fiduciary

Author Topic: Favourite part of the EU  (Read 9467 times)

Offline darklordkasim

• Padawan Learner
Favourite part of the EU
« on: January 20, 2017, 10:35:37 AM »
Right guys so with the EU being erased and rebuilt by Disney, what is the thing from the old EU you would most like to see made canon?

Mine would probably have to be the whole Darth Bane trilogy, those books were so good and still some of the greatest stories out there in my mind.
There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force.

Offline bombarta

• Master Force User
  • Impressive..... most Impressive!
Re: Favourite part of the EU
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 10:53:45 AM »
It would of been mara jade but that can't happen now.....or could it, if ray turns out to be lukes daughter Mara could be mummy Jade. Also sith assassins didn't exist until Timothy Zhan wrote about Mara who was the emperor's personal assassin.
Even if she is never featured in a film a, mention about her and Luke being together would be nice. And as Kylo killed all the new Jedi maybe she could of been one of the victims too which would be similar to Jacen Solo killing her.
I don't know, i gotta bad feeling about this!

Offline TheSaberCore

• Force User
  • Every saber has a core.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 12:25:20 PM »
The Old Republic, particularly Revan. We've gotten hints at him in Rebels but nothing official yet.
"Luke."

"The Belonging you seek is not behind you, it is ahead."

Offline darklordkasim

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 12:54:26 PM »
Yeah definitely picked up the hints towards revan, would be good to make him canon but hopefully they would give him some back story and not just a mention like Bane in the Clone Wars!
I think KOTOR is a massive part of any Star Wars fans past

Mara was a massive part of the EU, I remember reading about her for the first time in Allegiance and then reading many more after that.
There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force.

Offline Burty

• No Force
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 04:14:31 PM »
Right guys so with the EU being erased and rebuilt by Disney, what is the thing from the old EU you would most like to see made canon?

Mine would probably have to be the whole Darth Bane trilogy, those books were so good and still some of the greatest stories out there in my mind.

Hah, I just started to read your first sentence and assumed it was 'Brexit' related, but "rebuilt by Disney", that would be awesome!....sorry *leaves room*

Offline bombarta

• Master Force User
  • Impressive..... most Impressive!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 04:15:27 PM »

Hah, I just started to read your first sentence and assumed it was 'Brexit' related, but "rebuilt by Disney", that would be awesome!....sorry *leaves room*
Lmao
I don't know, i gotta bad feeling about this!

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 11:27:00 PM »
KOTOR most of all but the real genius of the EU was not in any single part but how the ENTIRETY of the EU eventually [and perhaps inadvertently since it seems unlikely it could be deliberate with so many different writers contributions] formed a complete INVERSION of everything that most SW fans think they know about the onscreen Saga.

Which is that because of what is revealed in the EU [specifically Mandalore Canderous Ordo's revealing to Revan in KOTOR of the Vong scouting the Galaxy thousands of years BBY which passed down to Darth Bane through Revans holocron and in turn eventually to Palpatine which was why he sabotaged Outbound Flight before the Jedi could prematurely encounter and provoke the Vong before the Sith had militarized the Galaxy to fight them which was the entire real reason for the Clone Wars and the development by the CIS of the expeditionary battle planetoids aka Death Stars intended to be the defense against what Palpatine knew was an inevitable Vong invasion but which because of the Rebels 'goodness' eventually left the entire SW Galaxy defenceless against the Vong invasion and thus led to trillions of unnecessary deaths because the Rebels did the 'right thing' which was really the REALPOLITIK 'wrong thing' in destroying the Death Stars.

Thus it turns out that actually the Sith are the 'good guys' [or rather 'necessary evil for the greater good'] since it was only they who knew about the Real Threat and had a plan  to deal with it and Palpatine's rise to power, military mobilization of the entire galaxy into a permanent war-footing through the fake Clone Wars and real Empire, destruction of the Jedi Order to have an excuse to steal er confiscate its incalculable wealth [think about how much of an economy's wealth will eventually be concentrated when there is only one 'church' and its been around 20,000 years - study our real world and you'll figure that answer out ;)] for certain incredibly expensive secret construction projects and its creation of the Rebellion [Palpatine NEEDED the Rebellion to keep the Empire in war footing/military readiness' just as Palpatine had 'needed'/used the Separatists similarly - even Leia realized the Empire LET them go in ANH and of course the Emperor had been 'letting' the Rebels exist all along] and building of the Death Stars [and eventually many more no doubt] was meant to SAVE the Galaxy - until the 'good' Rebels actually almost DOOMED the Galaxy oops...Law Of Unintended Consequences anyone? lol

Yeah not much wonder Unca George ended up HATING the EU and wanting to destroy it; the EU remade the 'evil' Empire as on the RIGHT side of SW Galactic History and the 'good' Rebels on the WRONG side of Galactic History but we only find that out long after the Battle Of Endor because of what happened in the NJO novels [where even Han solo wished for a Death Star]...but not until the last 'puzzle piece' is revealed in KOTOR. Drew Karpashyn totally SUBVERTED Star Wars into an politically-ADULT franchise which George wanted to always be a juvenile simplistic-for-simpletons-and-kiddies politically NAIVE morality play...

...can't have SW become too intelligent-for-adults instead of philosophically immature minds making kiddie movies [George, Disney] eh?

Which is why the EU had to be destroyed...first and formost the NJO but also very specifically KOTOR which was the BEST thing ever to have the SW name on it but was the in-universe chronological beginning of everything that turned Unca George's little space opera for kiddies universe upside down and into a sly political thriller for adults...can't have that!

-SIGH-
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 11:32:57 PM by Onli-Won Kanomi »
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline Jotun22

• No Force
  • You must do what you think is right, of course.
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 02:58:08 PM »
Mine would have to be KOTOR for video games, and the Darth Bane Trilogy as far as books go, and then I'd say Jedi Vs Sith concerning comics.
KR/OR QGJ - GGW NBv3
(In the Market for more)

Offline GnostDural

• No Force
  • Keeper of the Jedi Archives.
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2019, 08:00:56 AM »
I'd like to see one of three things:

1) The Old Republic made canon. It's far enough removed chronologically, I don't see why they couldn't have kept it. Not to mention some of the coolest characters come from that time period..

2) The Darth Bane trilogy. Still one of the coolest characters ever in the SW Universe, and creator of the Rule of Two, which is what laid the groundwork for Palpatine/Sidious, so I don't see how it isn't canon by default.

3) Probably most realistically... I'd like to see Quinlan Vos' character and EU adventure made canon. Friend of Obi-Wan's who struggles with the line between the light and the dark side of the Force.. who becomes an agent for Count Dooku, and later is redeemed.. Surviving Order 66.. and having taught Aayla Secura, (considered one of the best of the Jedi Order) he's clearly a qualified Master to help teach the next round of Force Sensatives...
This will be the subject of my next report. May the Force be with you.

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2019, 10:19:11 AM »
I agree with all of those wishes.

1. It is possible that the upcoming SW films by the Game Of Thrones showrunners might be about the Old Republic era...I think many fans would love to see a KOTOR: Rise of Revan film (ideally with Keanu Reeves in the role) but anything set in the Old Republic era could be very interesting imo.

2. Darth Bane is already 'sort of' canon due to his inclusion in the non broadcast final episodes of the Clone Wars. That version of Bane did look different than EU depictions though so its unclear what else might be changed in any future Canon retconning of the awesome Bane character (the same thing might happen with Revan or other Old Republic elements if Disney Star Wars decides to address them).

3. Quinlan Vos existence is definitely Canon due to OWK mentioning him in ROTS...hey Disney it sure would be great to actually see the story of his Fall and Redemption onscreen sometime eh?
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

Offline GnostDural

• No Force
  • Keeper of the Jedi Archives.
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2019, 07:00:15 PM »
I agree with all of those wishes.

1. It is possible that the upcoming SW films by the Game Of Thrones showrunners might be about the Old Republic era...I think many fans would love to see a KOTOR: Rise of Revan film (ideally with Keanu Reeves in the role) but anything set in the Old Republic era could be very interesting imo.

2. Darth Bane is already 'sort of' canon due to his inclusion in the non broadcast final episodes of the Clone Wars. That version of Bane did look different than EU depictions though so its unclear what else might be changed in any future Canon retconning of the awesome Bane character (the same thing might happen with Revan or other Old Republic elements if Disney Star Wars decides to address them).

3. Quinlan Vos existence is definitely Canon due to OWK mentioning him in ROTS...hey Disney it sure would be great to actually see the story of his Fall and Redemption onscreen sometime eh?

1) I didn't realize the GoT Showrunners were attached to the new Star Wars films... that might be freaking awesome! (Provided they don't do to SW what they did to the last episode of GoT)

2) I didn't realize Bane made an appearance.. Might have to try and find a stream of those final episodes.

Gosh, I love Star Wars!!!
This will be the subject of my next report. May the Force be with you.

retrousse