fiduciary

Author Topic: Announcing the Teensy Saber open source sound board  (Read 91587 times)

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
Re: Announcing the Teensy Saber open source sound board
« Reply #405 on: January 11, 2018, 05:31:41 PM »
I bought a TCSS foam diffuser for neopixel and it was a nightmare getting a strip into it, and a nightmare sliding it into the blade.  I had to slice the foam to put the strip in, and wrap it tight just to get it in the blade.  There was a lot of static cling trying to slide it in.  Was not a fan.  (7/8th blade btw).

How wide were your strips?

Offline TTFRAZ

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #406 on: January 13, 2018, 06:17:21 AM »
When wiring up the blade ID for a WS2811 blade we need one wire coming off of the BladeID/NeoData pin with a resistor that is grounded, then a second wire from the same pin going up to the Data pad on the WS2811 essentials right? i just want to make sure I'm reading your pictures right

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #407 on: January 13, 2018, 02:42:40 PM »
When wiring up the blade ID for a WS2811 blade we need one wire coming off of the BladeID/NeoData pin with a resistor that is grounded, then a second wire from the same pin going up to the Data pad on the WS2811 essentials right? i just want to make sure I'm reading your pictures right

Yes, you also need a resistor going to the data pad on the ws2811, or it might not turn off right.
The resistor to the data pad should be something like 100-300 ohms, while the blade ID resistor should be 2k-100k, so it doesn't interfere with the data transmission.

Offline KanyonKris

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
Charger issues
« Reply #408 on: January 19, 2018, 10:19:50 AM »
Profezzorn, we're have problems with charging. We bought the Li-ion charger you linked from TCSS. With the battery at 4.0V the charger didn't start a charge cycle, but we chalked this up to the charger determining that the battery is not low enough. But it also won't start charging with the battery at 3.8V, and we don't understand this. Any ideas?

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
Re: Charger issues
« Reply #409 on: January 19, 2018, 10:23:35 AM »
Profezzorn, we're have problems with charging. We bought the Li-ion charger you linked from TCSS. With the battery at 4.0V the charger didn't start a charge cycle, but we chalked this up to the charger determining that the battery is not low enough. But it also won't start charging with the battery at 3.8V, and we don't understand this. Any ideas?

Does it work if you hook it up to a plain battery?
It's not hooked up backwards I hope?
Also check the connections on the charging connector, it's easy to hook it up to the wrong pins which makes it do nothing.

Offline KanyonKris

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #410 on: January 19, 2018, 11:40:16 AM »
Does it work if you hook it up to a plain battery?
It's not hooked up backwards I hope?
Also check the connections on the charging connector, it's easy to hook it up to the wrong pins which makes it do nothing.
We are connecting straight to the battery in an 18650 holder.
Not backwards, we checked polarity.
Also checked the barrel connector and I think it's correct - center hole positive, outside barrel negative. I determined this by putting a meter on the charger plug (it doesn't output a continuous voltage, but it does pulse).
With a battery at 3.9V the charger started and completed a charge cycle, bringing the battery up to 4.2V. I'm confused by the charger being finicky and not always initiating a charge cycle.

Offline KanyonKris

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #411 on: January 19, 2018, 11:52:33 AM »
New information: With a battery at 3.8V connected directly to the charger it starts charging. With the same battery (at 3.8V) installed in the saber and the simple charging blade, the charger won't initiate a charge. We double checked the wiring and it's good. Is there any chance the FETs or the 5V boost supply (or other things on the saber board that are connected to BAT+ and BAT-) could be interfering with the charger?

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #412 on: January 19, 2018, 12:04:32 PM »
New information: With a battery at 3.8V connected directly to the charger it starts charging. With the same battery (at 3.8V) installed in the saber and the simple charging blade, the charger won't initiate a charge. We double checked the wiring and it's good. Is there any chance the FETs or the 5V boost supply (or other things on the saber board that are connected to BAT+ and BAT-) could be interfering with the charger?

The simple charging blade connects the charger directly to the battery, without connecting the FETs or running the electronics, so there shouldn't be any possibility of any interference. The fancy charging blade runs the electronics and hooks up an LED or two, which can potentially interfere, but that's not what you have, right?

When you say you checked the connections, did you check it all the way from the charge connector to the battery? (through the blade connector)

Offline Jager07

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #413 on: January 19, 2018, 02:41:04 PM »
BLE Serial Port question, is it possible and what code changes to I add to move the Serial3 port that is used for BLE to Serial2 and have them on pins 26 (RX2) and pin 21 (TX2)? is this possible?

Issue for me is added BLE I have to give up pins that I use for neo pixel strings 2&3...

Offline KanyonKris

• Padawan Learner
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #414 on: January 19, 2018, 03:13:02 PM »
Charging now working, but not sure what the issue was. We built a whole new simple charging blade and it works. The new working charging blade and the old not-working blade are connected the same (verified with DMM continuity check). All we can figure is there is a flaky solder joint, wire or something. Thank you for the feedback. Sorry for the goose chase.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #415 on: January 19, 2018, 03:14:47 PM »
BLE Serial Port question, is it possible and what code changes to I add to move the Serial3 port that is used for BLE to Serial2 and have them on pins 26 (RX2) and pin 21 (TX2)? is this possible?

Issue for me is added BLE I have to give up pins that I use for neo pixel strings 2&3...

It's possible.
I think those pins are actually the alternate RX/TX pins for Serial1, so you'll need to replace "Serial3" with Serial1, and in Serial3Adapter::begin, you'll have to add calls to Serial1.setRX and Serial1.setTX().

Also, when you do this you'll loose power channel 3 and 6, so you have to make sure not to use those.
Note that WS2811Blade() uses bladePowerPin3 by default, but you can tell it not to use it manually.
Two LED channels is enough to drive a neopixel blade, so that part should be fine.

Note that WS2811 data can also be sent to pin 5/21, which might be simpler.
Also, pin 2 can be used for WS2811 data, just don't connected it to the teensysaber board.
(The current software does not use the interrupt from the motion chip, so there should be no drawbacks.)

Also, you can probably save one pin by hooking up the quillions in parallel, controlling them seprately is seldom useful.

Offline Jager07

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #416 on: January 19, 2018, 04:07:04 PM »
thanks for this, I will give a few options a try. Serial2 is optioned on pins 31 and 26, I got a typo above... Anyway, will be easier to move Neopixels to pins 5,21 I guess and leave BLE as serial3.

Once the BLE modules arrive I will give it a try.

Many thanks.

Offline Azhoral

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #417 on: January 24, 2018, 08:05:00 AM »
I'm trying to build V1 version with Teensy 3.2 + prop shield with audio.

I didnt plug the SD flash reader... is possibile to use the internal 8mb of Prop shield for play the wav file? (my font is < 5mb..  just for test system)

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #418 on: January 24, 2018, 10:17:16 AM »
I'm trying to build V1 version with Teensy 3.2 + prop shield with audio.

I didnt plug the SD flash reader... is possibile to use the internal 8mb of Prop shield for play the wav file? (my font is < 5mb..  just for test system)

Yes it is, just replace ENABLE_SD with ENABLE_SERIALFLASH in your config file.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #419 on: January 26, 2018, 02:20:19 PM »
In case anybody missed it, I'm doing a teensysaber V3 group buy:
TeensySaber V3 group buy (unlimited run, current price: )

retrousse