fiduciary

Author Topic: Dual Primary Activation Switches? - Graflex 2.5 w/ Prizm v5.1 (First Build)  (Read 1927 times)

Offline TylerSD

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Hey everyone. I'm brand new to the community and saber building in general.  I'm starting my first build with a Graflex 2.5 kit with a Prizm v5.1, and I would love to have dual primary activation switches (as well as an auxiliary switch). I've seen others do this before and I love the idea since we see the saber activated both ways in the saga. I'm just wondering what the wiring would be if I had either switch able to activate/deactivate the saber. I'm thinking I would simply wire both switches the same. Wire both to the battery and same pad on the board, or would that not work? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
just wire them in parallel.  All the board is looking for is a closed circuit, it doesn't matter which switch closes the circuit.

Offline TylerSD

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Would this allow me to turn off the saber with the second switch after turning it on with the other? My thought is it wouldn't and I'd need a bit of a XOR operation. I know that's pretty nit picky but I just want to make sure. I'll still test everything outside the hilt anyway though.

EDIT: Actually, I'm probably overthinking this. They're momentary switches so they're only active for a second just to tell the board to go to whatever state it isn't currently at, correct?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 11:30:44 AM by TylerSD »

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
All your second blade switches do in this concept is cut power to the LEDs, the board will be ignorant of whether or not anything is powered.  You'll just need to make sure your current demands are within the operating parameters of your board.

Offline TylerSD

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
just wire them in parallel.  All the board is looking for is a closed circuit, it doesn't matter which switch closes the circuit.

Sorry to bring this back up, but I've finally begun to build the saber. From my understanding, wiring them in parallel would make it so if I activated the saber with say switch #1 then tried to turn the saber off with switch #2, nothing would happen because now both are closed. Is there a way to make either switch turn it on or off in any order?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 10:52:26 PM by TylerSD »

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
They should both be momentary switches.

Offline TylerSD

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
They should both be momentary switches.

Okay, just wanted to be sure. Thank you for all your help!

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
I look forward to seeing your completed work

Offline Darkjedi

• Master Force User
  • I love Star Wars so much ,I married her!
The same as dual light switches in a house. It's simple. Just more wiring and more things that can go wrong while troubleshooting.

But it would be interesting concept for "your" saber. :grin: keep those "new " chains of thoughts flowing.

Offline Greenie

• Force User
  • Pew pew!!

Sorry to bring this back up, but I've finally begun to build the saber. From my understanding, wiring them in parallel would make it so if I activated the saber with say switch #1 then tried to turn the saber off with switch #2, nothing would happen because now both are closed. Is there a way to make either switch turn it on or off in any order?

You have two wires connected to your momentary switch, when pressed it completes a circuit. Take two wires directly from the first mom switch to the second one. Now whichever switch you press will complete the circuit.

retrousse