fiduciary

Author Topic: Neopixel and String Blades Explained and Light Meter Tested  (Read 6733 times)

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
Re: Neopixel and String Blades Explained and Light Meter Tested
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 02:39:00 PM »
Very cool.
However, comparing LUX numbers from different colors is not very fair. (Generally, green and white colors would have an advantage.) I would suggest sorting the list by color. It's not perfect, as two different blue colors can register VERY differently on the lux meter, but I think it would be better.

The reason for this is that LUX and lumens are weighted so that wavelengths that register as brighter get a higher weight. It's tempting to try to get rid of this weighting, but then ultraviolet, infra-read and other invisible wavelengths would count, which isn't great either.

There is no accepted standard way of answering questions like "is this green color brighter than this blue color". Measuring and comparing the LUX values isn't exactly wrong, but it can easily be misinterpreted by people who don't understand how LUX works.

Offline Meatsweats

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 02:47:04 PM »
Thanks for posting your results Space. Much appreciated!

Offline EXAR KUN

• SITH/EMPIRE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as SpaceWindu
    • My YouTube channel: youtube.com/spacewindu
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 05:19:16 PM »
Very cool.
However, comparing LUX numbers from different colors is not very fair. (Generally, green and white colors would have an advantage.) I would suggest sorting the list by color. It's not perfect, as two different blue colors can register VERY differently on the lux meter, but I think it would be better.

The reason for this is that LUX and lumens are weighted so that wavelengths that register as brighter get a higher weight. It's tempting to try to get rid of this weighting, but then ultraviolet, infra-read and other invisible wavelengths would count, which isn't great either.

There is no accepted standard way of answering questions like "is this green color brighter than this blue color". Measuring and comparing the LUX values isn't exactly wrong, but it can easily be misinterpreted by people who don't understand how LUX works.

Agreed. Although holding back the info isn't the answer, perhaps there's a better way to help deceminate the information. I think a better list is in order; perhaps one that has more info on the LEDs used and the sources, plus the power rating and the settings of the lightsaber. It is true that this is a complicated subject and it can go pretty deep,... especially when considering all the options out there, the small amount that is tested here, and the color choice of the user. (and of course the user's knowledge of the science of light)

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2017, 01:22:43 AM »
Thank you so much for that extensive work sw!

retrousse