fiduciary

Author Topic: Kotor comics.  (Read 3250 times)

Offline bekstorm

• Padawan Learner
Kotor comics.
« on: August 21, 2014, 08:12:25 AM »
I recently picked up and have finished reading the Knights of the Old Republic comics and was interested in peoples take on it.

I find the character of Zayne interesting as he has both a limited control of the force and a deep connection to it. In most other EU materials the main characters tend to come across as the best at what they do and sometimes without any real flaws. I liked seeing a character that both had flaws and wasn't some great warrior tackle fights with cunning and guile. Also the concept of "Force Luck" for lack of a better term is something that I would love to see expanded upon.
The Force doesn't want me dead. It doesn't want me happy, but it doesn't want me dead.

Offline adi9678

• No Force
Re: Kotor comics.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 11:57:08 PM »
I recently picked up and have finished reading the Knights of the Old Republic comics and was interested in peoples take on it.

I find the character of Zayne interesting as he has both a limited control of the force and a deep connection to it. In most other EU materials the main characters tend to come across as the best at what they do and sometimes without any real flaws. I liked seeing a character that both had flaws and wasn't some great warrior tackle fights with cunning and guile. Also the concept of "Force Luck" for lack of a better term is something that I would love to see expanded upon.

Hi there  :)

I have just finished the first collected edition of the KOTOR books, wasn't what I was expecting, I was looking for something that echoed the games, (KOTOR & KOTOR 2: Sith Lords). But I was pleasantly surprised; I found the plot engaging and the story original.

I agree with you Bekstorm it was nice to see a flawed and almost comical Jedi, they are portrayed taking themselves a little too seriously far too often.

I look forward to reading the rest of the series.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 12:00:32 AM by adi9678 »

Offline GnostDural

• No Force
  • Keeper of the Jedi Archives.
Re: Kotor comics.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 07:54:48 AM »
The thing I liked about the kotor comics was that it was a totally different take on the Mandalorian Wars we didn't get anywhere else. In KotOR 1, Canderous tells us a lot about his perspective during the Mandalorian Wars, and about Revan's involvement in them.. In KotOR 2 Canderous and Kreia again talk about Revan.. more in depth about Mandalore's Mask, and how Canderous was a fierce follower of Revan before he left again for the Unknown Region, etc.. the events on Malachor V, etc. But nothing else really. Just the main events of the war..

Whereas in the KotOR Comics, we have a new protagonist (Zayne), or really a group of protagonists.. and a completely different perspective on the same events. The Hidden Bek's on Taris - Gadon Thek aiding the Republic locate a Senator.. Mission aiding Zayne before Brejik attacks him (when Brejik was still a Hidden Bek)...Not to mention all the character development of Alek before he is declared Darth Malak.. cool duels with Rolan Dyre... the introduction of Lucien Draay... it all expands on characters and plotlines we were already introduced to, without feeling a prequel.. It's just it's own cool thing.

Not entirely related to the plotline of the games, but tied in just enough to provide context. With a roster of new characters and new stories... made for a great series! Really sad they only did 50 issues... would have really wanted more.. but who knows!
This will be the subject of my next report. May the Force be with you.

retrousse