fiduciary

Author Topic: Orbital Saber Arts (Central OH)  (Read 7431 times)

Offline Tanqster

• No Force
Orbital Saber Arts (Central OH)
« on: August 11, 2013, 04:32:14 PM »
Hello, fellow saberites!

A partner and I are starting up regular weekend sabering sessions in Columbus, OH. We both have Japanese and European weapons experience, and I am currently a Learners in Exile knight with TPLA. We will be training based off of the Terra Prime Lightsaber Academy curriculum.

We're still deciding on a name for our club and have just started to make our presence known. It's a good time to get in on the ground floor.

The atmosphere will be one of fun and cooperation, where we all help each other in the spirit of improving as a group. It doesn't matter if you do or don't have martial arts experience - our first aim is to get Buckeyes interested in sabering as a pastime, whether it's for dueling, choreography, demonstrations, staying active, etc. Demonstrating at local conventions and performing for charities are considerations if we get a sizable group here.  We may also make trips up to TPLA HQ as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Deets:

Facebook Page::
Orbital Saber Arts
Group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/531027336971739

Time: Saturdays 3:30pm-5:30pm (autumn/winter hours)
  • Time commitment: It's only 2 hours each weekend. If you can't make it on a weekly basis due to other commitments or long commutes, we totally understand. Just let us know ahead of time.

Directions:

Age group: supervised sparring allowed for 18+; no sparring except drills for ages 10-17

Curriculum: Some of the things we will be exploring as a group and as part of TPLA:
  • Combat basics & warmups
  • TPLA lightsaber forms - philosophy and application
  • Translating traditional martial arts concepts to LED saber combat
  • Single person drills (Accelerations)
  • Two-person drills (Velocities)
  • Dulon - concepts demonstrations
  • Sparring: drills, flow sparring, free sparring
  • Group games
  • Stage combat/choreography (if there's interest)

Gear:
  • We are BIG on safety. Safety gear is a MUST. At minimum you should bring protective gloves (we use lacrosse gloves), and if you want to do more intensive partner stuff you should get your hands on a fencing mask or equivalent head protection sooner rather than later. I only have one loaner helmet (size L/XL). If you need help locating decently priced gear at a local shop, I can help you.
  • Lightsabers: If you still haven't gotten a saber, I have a few loaner sabers you can borrow, but you'll have to get your own soon.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So right now, aside from having your own saber and some gear, there's no other start-up cost. Any possible expenses in the future would be for contributing to indoor facility rental and maybe communal gear.

If you're interested in having fun with us, just drop me a PM, let us know that you'll be stopping by ahead of time.

Questions, advice, statements of interest, etc., are welcome!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 11:54:42 PM by Tanqster »

Offline Darth Midian

• Experienced Force User
Re: Central Ohio sabering
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 06:54:13 AM »
Tanqster, how are you doing?  I've been waiting so long for someone to put together a saber club here in the Columbus area.  I would love to meet up with you and like minded people for some saber fun.  I live in Reynoldsburg so I'm about 20 minutes if that from Columbus.  I look forward to hearing from you, Jack (Darth Midian.)

Offline Drazhar

• Master Force User
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 07:12:24 AM »
I can only imagine the looks we'll get on campus.

Another Columbus resident here.

Offline cordaroyfog

• Master Force User
  • Just your friendly neighborhood Fog...
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 07:24:47 AM »
I'm here too but probably not up for regular battles. A meet up would be fun though.

Offline Tanqster

• No Force
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 10:16:44 AM »
Hey fellas, thanks for your interest! I'm currently meeting on Saturday afternoons/evenings (4-6 or 6-8) with someone else from another forum at Park of Roses. It's a very accessible location. Currently negotiating with a local Community Center to rent out their space in anticipation of the colder months. If you want to drop in at your convenience please do so! Just let me know ahead of time. We will be meeting up again this weekend, so PM me your contact info and I will keep you in the loop. Thanks!

Offline Count Lilius

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 01:22:46 AM »
I moved to West Chester (20 mins north of Cincinnati) recently. I come from a group in Ashland, KY that has its roots through a group in Morehead, KY to Portsmouth, OH and I think Texas before that. I know all of their interpretations of all the forms excluding tra'kata. I was always more fluent in their choices of sith faction forms. But In my old days I travelled between groups as a jensaarai and learned both jedi and sith affiliated forms in my travels. I am in dire need of members, since I was given the task of starting a branch from the group down in Ashland, KY. Would you guys be interested?

Offline Tanqster

• No Force
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 09:57:12 PM »
Hi Count Lilius, I'd love to meet with meet more people to play with. However I'm working off of a pretty packed schedule, in addition to monthly pilgrimages back to my dojo on the East Coast and working on koryu bujutsu with local partners. As a result I have to be very picky with my commitments and commutes lest I overcommit, which would be a disservice not just to me but also those I train with.

With respect to saberplay, as much as I would like to experience the Force Academy's system, I'm already committed to the TPLA system, learning it, and helping it grow. I fear that making another commitment would split me in too many directions, so I may not be of much help to you if I was to be a member.

It's my sincere hope that both groups can grow - maybe we can arrange a meet-up in the future if things take off in both Cinci and Cbus - a cultural exchange, so to speak.

Also: OP updated with more details.

Offline Tanqster

• No Force
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 07:30:18 PM »
Thanks to Darth Midian and his friend for stopping by tonight! It was a pleasure to have more people join us, and I hope you had fun. It sounds like another additional 2 may possibly attend this next week as well - so far, so good.

Because it seems more convenient for everybody participating, we are switching to Fridays 6-8pm instead (edited in OP).

Edit: We're now on Saturdays 4-6pm for the autumn/winter period.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 07:51:16 PM by Tanqster »

Offline Tanqster

• No Force
Re: Saber Guild of Central Ohio (SGCO)
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 01:38:00 PM »
Registration has begun for training at an indoor facility for the Fall-Winter duration! If you're interested in sabering with us (for free except for like a 1-2$ community center pass), make sure to register. We'll be using this training facility beginning this coming Saturday, 3:30pm to 5:30pm.

To register:
1) Go to http://parks.columbus.gov/FeddersenCenter.aspx
2) Click on Online Registration
3) Scroll down the list and click on "Lightsaber Martial Arts"
4) Register!

Offline Sidd

• Banned
  • Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 01:48:58 PM »
Oh I wish you guys were closer

I would love to find a group for regular sabering

keep up the great work
User requested permanent ban 03/14/14

Offline Tanqster

• No Force
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 02:13:48 PM »

keep up the great work

Aw thanks Sidd...we wish you were closer, too :( If you ever have time or have cause to come to Columbus we'd be more than happy to host you any time man.

Offline Sidd

• Banned
  • Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 02:18:59 PM »

keep up the great work

Aw thanks Sidd...we wish you were closer, too :( If you ever have time or have cause to come to Columbus we'd be more than happy to host you any time man.

I have a little facebook site set up for northern Ohio saber peeps if you want to take a look
http://www.facebook.com/OhioSaber

just incase anyone of you guys wander up north
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 02:21:20 PM by Sidd »

Offline Tanqster

• No Force
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 02:48:43 PM »
Likewise!

Forgot to post up our Fb group: Saber Guild of Central Ohio

Offline Sidd

• Banned
  • Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 02:52:07 PM »
Likewise!

Forgot to post up our Fb group: Saber Guild of Central Ohio

I liked ya back :)

Offline Tanqster

• No Force
Re: Orbital Saber Arts (Central OH)
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 12:03:11 AM »
Just an update, we've had a name change to avoid potential conflict with the Saber Guild folks. Classes are ongoing, and we are expanding class to include kids ages 10-17 (parent supervision/participation encouraged), pending some paperwork with the city recreational facility management. We are practicing in an auditorium, so there's lots of room to move around.

retrousse