fiduciary

Author Topic: 2007 Luke ANH Dueling Concerns...  (Read 2455 times)

Offline Phiily Manyaan

• No Force
2007 Luke ANH Dueling Concerns...
« on: January 07, 2008, 06:29:37 PM »
Hey guys, I posted this question in one of my other posts, but I feel it is more appropriate here.  If I were to duel lightly-moderately with a Luxeon-converted Luke ANH (I haven't converted it yet), what are the chances of the plastic blade holder breaking?  Does the blade go far enough into the hilt that most of the support is deep in the hilt and not on that plastic piece?  The piece with the red arrow is the piece I speak of.

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
Re: 2007 Luke ANH Dueling Concerns...
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 06:45:36 PM »
 ;)

When you get the conversion kit the plastic blade holder will be replaced by a metal blade holder my friend!! ;D

Offline Bandit-Jedi

• Formerly known as Bandit-Jedi
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • I have a way with...the Force.
    • My other love...2002 Trans Am Collector Edition
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 06:50:50 PM »
I have dueled moderately with one of my Luke ANH's in its stock form and it held up quite well considering some of the hits it took.

I won't say that it won't break though.  Cause all it takes is one good whack in the area of that piece and I can imagine it flying off.

May The Force FX Be With You!

Offline Phiily Manyaan

• No Force
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 12:52:00 PM »
Even when mailing it to Ultrasabers, they replace it with a metal one?  The pictures I've seen clearly had the stock piece.

Offline Master Mac

• Master Sig Artist
  • Master Force User
  • Firmitas in Caelo
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 01:30:43 PM »
;)

When you get the conversion kit the plastic blade holder will be replaced by a metal blade holder my friend!! ;D

What conversion kit are you talking about Ben? No one is offering a conversion kit for the Luke ANH at the moment. And Ultra doesn't replace the stock plastic blade holder with a metal one, not even on mail in conversions. The only person offering metal blade holders on all MR conversions at the moment is Do-Clo, and he doesn't offer conversion kits.

Even when mailing it to Ultrasabers, they replace it with a metal one?  The pictures I've seen clearly had the stock piece.

Yes, that is the stock piece. Anakin is right; they hold up pretty well, but it only takes one good hard whack to bust it. But if you're dueling light-moderately, I think you'll be alright.

-MM
As you from crimes would pardon'd be,
Let your indulgence set me free.

Offline HAN SOLO

• Jedi/Alliance General aka FX-Sabers' "The Most Interesting Scoundrel"
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Meet my business parter. His name is DL-44.
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 03:26:47 PM »
With slight modification of this holder, it fits like a glove in the ANH, including the screw hole lining up. I've started my ANH conversion, but it's going to be a slightly long road for me. I am currently finishing up anothe project first.

TCSS Graflex LED bade holder

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/LED-Graflex-adapter--P221.aspx

Negotiator 007
More to follow.........

Offline Master Mac

• Master Sig Artist
  • Master Force User
  • Firmitas in Caelo
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 03:28:52 PM »
What kind of slight modification are you speaking of, Guv?

Offline HAN SOLO

• Jedi/Alliance General aka FX-Sabers' "The Most Interesting Scoundrel"
  • FX-SABERS VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Meet my business parter. His name is DL-44.
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 03:39:25 PM »
It's a little loose if you just screw the one tapped hole near the "Glass Eye". But also that little metal bump on the angle near the Bunny Ears is to be removed, drill a screw hole and put a screw in there. The metal of the blade holder is light and strong. I am going to drill another hole in the hilt near the bottom of the blade holder. The holder is very snug and has a little bit of air between the hilt and holder. I don't have any pics yet, but I will attempt to get some soon. I am working on somethoing else at the moment. BTW, did my advice help a little?

Negotiator 007
More to follow.........

Offline Master Mac

• Master Sig Artist
  • Master Force User
  • Firmitas in Caelo
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 03:42:23 PM »
...Eventually. I layed on my couch and turned on the gas fireplace (puts out a constant low rushing noise). I managed to fall asleep around 4:30  :-\

Thanks a lot for all your help Guv. It's getting better day by day  :(

-Mac

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 05:05:13 PM »
 ;D
I'm sure the custom saber shop will have some later down the road and when they do I can say tim will have the metal blade holder lol ;) ;) ;D

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 05:54:05 PM »
I was looking at the Anakin Kit from TCSS today (I have one). And it is a bit too small to use, or so it appears.

I need to tear down the saber and see if it will fit. If it does, I plan on dremelling out a window in the anakin kit below the "Band" on it and installing it.  Although, I may have to make a shim for it to sit solid in the hilt... I'm not sure yet.

Offline Phiily Manyaan

• No Force
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 06:31:31 PM »
Thanks guys.  If you think the stock piece will hold up, then it will hold up.  I don't expect to take any direct hits to the hilt itself.  My brother and I often "duel" with hasbro sabers and we get pretty into it and haven't broken anything so, like I said earlier, if the blade extends at least an inch past the retention screw into the hilt, then there should be enough support there so the silver exposed piece isn't taking the stress of the blade.  Am I right? 

An afterthought: Can that metal blade holder be added after a mail-in conversion?  i.e. if the plastic does crack inside, can it be used as a direct replacement?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 06:35:22 PM by Phiily Manyaan »

Offline darthmorbius

• Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 06:36:46 PM »
It might, but if you keep it at medium hits you should be fine.

Like I stated before, I would avoid heavy "gorilla" dueliing with it to keep it frome certain doom though.

retrousse