fiduciary

Author Topic: Sonic Screwdriver Number One  (Read 2053 times)

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
Sonic Screwdriver Number One
« on: August 15, 2017, 05:20:40 AM »
So, this is what I've been doing since my Katarn build has been on hiatus.

Features:

Plecter Labs Sonic Screwdriver V1
14650 from JQ Sabers
Veco 20mm Speaker (also from JQ)
3d printed parts
Custom Saltwater etched grip
Anodised emmiter bit (E3D v5 3d printing nozzle)
x1 Cree high brightness 5mm LED (nicked from my Katarn string blade)
drill press turned acrylic rod

I'd post some of the build pictures, but Photobucket happened, *grumble grumble grumble.*

All in all, a fun build. Tried out saltwater etching and drill press turning for the first time, and it turned out pretty great. I'm going to swap out the speaker down the road, though. That 20mm Veco is a bit too loud. Also, I regret being cheap and seizing one of the 14650s JQ were knocking down to £3.50, because that battery is taking up far too much real estate in the grip. Definitely using a 10440 next time.

The sonic board is another awesome little bit of kit. It's so small I accidentally soldered the negative pad and a speaker pad together first time around :tongue:. Also, for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to activate the intense hum mode, but that's a me problem.

Also, if anyone else is tempted to use one of those E3D printer nozzles as a found prop in their builds (and why not, with a little modification, it's a near perfect pre-made crystal chamber) be aware that they're coated in a thin film of teflon, which needs to be removed before you can do much to the bare aluminium underneath. (And that includes drilling. even with my hole locations center punched out before hand, the drill bits were skipping the divot and skidding over the teflon. right pain right there.) I did this by blasting it with a heat gun, then flash cooling it in water, and carefully wet sanding with 400 grit paper. Given the shape of it, with all the nooks and crannies, that took about four long painful hours.

So yeah. I've ordered a few more boards and I hope to get a few more custom sonics built up before long.
Better late than never.

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
Re: Sonic Screwdriver Number One
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 03:25:26 PM »
Hey, that's great, dude!  AND +10 point for the comically loud sonic. :cheesy: Mine are loud, but I'm only using a 13mm speaker; definitely not as deep as yours - good show!

To get the secondary hum, you have to hold it at the canted orientation before you engage the aux button.  Depending on if you have the board facing fore or aft, it will be either a 90 degree cant to the left or right.

Cool design too, keep it up!

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 03:03:34 AM »
Thanks man! and double thanks for unlocking the mystery of the intense hum.

Well, it should be loud, it is a SONIC screwdriver, after all  :cool: But yeah, as it stands, it's far too loud. I can deafen Daleks from halfway across the galaxy with that 20mm speaker. 0.25-0.5W speakers will do just fine in the future.
Better late than never.

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 02:51:42 AM »
really nice and SO happy to see more custom sonics !!  :azn:

retrousse