fiduciary

Author Topic: The non-martial arts  (Read 27819 times)

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
  • Many tentacles the dark side has
    • My Youtube channel
The non-martial arts
« on: May 21, 2014, 06:41:33 PM »
So this is my first post on this forum. I am a regular contributor to others but had never posted here. My basic shtick is that I have a fencing background and a little training in martial arts but I don't use that with my lightsaber work. Rather I approach lightsaber as a performance/juggling prop and focus on spins, flips, rolls etc. Most of what I can do, I learned through interactions with other lightsaber users through forums like this, and by integrating and adapting material from related disciplines like poi spinning and contact staff. My hope is that by posting here, I can draw on a different set of experts and peers who can help me develop what I do and advance my skill set. If in the interim, others can learn from the progress I have made, all the better. That then is my introduction and what follows are links to the video material I have created. While not an expert, I dare be proud of what I have accomplished. If any of you have comments, suggestions on technique, questions, or just want to post your own performance/non-martial work and join the conversation, please do.

Edit: Apparently external links to videos are not allowed in the editing process. Is there a way to link them that I am missing? If not, they may be found at the webpage link on my profile. I have four playlists: One is my video on basics that I am planning to use as a jumping off point for a series on 40+ variations on the plum flower spin. There is a standalone teaser video for where I see that series going called blooming the plum flower. There is a tutorial series I made (my first) on an inverted version of the classic Obi/Ani spin called doing things backwards. There is another series on flips and rolls called Using the Force, and a final playlist that contains a work log of practice footage and spins in development

« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 06:45:46 PM by Darth Cephalus »

Offline JANGO FETT

• Owner of Kilsythe Customs
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
    • Youtube channel
Re: The non-martial arts
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 06:55:00 PM »
Use the insert hyperlink icon.
[ url ] link [/url ]

Have you heard the tragedy of Mark Hamill the Wise?

My thoughts and prayers to the padawans of Coruscant - Master Jeselnik

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 06:58:19 PM »
Thanks for that. I was inputting the whole address trusting the forum to imbed it. Alright then. So here are quick links to the playlists I mentioned. Apparently, the links under the embedded videos go to the actual playlists.

This is my video on basics that I am planning to use as a jumping off point for a series on 40+ variations on the plum flower spin.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKXqekMvo2Y&list=PLf2BA9eUktws29zZjesedQ996qS8oYEpt

Here is a teaser video for where I see that series going.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSyoIs9mpzY

Here is a tutorial series I made (my first) on an inverted version of the classic Obi/Ani spin
www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqkRkJKLq90&list=PLf2BA9eUktwvR5xqtG_ciQipBVtMU2zcY

Here is a series on flips and rolls.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLcmqg32zIk&list=PLf2BA9eUktwvUfR1a_FW6TFe_rYnEDkKL

And here is a work log of practice footage and spins in development
www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGadlSECXF4&list=PLf2BA9eUktwtKNRdHvsjMzduHyt3BZx0x
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 07:14:51 PM by Darth Cephalus »

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 06:39:32 PM »
Apparently I am not youtube savvy enough to and the video links I posted just play the first video in each series. Lets try this link and see if it gets to the general list of playlists. By the way, I have added a few more videos to the practice list (including some saberstaff work) and two more videos to the basics list since I last posted here.

robert dobbs - YouTube

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 09:22:18 PM »
As an update, I started work on an intermediate series after finishing my basics videos. This video is the first. It deals with the reverse grip, including how to enter and exit it, its application on all of the basic moves, and a variant of the Obi/Ani and plum flower using a transition between the two grips. While the reverse grip is often considered rather basic, I wanted to call this an intermediate as some applications of it contain the possibility of injury if one is not very comfortable with the beginning blade mechanics shown in the basics series. One of the moves in here is something I saw Novastar do once.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU_McUxm2XY

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 08:51:12 PM »
New update: I got inspired and finished off the intermediate series. It now comprises 6 parts building on the 5 parts of the basic series. Next up is the advanced stuff featuring adding and subtracting beats to create new spins and dual wield and saberstaff work. All the intermediate stuff has been added to the playlist here
Blooming the Plum Flower: a Comprehensive Guide to Lightsaber Spinning - YouTube

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 12:29:57 PM »
Started in on the advanced stuff. The first three videos are on line; the first is here
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRZVqkP5nqM
I wanted to start with move creation and freestyle with single saber then move on to footwork/movement, and from there to dual wield and staff. I also embedded links to move from one video/series to the next. As always, feedback and comments are greatly appreciated.

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 05:28:06 PM »
Taking a break a bit from being serious. If only there were a way for a budget ninja to master dual wield flower spins and transitions at work and in his back yard. Help me DEVO, you're my only hope!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbEkb42B5ro

This one highlights some of my investigation into dual wield flowers, circular flowers, split flowers, flower hand switches and related areas. Mostly it is just playing around to DEVO. Enjoy.

Offline Michael_Acurantes

• No Force
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 02:55:47 AM »
thanks for the tutorial at least i managed to apply the plum flower spin to my shii cho practices.. its elegant to look at.

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 03:05:40 PM »
No problem. Glad it helped.

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 08:22:28 PM »
Jar'Kai dual wield spinning videos are finally here.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk0QTtl5SKo
After I made the teaser above, I have been mulling over the best way to go about this series. I started it off today with the first two parts.
The first is an introduction to Jar'Kai (Dual wield) Saber spinning. In it I cover blade length, weight and balance; practice habits, including feedback; basic theory; and other tips for learning.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8jbxoTiTI4
The second deals with the directional building blocks of Jar'Kai (dual wield) moves, discussing the direction and timing of one saber relative to the other using simple single spins.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMnjo4tWV6c
As an added bit of content because it is relevant, here are a couple videos of some Jar'Kai freestyling I was doing at an event. Everything in them will be covered in the series.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDzvDXS6xSM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4R1E0Bde3Ic
Watch the playlist for the other parts as I am able to put them together and feel free to comment or ask questions.

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 10:13:45 PM »
I think I am the only person to have ever posted vids on how to actually fight with dual sabers. Yes, spinning is cool and all that, but let's not ignore the combat aspect and advantages with dual wielding. I have always preferred a shoto and then a full size saber for Jar Kai...the shoto is your speed and setup weapon and the full size one is your power blade.

Are you going to post anything on that?

Nice spins, BTW.

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 05:09:37 PM »
I think I am the only person to have ever posted vids on how to actually fight with dual sabers. Yes, spinning is cool and all that, but let's not ignore the combat aspect and advantages with dual wielding. I have always preferred a shoto and then a full size saber for Jar Kai...the shoto is your speed and setup weapon and the full size one is your power blade.

Nice spins, BTW.

I would be out of my depth were I to try. I give all due credit to those like yourself who have dedicated themselves to martial arts, but that is not where I am coming from with these tutorials. My combat training is fencing with only a tiny bit of karate a long time ago. While I have tried out Florentine, which operates much as you describe, I do not incorporate any of that into my spinning style as there are really no spins in it. My approach to spinning is as a non-martial performance art akin to juggling, dance, or poi. It is my belief that spins can, with time and effort, transcend the realm of "just messing around" and be developed into their own discipline. I plan to leave combat tutorials to those better equipped to make them, so I will be unlikely to deal with attack or defense in any way. I am interested in seeing yours though. Are they on your youtube channel?

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 02:32:25 PM »

Nice spins, BTW.

I would be out of my depth were I to try. I give all due credit to those like yourself who have dedicated themselves to martial arts, but that is not where I am coming from with these tutorials. My combat training is fencing with only a tiny bit of karate a long time ago. While I have tried out Florentine, which operates much as you describe, I do not incorporate any of that into my spinning style as there are really no spins in it. My approach to spinning is as a non-martial performance art akin to juggling, dance, or poi. It is my belief that spins can, with time and effort, transcend the realm of "just messing around" and be developed into their own discipline. I plan to leave combat tutorials to those better equipped to make them, so I will be unlikely to deal with attack or defense in any way. I am interested in seeing yours though. Are they on your youtube channel?

No sir, I am 100% retired from all things saber combat. I deleted my channel, too. I am just burnt out to the point of no return of trying to convince people that hard work and determination is going to make them good at sabers when the general masses don't want to put the time in by learning real martial arts techniques. Maybe 3/10 would actually do what it took while the other 7 would just goof around and hit their blades together with some basic figure eights.

When I first started in 2008, there were barely a handful of tutorials on YouTube. Nowadays, it's very saturated. Although I pioneered many an aspect, by today's standards I would just be "another one" in the mix.

Good luck with what you are doing, though.

Offline Darth Cephalus

• Force User
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 03:32:43 PM »
Fair enough. Too bad about the videos though, I should have liked to see them. Though Martial arts is not what I do with sabers, it is an area of interest. I wouldn't get too discouraged though if I were you. Lightsaber fans are a diverse group, so just realize that you were dealing with a subculture of a subculture. People use sabers for a lot of different things. To some they are a costume accessory, to some craftsman works of art, to some a toy or roleplay prop, to some a piece of performance equipment, and to some a weapon or practice weapon. When they first get here, many don't know exactly what it is to them yet until they have a chance to feel out the options. For the most part, I think people who have the discipline and dedication to become serious martial artists, come to it through other avenues and just translate that passion to lightsabers; if you were finding 3 in 10 wanderers who were turned on to martial arts through LED sabers, I dare say that is a record that should bring you pride in your retirement.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 03:37:15 PM by Darth Cephalus »

retrousse