah well... perhaps something will turn up down the road. In the meantime I'm glad you were able to practice with your friend. :)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 10:40:37 PM by Jedi Knight Logan »

"A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack..."

Offline Naast

• Force User
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 09:25:07 AM »
 So am I, we've been practicing for years with the simplest things we could find, because the local fight club only has un-armed fighting, no one sells practice weapons, etc.

But now that I've discovered this forum, and the many dueling saber producers, and ordered my first duel-capable saber, my friends and myself are eager to get started. (Now if only the wait for my saber wasn't such a long time.0

Thanks everyone for the help and recommendations. We'll put together some pvc weapons (while we wait for the ones we've ordered to come.)  to practice the forms with.

Offline torque6

• Force User
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 04:26:47 AM »
Looking forward to it. :D

Offline Aelde Renn

• Experienced Force User
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2009, 04:33:59 AM »
Caine, maybe I'm blind, but I am not seeing the link you referred to in your sig.....  I'd love to check it out!

Update*  I see it now!  Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 05:32:02 PM by Aelde Renn »

Anything worth doing is worth doing right; anything worth having is worth waiting for!

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2009, 10:01:28 AM »
Caine, maybe I'm blind, but I am not seeing the link you referred to in your sig.....  I'd love to check it out!

Yeah, I had to take it out...forum rules...however...

www.youtube.com/user/samfisherrules   ;)

Enjoy!

retrousse