fiduciary

Author Topic: Blade Retention Question  (Read 3372 times)

Offline Bender1987

• Padawan Learner
  • Grand Admiral
Blade Retention Question
« on: February 08, 2016, 07:52:07 AM »
Hey guy's so i was doing some pretty heavy dueling with my saber, And was tightening the retention screw pretty tight.
Long Story short i managed to strip the wall of the retention screw housing.
So my question is for anyone who duel's, How can i stop this from happening in the future, And how tight should i make it?
Also any other Tip's to keep the saber is good working oder in this regard would be much appreciated as well.
I am not here to find out what i can't do!

Offline westonbyrne

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Re: Blade Retention Question
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 10:48:44 PM »
Well, you could drill a hole into the blade itself and then run the retention screw thru the blade. you wouldn't be using tension/pressing the screw to keep the blade from coming out. rather, you would be making it go through it, and making it impossible for the blade to come out, all while keeping the threads comfy :)

Offline QUI-GON JINN

• Also known as Jay-gon Jinn!
  • JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Your focus determines your reality
Re: Blade Retention Question
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 05:36:15 AM »
Drilling through the blade is not as good idea.  Once you do that,  you have introduced a serious weak point in the blade,  and risk breakage of the blade in that area.  It's actually happened to many people over the last 12 years in this hobby,  and the best practice is actually the tension fit of a single set screw.  If you've stripped the threads,  you're tightening it too tight. To fix your blade screw problem,  all you need to do is drill and tap for a slightly larger set screw and just snug the screw when tightening.

retrousse