fiduciary

Author Topic: Destrius' Obi Wan Kenobi FX review (coming shortly)  (Read 6394 times)

Offline destrius

• Experienced Force User
  • Um...Hello?
Destrius' Obi Wan Kenobi FX review (coming shortly)
« on: March 10, 2007, 01:22:38 PM »
I received my Obi Wan a few days ago, but haven't gotten around to writing the review yet because Ive been busy playing with it. Today I will post a good review here (even though there are a ton already) when its written and I get pics. I will might do a Obi Wan vs Vader ESB review tonight if I have the time. So, I will edit this main post when I have my review finished (tonight).

By the way, the obi wan is amazing!
EEEE[]#>//==================
       ''''''

Offline Ulic Qel-Droma

• Experienced Force User
Re: Destrius' Obi Wan Kenobi FX review (coming shortly)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 01:26:21 PM »
Glad you like it Destrius, I eagerly await your review.

Offline Kyp Durron

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 02:28:11 PM »
It is so far the brightest FX that MR has made to date to be sure, and in a few more weeks when the Yoda comes out, we will see if the improved blade quality has been continued or not.  8)

-Joclad

2010...I certainly hope it's better than 2009 was! ::)
10/10/10~Well, so far with my Father's passing away, I'd say that this year was actually worse than 2009, even the fact that I now have a full time job (For now) isn't anywhere near enough to make up for that...so...maybe 2011 will be better? I'm not holding my breath... ::)

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 04:39:22 PM »
 ;)Congrats destrius on your obi-wan saber!!I'll look forward for your review!! :)

Offline destrius

• Experienced Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 08:52:04 PM »
Thanks.

Sorry couldn't get my review up tonight but some stuff came up and I didn't have the time, but Ive got all my pics. Ill have it done tomorrow.  :)
       ''''''

Offline Kyp Durron

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 07:20:43 AM »
Umm...it's now tomorrow +7 days.  ::) ;D  :P

-Joclad

2010...I certainly hope it's better than 2009 was! ::)
10/10/10~Well, so far with my Father's passing away, I'd say that this year was actually worse than 2009, even the fact that I now have a full time job (For now) isn't anywhere near enough to make up for that...so...maybe 2011 will be better? I'm not holding my breath... ::)

Offline DarthArn

• Master Force User
  • They'll do their job. I guarantee that...
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 08:03:42 AM »
Your review is on the Archives forum.......

-Jango

- Custom Saber Shop Luxeon
-UltraFX Luxeon

Offline Jedi Knight Logan

• MASTER OF THE HURRICANE FLURRY
  • Master Force User
  • "Have lightsaber, will travel....."
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 12:02:29 PM »
The Obi-Wan is my favaorite saber to date. I like it so much I commisioned an Ultrasabers version of it! Being a practicioner of Iaido, this saber feels the most like an actual sword to me. It helps mind you that Obi-Wan Kenobi is my favorite jedi - :)

"A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack..."

Offline destrius

• Experienced Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 01:59:28 PM »
Ahh sorry I havent been able to post the review! It really was ready when I said it was, but my computer was being weird and hasn't been loading some pages right for the past week. I couldnt post it here... so I posted it on the archives... hang on ill get it now..
       ''''''

Offline destrius

• Experienced Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 02:07:03 PM »
Hello! And welcome to my review of the Obi Wan Kenobi ROTS FX lightsaber! Lets go ahead and begin:

THE BOX

The Box has changed slightly from the previous box designs and, although the box does not matter that much, it looks much nicer. The "Star Wars" logo is now a very attractive Silver/Blue. The Box features a picture of Obi Wan (for the particular saber) which really adds to the quality outlook of the box.

Most other things on the box are the same as previous boxes, including the information on "Realistic metal hilt" and "bright glowing blade". On major difference is a small area of info on obi wan found on the back. It quotes:

Since the onset of the Clone Wars, General Obi-Wan Kenobi has fought many exciting battles in the ongoing war against the Separatists.

After tracking the droid army commander, General Grevious, to the sinkhole planet of Utapau, Obi-Wan destroys him in hope of ending the war. But evil forces have gathered and a shocking betrayal by his closest friend and Padawan has devastating repercussions for Obi-Wan, the Jedi Order and the Galaxy itself...

Now, armed with this incredible Force Fx replica lightsaber of this most famous and revered Jedi Knight, you can not only recreate the countless battles of General Obi-Wan Kenobi, but create your very own.

A final look at the box:

THE HILT

Overall, the Obi-Wan hilt is very beautiful and full metal(aside from one button). Because it is made of nearly all metal, it has got quite a bit of weight to it. It is defiantly heaver than the Vader ESB.  When you first pick it up, it is very cold, and does not feel cheap at all. I will go into more detail on each section:

The Emitter

The emitter is a basic silver metal, but has an interesting detail that makes it quite elegant. It starts wide at the top, and becomes slightly smaller each "step" in the metal. These "steps" are not evenly spaced, but look nice, like the Luke ROTJ. Below the emitter one can find a copper colored space, then it widens out to a much lager gold section. This part of the saber had to be enlarged in order to accommodate for the electronics, so the saber looses its original "sculpture" look, but is still quite nice.

Now, the detail that makes the emitter of the obi-wan stand out are the cool circular indentions surrounding the blade on top of the emitter. These look awesome when the saber is lit. The light seems to "fill" them when on.

The Grenade Grip

The Grenade Grip is the midsection of the obi wan, named for its grenade looking grip. From the pictures, it looks plastic but it is ALL metal. It feels quite nice too. I will go into detail on handling later.

The Ignition Area

The area where the Ignition box is located is covered in silver plating. Two small details can be found on the side, one being a copper "bump" and the other a silver like knob which is not meant to be movable.

The Ignition box itself is raised from the saber. The switch appears as a sliding golden circuit, which looks very nice. Unfortunately, due to its location, it is hard to turn on when holding the saber with one hand. Also, the fact the it provides no grip, such as a bubble strip, makes it more of a challenge to slid. However, it is meant to be more of a piece of beauty.

The Pommel

The Pommel is silver, and when removed for battery replacement, you can see it is quite a chunk of metal. It features evenly spaced raised box areas that add to its appeal. Above the pommel is a black area with vertical grips (lack of a better term, as you don't actually grip there). On this area is a raised black button that spins with a silver screw in the center.

On the butt of the saber is the speaker, and around the edge is printed:

c 2006 Master Replicas, Inc.
c 2006 Lucasfilm Ltd.

The Battery Holder

The 3 AA batteries required are inserted in the carrier in the pommel. After unscrewing the pommel end-cap, you can remove it. The speaker is in the bottom of the batter holder, but not the soundcard. When the battery holder is inserted, it protrudes slightly. This is normal, and will fit when the end cap is put back on.

And one final look at the hilt:

THE SOUND

The sound on the obi-wan is great. I believe it has the same sounds as previous jedi sabers, only slightly modified. The powerup is a normal, soft saber ignition. The idle hum sounds quite neutral and serene. You can hear a familiar saber sound quite audibly, and you can also hear an underlying "mystical" wirr hum behind it, giving it a jedi feel. The four clash sounds are great. You have a sizzle, a blaster-deflect sound, a "pop" sizzle, and a crackling lock sound. The motion sounds are great as well. They really seem to fit your movements, credit the motion sensor. The motion sounds include a short movement, a longer, and a double swing. The power down is a shorter hiss than the sith blades.

HANDLING

The saber handles extremely well as a dueling saber. The ignition box is located well down the hilt, so there is plenty of gripping room. The grenade grip is a comfortable area to hold, but if fighting one handed and need more control, you can find comfort gripping the golden/copper area. The weight of the saber is not a handicap at all. It is also hard to accidentally turn your saber off when dueling, which is good. There is only one minor problem with handling, and that is that you must move your hand into extremely awkward positions to power up the saber single handed, unless you have super flexible hands.

THE BLADE

The polycarbonate blade is extremely sturdy and well attached to the hilt. The tip is slightly more pointed than the previous sabers, but it is hardly noticeable. The tube can take simple blows, though its not good for the LEDs to bang the heck out of it. Enough to register the clash sounds is as far as you should go if your care for your obi wan.

Now, for the blade powered up. When on, the saber shines with a beautiful, full blue. It is quite bright, and is very impressive at night. In basic room light, it maintains a blue color, but does not glow like it does at night. The blade is bright enough to hurt your eyes by staring at it. The aura it gives off at night makes you feel like you really are a jedi!

The blade of my obi wan is almost perfectly even. There are virtually no dark spots, but sometimes you can get unlucky and get an even blade. Thought for the most part, I think the Obi Wan blades have been improved to provide a much better, even lighted blade.

OVERALL

The Obi Wan is an amazing lightsaber. I love it dearly. It excels in all areas and has few flaws, aside from the fat neck. I can easily recommend this saber to anyone, even those who already have anakins. The hilt itself is enough to make one envious.

I hope you enjoyed my Obi Wan Kenobi ROTS FX review! It is a great saber!

My the force be with you always!

''''''

Offline Jedi Knight Logan

• MASTER OF THE HURRICANE FLURRY
  • Master Force User
  • "Have lightsaber, will travel....."
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 02:13:37 PM »
Great review Destilus! I hope you get much enjoyment out of this wonderful saber! :)

"A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, never for attack..."

retrousse