fiduciary

Author Topic: Korbanth MWIII (Mace Windu) with CF5, 10W purple, FoC  (Read 13143 times)

Offline Sol Nexus

• Experienced Force User
  • Well hello there.
    • Sol Nexus Facebook
Re: Korbanth MWIII (Mace Windu) with CF5, 10W purple, FoC
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 05:34:38 AM »
Nice install so far, can't wait to see it completed.  Kind of odd, and interesting on the button placement.  I take it the gold buttons are just for show, or am I wrong?  Either way, good job so far.
Light⋅sa⋅ber [Lahyt-sey-ber]
-noun
1.  When you absolutely, positively need to open a can of wampa juice.

Offline CHEWBACCA

• JEDI/ALLIANCE Master MODERATOR
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 09:10:12 AM »
Nice install so far, can't wait to see it completed.  Kind of odd, and interesting on the button placement.  I take it the gold buttons are just for show, or am I wrong?  Either way, good job so far.

I had a couple of people ask about the buttons.

Here are a couple of reasons to explain why I did it the way I did.

1. I like for things to look clean and not like a switch was just thrown in there to make the board work.
2. I like for things to be solid feeling, not loose or wobbly which "could" be the case with the gold buttons depending on how you do make them work.
3. I like to hold my sabers high toward the blade.  If I made the gold buttons the activation buttons then I would be hitting them all the time (the existing switches are recessed in the grip area and you have to push in to activate them).
4. While sometimes complex is cool often times the simplest solutions is the best.

I thought about how I could make the gold buttons the actual buttons and here are some ideas since some may want to try it.

I thought about cutting one of the buttons short (or at least the underside) and put a small slide switch under it.  This would violate my #1 and possibly #2 because when you slide the switch you would see the tubing under it and it might be fragile because of the way you would have to design it.

I thought about putting a tactile under it and trimming the bottom.  This would probably work pretty good but may violate #2 but with enough planning and a good design it could be solid feeling.

I thought about putting a tactile under them and putting a small plunger in the gold buttons (drill a small hole and put the plunger in it) but this would violate #1.  It would not look bad if done right but it would still not be the same as it is.

And of course I thought about making a touch sensitive button but that would no doubt violate #3

Matter of fact all would violate #3 except for putting a small plunger in the buttons because I could recess it.

Did I say violate in this post enough  ;D

Now as I have said many times.  My way is not the only way.  There are a lot of ways it could be done (I listed some but there are probably many others) and I hope others do them differently because I like seeing how other people handle things.

I just like things to be hidden as much as possible for a clean look.

Offline Vektor

• Master Force User
  • That other Finnish guy
    • My Elegant Weapons
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 11:10:27 AM »
That is actually very helpful and something we don't get to read here enough: a background story of something complex which has obviously been planned thorough. I know this will help at least me when I'm starting to think about the switch placement in my MW3!

Oh, and very nice conversion too, MH! Congrats!

Offline okiwan

• Buzz Killington award!
  • Master Force User
  • do or do not. there is no try.
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 09:53:14 PM »
nice! your puttin allot of $$$ into that!
/sarcasm

Offline Darth Inferis

• Master Force User
  • UK sabersmith
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 10:45:42 PM »
Something tells me the Shatterpoint soundfont just found it's ideal home.  :o
What I find most impressive is that it's arguably about half way done & already it's amazing!
First rate work as always MH.  :)
Beware the Mark of the Gungan! :o

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 07:37:23 AM »
Yeah I will most likely use shatterpoint though I am not sure because the hum on shatterpoint is low and with the tiny speaker it may be too low.  I may see if someone can make it a little louder or something.  Dont get me wrong I love the font and it sounds great in most builds with a standard speaker but with a lower volume saber like this I am not sure it will be loud enough.

Offline Darth Xusia

• Master Force User
  • "quit cher whinin' and just build some sabers"
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 07:44:08 AM »
I have a version with a louder hum. PM me.
Thank you Photobucket for the best Sig ever!

Offline Lord Bane

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • LB CUSTOM SABERS
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2011, 07:37:22 AM »
It's coming along nicely MH. Good job as always.

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2011, 08:33:57 AM »
Update

I talked to my plating company Friday looking for the quote for the work I need done and inquiring on some other stuff they have of mine.  They are covered up with motorcycle parts because of a big show coming up and said it would be 4 weeks until they could get to my parts  :-[

Oh well the wait will be worth it at least. 

Offline ANAKIN SKYWALKER

• Manufacturer VIP
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known as Alex Gordon
    • Evolution Arms
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2011, 02:00:15 PM »
sorry i'm late to the party, but man, that is one awesome conversion, you've outdone yourself MH... 

Offline LoganV

• Force User
  • I am a banana.
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2011, 10:00:59 PM »
Proper mace. Cool. :]
Proud owner of Avalon by Vader's Vault.

Offline Red Five

• Master Force User
  • "My daddy can whoop your daddy!" -Luke Skywalker
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2011, 04:51:21 PM »
Update

I talked to my plating company Friday looking for the quote for the work I need done and inquiring on some other stuff they have of mine.  They are covered up with motorcycle parts because of a big show coming up and said it would be 4 weeks until they could get to my parts  :-[

Any updates with the plating?
I have a Mace myself and am contemplating either plating it or just selling it...the off color is just too ugly to keep it that way.

Offline CHEWBACCA

• Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MH
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2011, 07:15:21 PM »
Update

Any updates with the plating?
I have a Mace myself and am contemplating either plating it or just selling it...the off color is just too ugly to keep it that way.

My plating company has not been returning my emails.  They got very busy with a bike show that was coming up.  I waited until that was over and contact them again.  They are not interested in my business anymore I guess.

I am in search of another company.  I may just say forget it, strip the anodizing, polish it and PC it trans gold myself.

Offline LUMINARA UNDULI

• Master of the purple blade
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly Known As Allaerra
    • Vader's Vault
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2011, 07:22:20 PM »
That stinks :'(.  I was really looking forward to seeing the results.

Facebook: VVFB

Offline Gil Gamesh

• Formerly known as Kit Fisto
  • Master Force User
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2011, 07:23:28 PM »
*echos Luminara*

What happened to these big companies, ya know?  I mean, they had to have started off small, and if nobody did anything small for them they wouldn't be anywhere.  Now it's to the point they can pick and choose what they want to make money off of :(  Sorry for that turn of events MH
Support our Font Makers!

retrousse