fiduciary

Author Topic: Red Blade Questions  (Read 1132 times)

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
Red Blade Questions
« on: November 13, 2017, 11:48:37 AM »
I'm not really a padawan any more, but I've got two padawan-level questions about red blades, seeing as I haven't made a red saber yet. The plan is to go for a dedicated red with flash on clash, but I'm unsure of a few details:

1: Am I better off using a generic RGB LED or a getting a red, red + FoC tri-LED setup?

2: Is there a difference between red and deep red? Is it a colour and personal preference thing, or are there more technical reasons (different power requirements, etc)
Better late than never.

Offline jbkuma

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • Pixels, everywhere.
    • Mad Science Workshoppe
Re: Red Blade Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 12:51:06 PM »
Twice the LEDs isn't twice the apparent brightness since the perceived brightness is not linear, but 2xR is still brighter.  If you don't intend on using another color there isn't much of a reason to have it there just taking up space, not making things bright.  On the other hand, if you want red main color and white flash then an RGB can make that color while RR+G would give a flash in a range of orange-yellow-green, and RRB would give a pinkish-purple-blue flash.  RRW gives an option of having either combined or non-combined flash that would be white(ish).

The wavelength produced by a "deep red" is closer to infra red and further from other visible wavelengths.  It will be "deeper" but also not as perceive-ably bright.

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 02:46:37 PM »
Right, that's all I needed to know. Thanks, man!
Better late than never.

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 05:21:46 AM »
Twice the LEDs isn't twice the apparent brightness since the perceived brightness is not linear, but 2xR is still brighter.  If you don't intend on using another color there isn't much of a reason to have it there just taking up space, not making things bright.  On the other hand, if you want red main color and white flash then an RGB can make that color while RR+G would give a flash in a range of orange-yellow-green, and RRB would give a pinkish-purple-blue flash.  RRW gives an option of having either combined or non-combined flash that would be white(ish).

The wavelength produced by a "deep red" is closer to infra red and further from other visible wavelengths.  It will be "deeper" but also not as perceive-ably bright.

Good to know, you also helped me. I own a dRdRW waiting to be built in into my old Hasbro Vader hilt. NOw I know what to expect.

Talking about red blades I'm also convinced that Star LED is the only real good option. String blades come off too pinkish in red, neopixel is better in that respect, but Star LED is the purest option if you want a dedicated red blade. Unless you are Master Space Windu with his red string blades, but he is on a quite different level

retrousse