fiduciary

Author Topic: Anakin Solo's lightsaber  (Read 8560 times)

Offline mb_jameson

• Force User
  • May the force be with you
Anakin Solo's lightsaber
« on: December 28, 2013, 12:38:10 PM »
Anakin Solo was written to be the hero of the NJO series, until Unca George decided that he should die. 

The NJO stories that lead up to Anakin's death are slightly ambiguous as to his saber. It is always described as having a purple blade, and his hilt is sometimes understood to be the original Obi-wan Kenobi hilt recovered from ep. IV by Vader. Wookieepedia puts me under the impression that he used/modified that saber to his death. Modifying the crystal, I assumed.

Well, now I have finished LOTF and I am a 1/4 of the way through Outcast in FOTJ, and I see Jaina reviewing some info on bounty hunters. One of which is holding a hilt resembling obi-wans hilt described as  "thought to be lost after the destruction (of the death star)." Wouldn't Jaina remember that her fallen brother recovered/used Obi-Wan's legendary hilt, and not think of it as lost after the Yavin?

Anakin was a shaping up to be a great hero, and I was super bummed when he died, but his saber had such a huge legacy! From Obi-wan Kenobi, to Darth Vader, to Anakin Solo, to Ganner Rhysode, and finally, to Luke Skywalker as he killed Shimmra with it.  IF that's the case, anyway...

Can anyone who has read NJO-FOTJ help me out? Has anyone else wondered what ever happened to old Ben's legendary weapon?

I do want a custom Anakin Solo hilt and now I feel like I just don't know where to start!
May the force be with you. Always.

Offline Xene

• Master Force User
  • Sup?
Re: Anakin Solo's lightsaber
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 01:58:27 PM »
Do you mean a anikin jaina solo hybrid?
"What I lack in finesse I more than make up for in blanket ruination.."

Offline mb_jameson

• Force User
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 02:02:56 PM »
No, I'm just trying to get a clear vision of Anakin's saber. did he build it? or did he use Obi-wan Kenobi's hilt?

Offline Xene

• Master Force User
  • Sup?
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 02:12:21 PM »
:facepalm: sorry, confused myself with over thinking DX
"What I lack in finesse I more than make up for in blanket ruination.."

Offline Yoda

• Jedi Master
  • Administrator
  • Master Force User
  • Formerly known as MERIDIAN
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 02:16:23 PM »
No, I'm just trying to get a clear vision of Anakin's saber. did he build it? or did he use Obi-wan Kenobi's hilt?

Hmmm Not sure on that one but I do believe if Ben Skywalker is brought in we will see the Luke ANH/ESB in His hands.
It would make sense to see some sort of hand down and reiteration of old hilts being passed on so you may not be far off.

Once anyone knows anything for sure... posting it here at fx we will be ;)

Offline coolhanluked

• Experienced Force User
  • Let the wookie win!
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 03:20:20 PM »

Hmmm Not sure on that one but I do believe if Ben Skywalker is brought in we will see the Luke ANH/ESB in His hands.
It would make sense to see some sort of hand down and reiteration of old hilts being passed on so you may not be far off.

Once anyone knows anything for sure... posting it here at fx we will be ;)

The anh saber was supposed to be anakins saber in revenge of the sith but they changed it a bit. So if they stay with the same formula we probably wont see handme downs in there proper form. My guess is that they will create compleatly different sabers for the movies. Once again leaving us with out a tie in saber.
     Just out of curiosity, how many of you were expecting to see an ANH graflex saber in Anakins hands in ROTS. And how many of you were POed when you saw that ugly hybird.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 03:50:21 PM by coolhanluked »
ANH: Obi, Luke,Vader real parts
ESB: Luke,Vader real parts
ROTJ Luke HERO,V2,Stunt custom made,Vader 90%
EP1 visual dictionary Praco Yoda real parts x2
King Sol coin edge bottom/Heiland ESB Vader
Custom rep Obi real clamp modern armatage HW
Han ESB DL-44 denix rep real greebs no scope
Parks graflex nickel crystal chassis CFLS6 Mokoto V3+blade
Parks Vader hyper set up
Vintage graflex hyper set up
Prodigal son re milled CF4.7 lux 5
Vintage graflex ESB Plasma argon w/murcury
Vintage mpp Plasma neon

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 04:17:51 PM »
It's implied that Anakin's lightsaber was built by him in the same academy course as Jaina and Jacen, because of his connection with it in EOV1.  It's also distinct in shape: when presented to Jacen by Nom Anor, Jacen instantly recognized it as Anakin's lightsaber; had it been a legenday Jedi's weapon (OB1), it would have been recognized (specified by the author) as such.

Luke gave his graflex saber to Mara at the end of the Thrawn trilogy.  It is never specified what she does with that saber, but she eventually stops using it as her EDC.  Ben's lightsaber is also implied to be built by himself.  It's described as fitting his hands, distinct in shape, and comfortable for anyone to use... I don't know about THOSE jedi/sith, but a graflex is most definitely NOT comfortable.  ^-^
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 04:19:23 PM by eastern57 »

Offline mb_jameson

• Force User
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 04:37:36 PM »
Thanks eastern57!  I guess that my confusion is coming from wookieepedia, and I can assume that after recovering the Obi-wan hilt from Bast Castle Anakin Solo recreated the hilt per more modern necessity, and then added a Lambent when rescuing Tahiri.

I do kind of see the obi-wan hilt transition from ROTS to ANH, just because I could see him using it over the 19 years of Luke's youth against Tuscan raiders and who-knows-what. With repairs being made with whatever he had on hand.
Plus we already see some book series where Obi-Wan is using his saber in combat while helping Ferus Olin...
...but the transition for Anakin's saber from ROTS to ANH just doesn't make sense....I suppose these answers will be Disney's motivation to bridge those gaps.

(edited after re-reading eastern57's response...sorry. jetlag)
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 07:08:34 PM by mb_jameson »

Offline Darkjedi

• Master Force User
  • I love Star Wars so much ,I married her!
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2013, 05:41:57 PM »
Well I finished reading " I ,Jedi" have not gotten that far yet. ..but from another source.

spoiler alert !!

Well Darth Vader had the saber(OB1) to Vjun his retreat. After his death some of Luke's padawan's found it on a mission. While in Luke's possession it was stolen. Some time later those Padawan's  found the thief. Anakin used it on the thief .

To complete his training Anakin had to build his on lightsaber.

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2013, 09:44:53 PM »
Thanks eastern57!  I guess that my confusion is coming from wookieepedia, and I can assume that after recovering the Obi-wan hilt from Bast Castle Anakin Solo recreated the hilt per more modern necessity, and then added a Lambent when rescuing Tahiri.

I do kind of see the obi-wan hilt transition from ROTS to ANH, just because I could see him using it over the 19 years of Luke's youth against Tuscan raiders and who-knows-what. With repairs being made with whatever he had on hand.
Plus we already see some book series where Obi-Wan is using his saber in combat while helping Ferus Olin...
...but the transition for Anakin's saber from ROTS to ANH just doesn't make sense....I suppose these answers will be Disney's motivation to bridge those gaps.

(edited after re-reading eastern57's response...sorry. jetlag)

No problem.  That's the inherent problem with those wookiepedia summaries - they're just a summary.  The texts of the books themselves are much more descriptive than the summaries suggest... very vivid painted mental picture.

Well I finished reading " I ,Jedi" have not gotten that far yet. ..but from another source.

spoiler alert !!

Well Darth Vader had the saber(OB1) to Vjun his retreat. After his death some of Luke's padawan's found it on a mission. While in Luke's possession it was stolen. Some time later those Padawan's  found the thief. Anakin used it on the thief .

To complete his training Anakin had to build his on lightsaber.

That image comes from the Japanese cover art versions of Rebirth, I think.  There are a couple other covers that depicts a version of that saber.  The hilt in the picture is based off the Hasbro Luke ROTJ (POTF 1995).

I actually made one.  It's a modded a Rebellion Jacen Solo made to look like it, but was waiting to finish a sound font to show it off... way to force my hand  :)) LOL!
 Here is it: Solo Photos by eastern57 | Photobucket

Offline Justintmars

• Mining Colony Members
  • Master Force User
  • There is some peace?
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2013, 10:06:10 PM »
It's implied that Anakin's lightsaber was built by him in the same academy course as Jaina and Jacen, because of his connection with it in EOV1.  It's also distinct in shape: when presented to Jacen by Nom Anor, Jacen instantly recognized it as Anakin's lightsaber; had it been a legenday Jedi's weapon (OB1), it would have been recognized (specified by the author) as such.

Luke gave his graflex saber to Mara at the end of the Thrawn trilogy.  It is never specified what she does with that saber, but she eventually stops using it as her EDC.  Ben's lightsaber is also implied to be built by himself.  It's described as fitting his hands, distinct in shape, and comfortable for anyone to use... I don't know about THOSE jedi/sith, but a graflex is most definitely NOT comfortable.  ^-^

Mara actually uses the ESB graflex against Jacen in the Legacy Of the Force Book Sacrafice

Offline mb_jameson

• Force User
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 10:17:47 PM »
that's awesome! nice job eastern57! tell me you'll add madcow's vong font to it!

Offline eastern57

• Neato Jedi Knight
  • Master Force User
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 12:21:02 AM »
Mara actually uses the ESB graflex against Jacen in the Legacy Of the Force Book Sacrifice

That's pretty cool.  At least one author cares about continuity.  High-five to Karen!

that's awesome! nice job eastern57! tell me you'll add madcow's vong font to it!

No, I'm making my own - it's called Vongsense.  About 75% there...

Offline Darkjedi

• Master Force User
  • I love Star Wars so much ,I married her!
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 06:07:36 AM »
 I "track you" E-57 about the Wookie. I have not got that far up the timeline, I have them just not read them. I just finished "I ,Jedi" ( Opps his was an infant ::)

So that one you did of Anakin's rocks. What else can we expect of you? I think I've seen it before just could find in time post between bed time for the kids.

Great job guys! Well I hope to see another "Anakin Solo" to pop in the future.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 08:51:30 AM by Darkjedi »

Knight50

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 07:27:36 AM »

Mara actually uses the ESB graflex against Jacen in the Legacy Of the Force Book Sacrafice

hmmm, i read that book as well, and i thought she used her own saber in her battle with Jacen

retrousse