fiduciary

Author Topic: Novastar and Caine's Saber Combat System "NCSCS" (1st COMPLETE System!)  (Read 61855 times)

Offline Kental

• No Force
Re: Novastar and Caine's Staged Combat System (1st Complete System!)
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2011, 03:24:28 AM »
Sounds kewl, looks like amazon has it for 750 and free shipping!

the camera is capable of recording at 1920x1080 resolution in 60 PROGRESSIVE frames per second and has a nice 35mm wide-angle len so it looks like we may be getting a whole new level of production from y'all.  Can't wait to see the results of your next project filmed with it.

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2011, 01:58:55 PM »
We had a GREAT day of filming yesterday (until my SD card ran out of room, lol) and got some great stuff done. I am now in talks with a graphic designer friend of mine in designing the DVD cover art.

So now things are once again rolling.  ;)

Offline Lucien Kane

• Master Force User
    • youtube channel
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2011, 04:10:25 PM »
To quote Obi Wan, That's good news.
\"A lightsaber - any weapon - only achieves worth in how it is wielded - in the effort, the struggle of one who holds it.

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • NCSCS - Sabercombat.com
    • DIAMOND DRAGONS: Humans stand, heroes fall--but DRAGONS are *Forever*...
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2011, 04:57:51 PM »
We had a GREAT day of filming yesterday (until my SD card ran out of room, lol) and got some great stuff done. I am now in talks with a graphic designer friend of mine in designing the DVD cover art.

So now things are once again rolling.  ;)
Arg, that reminds me... I needz to bringz some extras SD cards for you... although... hmm, I wonder how big do they have to be?

This digital video thing is new to me.  I mean I'm so used to mini-DV tapes, it doesn't always "stay in my head" as to how much physical HDD space raw video can take up... but I know it takes *A LOT*.

ESPECIALLY if we go HD / hi-qual.  I mean Christ on a unicycle... 1920 x 1080 must eat a *THRONG* of space per minute of video!!!!  O.O

Filming WAS pretty dope though... :)  Now on to more exciting (and complicated) forms & stuff...
* Former creator and owner of SaberCombat
* CUSTOM SOUND FONT LIST --->
Click here for Nova's 100+ custom sound fonts!
* PERFORMANCE HIGHLIGHTS ---> Click here for Nova's saber performance work...
* DIAMOND DRAGONS ---> Diamond Dragons: A feature-length screenplay being developed by Matthew 'Novastar' Carauddo

I don't post often on forums anymore.  If you want to e-mail me: novastar1138@gmail.com, or visit me on Facebook:

Click here.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2011, 06:04:30 AM »
More exciting and complicated forms...wow this is gonna be EPIC... ;D
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline MaleficusForte

• Force User
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2011, 06:27:11 AM »
Novastar should do a free style ataru form demonstration 720 spins, front flips, and back flips. aerials and other acrobatic feats while swinging the lightsaber. Maybe even imitate Yoda's choreography from AOTC, that would pretty cool.

I've been trying to imitate the Yoda fight choreography, but havent really found a place where I could do it. My martial arts school's ceiling isnt that high up - its only as a high as official NBA basketball rim (I would know, cuz I can jump that high even though im only 5'6" :'( ) and Im afraid of flipping and swinging and my saber hitting the ceiling.

If I do manage to find a place and record it decently, Ill share it with everyone. But I still want to see Novastar do it, since he seems to have more resources (based of the acrobatic vids I see him in) and Im sure he can because he is acrobatic enough to do that 720 Street Fighter Ryu/ Ken spin kick and a bunch of basic front/back flips.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 06:29:58 AM by MaleficusForte »

Offline Darth Xusia

• Master Force User
  • "quit cher whinin' and just build some sabers"
« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2011, 06:56:18 AM »
Novastar should do a free style ataru form demonstration 720 spins, front flips, and back flips. aerials and other acrobatic feats while swinging the lightsaber. Maybe even imitate Yoda's choreography from AOTC, that would pretty cool.

I've been trying to imitate the Yoda fight choreography, but havent really found a place where I could do it. My martial arts school's ceiling isnt that high up - its only as a high as official NBA basketball rim (I would know, cuz I can jump that high even though im only 5'6" :'( ) and Im afraid of flipping and swinging and my saber hitting the ceiling.

If I do manage to find a place and record it decently, Ill share it with everyone. But I still want to see Novastar do it, since he seems to have more resources (based of the acrobatic vids I see him in) and Im sure he can because he is acrobatic enough to do that 720 Street Fighter Ryu/ Ken spin kick and a bunch of basic front/back flips.

And, he should wear a Yoda mask while doing it, saying things like
"Away with your weapon, I mean you no harm" ;)
Thank you Photobucket for the best Sig ever!

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2011, 01:46:41 PM »
Novastar should do a free style ataru form demonstration 720 spins, front flips, and back flips. aerials and other acrobatic feats ... ... .... ..
Well... I'm getting PRETTY darn old for doing a lot of the flips and spins, but... it HAS been planned by Caine and I from as far back as January 2010 (not 2011, mind you) to do a more acrobatic form.  :)

I won't spoil too much, but I think it is sufficient to say:

* The acrobatic form is primarily defensive / evasive
* It's definitely more for staged combat vs. "reality moves", since flips and spins IN THE AIR are extremely impractical--for the mostpart--in sparring / combat.  Although spin hook (which remains on the ground) is a bread and butter move of sport TKD... and can be DEVASTATING for certain.  I've even seen Kim Do (look him up for those who aren't into MA) do a forward flip kick to knock out/down his opponent.  The technique is basically called a "loser" (as opposed to a "gainer") with a kick.
* The paired forms require extremely precise timing... and the attacker helps to maintain the highest level of safety while the defender performs most of their techniques.

Remember too: this paired form is meant to be done LIVE... so we'll be demonstrating it from point A to Z with no stops.  :)

Still... this form is a long ways away... probably for DVD3 is my guess.  And it stands to reason that people will need competency in some basic "tricking" or jumping moves (such as b-kick, b-twist, flash kick, aerial, pop cres, etc.) to make things work.  So--the form is somewhat prohibitive unless replacement moves that "get the same job done" can be swapped in.  Which I've accounted for in most places... but... obviously, flips & spins are more impressive.  :)
* DIAMOND DRAGONS ---> Diamond Dragons: A feature-length screenplay being developed by Matthew 'Novastar' Carauddo

I don't post often on forums anymore.  If you want to e-mail me: novastar1138@gmail.com, or visit me on Facebook:

Click here.

Offline MaleficusForte

• Force User
« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2011, 09:05:39 PM »
why are all you coolcats in CA, its not even just particular to the saber community, but in general overall. A bunch of celebrities live there. A bunch of the youtube famous cam bloggers are there.

Offline gchu149

• Master Force User
  • Now we are cosmic friends forever, ok?
« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2011, 10:53:24 PM »
why are all you coolcats in CA, its not even just particular to the saber community, but in general overall. A bunch of celebrities live there. A bunch of the youtube famous cam bloggers are there.

;D
Though it's not like we ever see anybody famous and meeting up with saberfolk is actually rather rare (unfortunately, everyone's always so busy).

At least the weather's nice.
de CF
Click the link to view my collection at the very bottom of the page:
http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=20080.msg330140#msg330140

Offline Lucien Kane

• Master Force User
    • youtube channel
« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2011, 11:17:11 PM »
Novastar should do a free style ataru form demonstration 720 spins, front flips, and back flips. aerials and other acrobatic feats ... ... .... ..
Well... I'm getting PRETTY darn old for doing a lot of the flips and spins, but... it HAS been planned by Caine and I from as far back as January 2010 (not 2011, mind you) to do a more acrobatic form.  :)

I won't spoil too much, but I think it is sufficient to say:

* The acrobatic form is primarily defensive / evasive
* It's definitely more for staged combat vs. "reality moves", since flips and spins IN THE AIR are extremely impractical--for the mostpart--in sparring / combat.  Although spin hook (which remains on the ground) is a bread and butter move of sport TKD... and can be DEVASTATING for certain.  I've even seen Kim Do (look him up for those who aren't into MA) do a forward flip kick to knock out/down his opponent.  The technique is basically called a "loser" (as opposed to a "gainer") with a kick.
* The paired forms require extremely precise timing... and the attacker helps to maintain the highest level of safety while the defender performs most of their techniques.

Remember too: this paired form is meant to be done LIVE... so we'll be demonstrating it from point A to Z with no stops.  :)

Still... this form is a long ways away... probably for DVD3 is my guess.  And it stands to reason that people will need competency in some basic "tricking" or jumping moves (such as b-kick, b-twist, flash kick, aerial, pop cres, etc.) to make things work.  So--the form is somewhat prohibitive unless replacement moves that "get the same job done" can be swapped in.  Which I've accounted for in most places... but... obviously, flips & spins are more impressive.  :)

I want to learn acrobatics....
\"A lightsaber - any weapon - only achieves worth in how it is wielded - in the effort, the struggle of one who holds it.

Offline MaleficusForte

• Force User
« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2011, 02:00:22 AM »

I want to learn acrobatics....

Anyone can learn acrobatics, it just requires determination, willpower and practice. A good role model to compare yourself and compete with is also helps a lot. I started TKD about 5 years ago. Im a black belt now, but 5 years ago when I was a white belt, there were plenty of really talented black belts who did awesome acrobatics. I was in awe, but I didnt simply wished my body could do that. After class, I would spend more than an hour bruising my body just to be able to flip and move like them. By the time I was a yellow belt, I  was able to do 360 spin kicks as fast as the black belts. By the time I was a green belt, I was probably one of the fastest fighters. Fast forward to the current black belt me. I can do a 900 spin, 5 feet vertical leap without a spring(legs bent not straight 90 degrees perpendicular to the floor), 12-15 feet leap distance(again without a spring), and can do multiple blindingly quick kicks at head height. Not only that, having a goal allows you to improve. Because I'm short, 5'6 at 19 years old, I gave myself the goal to be the fastest. A lot of people, wherever I go, underestimate me because of my height when I spar, which they soon regret when they realize that all their power is useless if they cant hit me.

I'm in no way trying to brag about what I am capable of, Im just trying to convey that athletic feats(although having an athletic body helps) in my opinion is obtainable with the proper mind set, because I think that even if you're body is not athletic, you will eventually be able to be acrobatic through endless practice because slowly, without you realizing, you are developing the necessary muscles to perform the technique. Just as an infant that cant walk because of weak legs and lack of balance will eventually be able to walk as it continues to get up from falling and learning how to balance and slowly develop its leg muscles.

Acrobatics isnt easy, like I said it requires mental focus and determination and a willingness to injure your body :-\ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja_TQizb9sc
Also, although you have to go past your limits to improve, you also have to know when to stop because it will all be useless if you break your body to the point of never being able to attempt anything again.

Since Kim Do was mentioned, his stuff is cool. I also like Steve Terada's movements. I dont know if he is a fighter though, but he is most definitely a top notch crowd performer.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 02:30:15 AM by MaleficusForte »

Offline Lucien Kane

• Master Force User
    • youtube channel
« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2011, 10:07:22 AM »
I can do a few things. Handsprings cartwheels the diving combat roll. I can jump high, I just don't understand the mechanics of some of the more advanced techniques. I have someone who is supposed to start teaching me, unfortunately business is a factor in this. I work on what I know consistently. I just need to have someone physically show me the other things. I'd like to learn Parkour but I don't even know where one of their gyms are.

Offline Novastar

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2011, 02:31:19 AM »
These days, online tutorials can help bridge the gap between what you can and cannot do... but are willing to RESEARCH, TRAIN, STUDY and PREPARE yourself for.

I don't want to "over de-rail" this topic, but I'll just say--I recommend (for a SINGULAR example out of many)... "Epic"'s tutorials (Kyle Mendoza)... for both tricking and free-running actions.

Also--just to help perpetuate general clarity of terminology on physical arts here:

* Parkour is the art of traversing paths & obstacles in the most efficient way (it was actually present in the world as early as the 1920's)
* Free-running is the art of SELF-EXPRESSION via traversing paths & obstacles in any way the practitioner sees fit.  It often includes acrobatic motions that would otherwise be deemed "superfluous" or inefficient when looking at things from a Parkour mindset.  In my own research, it is ambiguous as to where the TRUE "first" free-running concepts originated.  Although I have my opinions...

Also in my opinion and interpretation: Free-running is to Tricking as Parkour is to "real-time" combat martial arts.

Anyhow.  This thread is about the combat DVDs, so I'd best refrain from de-railing so much!!  But still... I hold enough appreciation for all the arts mentioned here... that I want anyone who is reading the thread to have a general understanding of the differences they see out there.  Especially because I often see people:

* Confusing parkour with free-running... or "interchangeably" making the two "one"--which is incorrect.
* Bashing one over the other... sometimes because they are indeed ignorant of the differences.
* Confusing Tricking with being all about techniques to punch or kick someone "in a real fight".  Which is--of course--a stupid argument from the beginning... but it shows ignorance when people watch (for example) a HyperHook and then say "That's lame, you could never hit me with that."

Alright.  Enough of shouting from the soap box... :_

Click here.

Offline MaleficusForte

• Force User
« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2011, 03:31:11 AM »

* Confusing Tricking with being all about techniques to punch or kick someone "in a real fight".  Which is--of course--a stupid argument from the beginning... but it shows ignorance when people watch (for example) a HyperHook and then say "That's lame, you could never hit me with that."

That annoys me as well when people say things like that. Youtube is flooded with comments like that. Although people think "Something like that can never hit me", 9x out of 10 if someone swung a bat really really telegraphically, they'll still be hit with it (which I think is the same thing really as being hit with any sort of trick). Not to mention, people who say that probably don't have martial arts training at all anyway.

But yea back on to the topic of "Novastar and Caine's Staged Combat System (1st Complete System!)"

retrousse