fiduciary

Author Topic: Help!! NBv4 boot sound and nothing else  (Read 1347 times)

Offline welshm85

• No Force
  • So what I told you was true, from a certain point.
Help!! NBv4 boot sound and nothing else
« on: January 08, 2018, 11:36:30 PM »
So my NBv4 is making the boot sound when i remove the kill key but when I try to fire it up it the led turns on for a split second and shuts itself off and the boot sound goes again.
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Offline erv

• Plecter Labs Inc. "Keeper of the Buttered Toast"
  • Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as Irvin PLECTER
    • Plecter Labs - Props Electronics
Re: Help!! NBv4 boot sound and nothing else
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 11:54:36 PM »
low battery / incorrect resistor on the led

Offline welshm85

• No Force
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 07:56:34 AM »
RRW tri cree, Pulled everything a part after the (FOC) white resistor which was wired to L2 pad, started smoking. After removing the resistor which I've been told isn't necessary since it will be on for a limited amount of time. Rewired every thing and the above problem started happening. I rewired everything 3 times. trying to figure it out. NBv4 problem - Album on Imgur   
You're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 08:07:52 AM »
As indicated above, no resistor is the source of your issue. Skipping the resistor for the suggested reason is stupid and fairly irrelevant.

Offline welshm85

• No Force
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 10:11:04 AM »
ERV for the win. Thanks!

The root cause ended up being a overheating resistor on my FOC positive wire. I removed it last night and tried to rewire it without it. That caused it not to work properly. This morning I rewired the resistor to the FOC positive. Again it started overheating and melting the heat shrink. I think I was using too big of resistor. I used all 1 ohm 2 watt resistors. Again going off of someone else's suggestion.

I completely removed the positive and negative wires from the tri-cree and and rewired everything without them. Works perfectly. even the slight crackling I was getting out of my speaker is gone.

Erv, Thanks again. I love this sound board!

Offline erv

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 10:16:52 AM »
Even if the Vf of the die should be measured, those 1 ohm / 2W values are "fine" and it should not be overheating as it's probably less than 1W dissipated in that resistor. The crackling was over current leading to voltage ripple on your battery (which is forwarded to the audio amp and speaker), sign that the wiring was probably not good indeed.
This indicates a short on the tri cree wiring IMO.

Offline welshm85

• No Force
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 10:26:52 AM »
I might go back and fix it someday. as of right now I'm just happy to have my saber back and operational. From what you are telling me it sounds like the short was on one of the FOC wires. I'll get another resistor and rewire maybe in a month or so. Thanks for your help and quick responses!

retrousse