fiduciary

Author Topic: My first saber!  (Read 2923 times)

Offline Callyste

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
My first saber!
« on: March 24, 2017, 03:53:41 AM »
More accurately, the first saber I built - and I won't get to keep it, as it is a gift for my friend's birthday!
I'm actually surprised it works - and without a doubt it's in great part thanks to the people here on the forum who helped me and answered all my questions about building a Lightsaber, wiring, etc. So thank you all once again!

It's nothing fancy - the hilt parts are from TCSS, I'm not ready to machine hilt pieces just yet. Also worth noting: the grip is temporary (it was a test, I need to redo it cleanly). Please forgive the bad picture quality:

There's one big problem though: now I want to build more!

May the Force serve you well

UPDATE:
Changed the grip, added some kind of... herm... clamp? thingie separating the grip from the switch/emitter section, and added a metal bit on the emitter, reminiscent of the Graflex's bunny ears.

I have to admit I did a very shoddy job on the emitter to attach that tiny metal bit... but at least it's suitably fastened >.>
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 04:00:27 PM by Callyste »

Offline Obi_1

• Mining Colony Members
  • Experienced Force User
  • Creator of DIYino - first open source FX-board
Re: My first saber!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 04:06:38 AM »
I definitely like it, it has a clean design! Congratulation to have entered a big world of lightsaber building, warning, it's addictive!  :evil:
BTW, the pic quality is more than OK, no worries!

Offline Callyste

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 04:31:04 AM »
Thanks! A clean design is indeed what I was aiming for. I wanted an original design, but that would be somewhat reminiscent of the Graflex. I think my friend's gonna like it! ^^

And yeah, you're right: I already want to build more!

Offline SirRawThunderMan

• Master Force User
  • Very, Very English Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 06:59:49 AM »
Not bad at all for a first try. There's just something fancy about that wrapped grip look, IMO. I hope your friend likes it.

Welcome to your new addiction!
Better late than never.

Offline Callyste

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 07:26:32 AM »
Not bad at all for a first try. There's just something fancy about that wrapped grip look, IMO. I hope your friend likes it.

Welcome to your new addiction!

Thanks! Oh and yes it's right, the grip isn't good. It was just a test as I mentioned, I need to redo-it cleanly. Perhaps with a different material (but still black). I also hope he'll like it!

Offline Thexter

• Force User
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 10:38:26 AM »
Nice looking saber. It looks good on that stand. What's inside of it?

Offline Callyste

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 01:05:02 PM »

Thanks! I have actually just re-done the grip, with black fabric instead of black... plastic thingie. Same overall look, but looks much better!

The saber is fitted with a Pico Crumble (light version), and a single red Cree Star LED. It has an illuminated switch (as you have seen on the pictures) and in-hilt recharge port for the 18650 li-ion. I tried to keep things simple for my first build!

Offline Greenie

• Force User
  • Pew pew!!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 03:44:04 PM »
Very nice work and nice saber stand too. Well done.  Oh, did nobody warn you, saber building can be highly addictive  :laugh:

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 05:11:27 PM »

Thanks! I have actually just re-done the grip, with black fabric instead of black... plastic thingie. Same overall look, but looks much better!

The saber is fitted with a Pico Crumble (light version), and a single red Cree Star LED. It has an illuminated switch (as you have seen on the pictures) and in-hilt recharge port for the 18650 li-ion. I tried to keep things simple for my first build!

My first build didn't even have sound, so hats off for diving into it straight away. It's nice looking as well. I look forward to your build #2.

Offline Kregan

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 11:56:15 PM »
Very true and nice saber stand too. Well done.  Oh, did nobody warn you, saber building can be highly addictive  :laugh:

Sweet, that's a great first saber.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 02:06:47 AM by Kregan »

Offline BEN KENOBI

• Crazy Old Wizard
  • FX-SABERS VIP II
  • Master Force User
  • The saber scientist
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 06:32:44 AM »
 :grin:

Great job on this. I've been building them since 2003 . Can't stop when you start. :grin:

Offline Callyste

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 06:59:12 AM »
:grin:

Great job on this. I've been building them since 2003 . Can't stop when you start. :grin:

Thanks... and yes! All I've been thinking of the past weeks, is when will I be able to purchase new parts to make another! I won't even get to keep this saber for much longer, my friend's birthday is at the end of the month :cry:

Offline Callyste

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 03:59:51 PM »
Little update:

Changed the grip, added some kind of... herm... clamp? thingie separating the grip from the switch/emitter section, and added a metal bit on the emitter, reminiscent of the Graflex's bunny ears.

I have to admit I did a very shoddy job on the emitter to attach that tiny metal bit... but at least it's suitably fastened >.>

Offline JakeSoft

• Experienced Force User
  • The Arduino Jedi
    • Universal Saber Library
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 07:25:57 PM »
It looks like you could use the loop thingie to hang from your belt somehow.

Offline Callyste

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 08:13:39 PM »
It looks like you could use the loop thingie to hang from your belt somehow.

I think it might be hazardous, I'm not sure the fastening is strong enough :p
(and, well, there's already a D-ring on the pommel ^^)

retrousse