fiduciary

Author Topic: Announcing the Teensy Saber open source sound board  (Read 91589 times)

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • May the source be with you.
    • Hubbe's Corner
Re: Announcing the Teensy Saber open source sound board
« Reply #345 on: September 21, 2017, 08:00:55 PM »
Can't use the serial console, as the Teensy can't stay connected to my system for more than a second. I don't know if the teensy itself is constantly rebooting, or if the port can't maintain a connection. It seems to do odd things if i wiggle the cable.

I don't think there is any point in waiting for buttons, because if it behaves like that you won't be able to update the programming, which you are going to want to do.

Here is a list of things to try:
1. Use a multimeter to measure if the 5v input is stable when the battery is connected. If not, there is a problem with the power booster. (Which is covered by the warrenty.)
2. Try a different USB cable. Try a powered USB hub if you have one.
3. Disconnect the battery, close VIN-VUSB (this can be done on the top of the teensy with a short wire) and see if the teensy behaves better. If not, there is a problem with your teensy.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #346 on: September 21, 2017, 08:02:49 PM »
Can't use the serial console, as the Teensy can't stay connected to my system for more than a second. I don't know if the teensy itself is constantly rebooting, or if the port can't maintain a connection. It seems to do odd things if i wiggle the cable.

I don't think there is any point in waiting for buttons, because if it behaves like that you won't be able to update the programming, which you are going to want to do.

Here is a list of things to try:
1. Use a multimeter to measure if the 5v input is stable when the battery is connected. If not, there is a problem with the power booster. (Which is covered by the warrenty.)
2. Try a different USB cable. Try a powered USB hub if you have one.
3. Disconnect the battery, close VIN-VUSB (this can be done on the top of the teensy with a short wire) and see if the teensy behaves better. If not, there is a problem with your teensy.

I forgot: Also measure the battery and make sure that it is producing 3.0 volts or more while connected to the teensysaber.

Offline arusiasotto

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #347 on: September 29, 2017, 01:47:06 PM »
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I got frustrated and wired up a Nano Biscotti v4. Finally went to the garage and dug up my multimeter. Of the three batteries I have tried, they range in output from 3.5-4.1 volts. On the TeensySaber board, 5V pin will register 5V for like 30 seconds, then drop to 1.4ish, then climb back to 5v. The 3.3v pin registers nothing.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #348 on: September 29, 2017, 01:57:12 PM »
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I got frustrated and wired up a Nano Biscotti v4. Finally went to the garage and dug up my multimeter. Of the three batteries I have tried, they range in output from 3.5-4.1 volts. On the TeensySaber board, 5V pin will register 5V for like 30 seconds, then drop to 1.4ish, then climb back to 5v. The 3.3v pin registers nothing.

That doensn't sound good. Sounds like both the teensy and the teensysaber boards might be broken.
If you desolder the teensysaber and send me a picture, I'll send you a replacement teensysaber board.

Offline arusiasotto

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #349 on: September 29, 2017, 02:01:00 PM »
Alright. May take a bit of work, as I used Header pins for space. Going to have to get me a new solder wick first, as my old one is pretty much shot.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #350 on: September 29, 2017, 02:07:48 PM »
Alright. May take a bit of work, as I used Header pins for space. Going to have to get me a new solder wick first, as my old one is pretty much shot.

Pins can be tricky, but please be careful as I will ask you to send the broken teensysaber back to me. I will attempt to repair it and send it to the next person who needs a replacement.  Usually it's possible to heat the pins up enough to just pull it out with some pliers (one at a time), but don't pull to hard or plating will come right off the board(s). Do not try to clip the pins, as the sideways mechanical motion is often enough to damage the board(s).
Good solder wick is probably a good idea.

Offline ShreddinPB

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #351 on: November 28, 2017, 12:02:40 PM »
Hey guys, new here and to owning lightsabers ;) I put together a teensy 3.2/prop shield, and think it should all be working. Problem is, when I get ignition, I get no sound.
I have gone over the trouble shooting and dug into some other things, all I can think of is that I cant get the sound font into a directory called /font01/ using serialFlash or TeensyTransfer. All the sound files are in the root of the prop shield flash.
Here is the serial out from the console on boot.
First I type "play hum.raw" and it plays it fine.
I then type "effects" and it lists nothing.
What am I doing wrong? thanks!!
ID: 993 volts 3.20 resistance= 1057064.00
blade= 6
Simple Blade
Scanning sound font: font01 done
Amplifier off.
I2C pending data detected, trying to clear...
I2C pullups found, initializing...
Accel setup ...  Done
Gyro setup ...  Done
EVENT: Clash
Welcome to TeensySaber, type 'help' for more info.
Battery voltage: 5.12
Playing hum.raw
channels: 1 rate: 44100 bits: 16
Amplifier off.
Done listing effects.

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #352 on: November 28, 2017, 12:14:28 PM »
Hey guys, new here and to owning lightsabers ;) I put together a teensy 3.2/prop shield, and think it should all be working. Problem is, when I get ignition, I get no sound.
I have gone over the trouble shooting and dug into some other things, all I can think of is that I cant get the sound font into a directory called /font01/ using serialFlash or TeensyTransfer. All the sound files are in the root of the prop shield flash.
blade= 6
Simple Blade
Amplifier off.
Accel setup ...  Done
Gyro setup ...  Done
Playing hum.raw
Amplifier off.
Done listing effects.

The name of the font directories live in the presets array, if the font lives in the root, you'll need to set the font directory to "".

Offline Fletch

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #353 on: November 29, 2017, 03:22:33 PM »
Hey the guys at work are all in on making our custom sabers for the upcoming movie (geeky I know but you have to have something to help you get through the day sometimes).  Anyway, we are wondering whether there is a recommended distance that you should insert your blade if you plan to do some light dueling.  The hilt design for some only allows 1.5-2 inches of insertion while others are planning on 4 inches.  I am thinking that a set screw for a 36" blade and an insertion of 1.5 inches should be OK as long as the fit is nice and tight.  It was hard to tell how far you inserted your blade on the graflex hilt.  Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #354 on: November 29, 2017, 04:08:30 PM »
Hey the guys at work are all in on making our custom sabers for the upcoming movie (geeky I know but you have to have something to help you get through the day sometimes).  Anyway, we are wondering whether there is a recommended distance that you should insert your blade if you plan to do some light dueling.  The hilt design for some only allows 1.5-2 inches of insertion while others are planning on 4 inches.  I am thinking that a set screw for a 36" blade and an insertion of 1.5 inches should be OK as long as the fit is nice and tight.  It was hard to tell how far you inserted your blade on the graflex hilt.  Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately I don't have any definitive answers. I suspect that 1.5-2 inches will be enough, but I don't know.

My hilts have fairly deep slots for blades (3-4 inches), mostly because I want to have enough space for star adapters, not because I want the blade to be held more securely. I suspect it depends a lot on the weight of the blade itself, a very light blade doesn't create as much force when you swing it around or whack it on something as a heavier blade would. All neopixel blades are kind of heavy compared to a blade lit by an LED star though.

Offline Kouri

• No Force
  • ~
« Reply #355 on: November 30, 2017, 03:52:40 AM »
I typically go for a 2" bladeholder on dueling hilts, with a third inch reserved for the LED module.

1.5" will probably work, especially if you're not going all-out with your hits, so long as the ID is tight (1.009") and you have the set screw as close to the emitter opening as is reasonable.

Offline Fletch

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #356 on: November 30, 2017, 12:06:26 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  It helps.  I might try and eek out another .5" and work on the fit.

Offline ShreddinPB

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #357 on: November 30, 2017, 01:57:46 PM »
blade= 6
Simple Blade
Amplifier off.
Accel setup ...  Done
Gyro setup ...  Done
Playing hum.raw
Amplifier off.
Done listing effects.

The name of the font directories live in the presets array, if the font lives in the root, you'll need to set the font directory to "".
This did it.. is there no way to have multiple fonts then if you are using the serialFlash?

Offline profezzorn

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
    • Hubbe's Corner
« Reply #358 on: November 30, 2017, 02:19:36 PM »
blade= 6
Simple Blade
Amplifier off.
Accel setup ...  Done
Gyro setup ...  Done
Playing hum.raw
Amplifier off.
Done listing effects.

This did it.. is there no way to have multiple fonts then if you are using the serialFlash?

It should be possible, but I haven't tried it. (because of the limited space)
The serialflash dosen't support directories, but it does support putting slashes in filenames, so if you name your files
something like "font1/hum.wav" "font2/hum.wav" etc, it should be possible to set the font directory to "font1" and have it work.

Not entirely sure how difficult it is to upload files to the serialflash with such filenames though.

Offline Fletch

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #359 on: December 04, 2017, 02:54:01 PM »
Ran into another thing that I am a little confused about.  Where exactly did you put your 50-100ohm resistor for the PL9823 blade.  The schematic would seem to indicate that it goes in the blade itself (but your pictures only showed what I think was the ID resistor).  I was thinking of just placing the resistor on the hilt side of the aviation connector.  Since I will likely not be doing an star blade, I can't see the downside to this.  Thoughts??

retrousse