fiduciary

Author Topic: My short Windu FX review  (Read 11277 times)

Offline mr_snerdly

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
My short Windu FX review
« on: May 22, 2006, 04:48:02 PM »
I purchased the Windu FX saber today after reading the great reviews of the Ep. 3 version. People said the color purple is actually better than most people reported and the sound is far better than the AOTC version. Upon opening the box, I agree with the others that the hilt is beautiful, but horribly oversized. I am not gripping in general terms about it being oversized, as I know all of them are. However, the parts of this saber that are oversized detract from the "coolness" of the prop Sam Jackson uses. The top portion of the hilt and the bottom are the big trouble areas. Where the film prop is thin at both places, on the FX saber they are both fat and round.

Then I noticed the blade. I put in brand new Energizer Max batteries and the blade is definitely purple, but I would say it is more lavender than the deep purple of Jackson's color. The red sides didn't bother me as bad as it did others, but I must say one side is lavender, and the other side is blue. While you are swinging it around, it looks light purple, but it drove me nuts to just sit and look at it. Another thing people said is that this saber didn't have the blotches in the blade that other sabers had. I disagree, my Mace had numerous blotches. I also tried taking photos of it in hopes that it would appear purple, as others here have done, and the xxx thing looks blue on the photos. It has the cool white core look on the photo, but I want to see purple, not blue.

Next the sound: I agree with people when they say the sound effects sound like they were recorded in a tunnel. It sounded loud, but it was very muffled compared to the Anakin Ep 3 saber.

I compared the Anakin Ep 3 saber to the Windu saber and the Anakin saber is far brighter, and the sound is much more clear and crisp.

If I was going to collect all of the FX sabers, I would purchase this one last. It is a cool novelty to have as the hilt is my favorite design of all the hilts in the Star Wars films, but the FX hilt just doesn't live up to the film version. If you were only going to purchase one or two FX sabers, I would get the Anakin Ep. 3 or the Vader ESB.

Offline mr_snerdly

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
Re: My short Windu FX review
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 02:30:21 PM »
Does anyone have any comments? Am I just insane for not liking the Windu fx saber?

Offline benlurkin

• Master Force User
  • aka benlurkin
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 03:27:37 PM »
Your problems with the Mace, as you know, are not unique.  The color of the blade really is only best seen in a completely dark room, otherwise the diffuser bleed though only gets worse.  The blotchiness in the blade you see is usually attributed to imperfections in constructions so can vary from FX to FX.  The sounds are greatly improved in the ROTS version, I have both the new and older version, and that one improvement is noticeable, the way the speaker is designed is probably the cause the tunneling you hear.  I understand your concerns though, when I first got my AOTC Mace I was a little disappointed, especially at the blade, but now far removed from that initial feeling I'm still found of it, in spite of the drawbacks.

And as for the size issue, I can speak to it at length, but I think I'll let the photos speak for me.  ;)

(Image is a link to the full comparison.)

Offline Darthirishman

• Master Force User
  • They used to call me Sifo-Dyas
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 04:41:12 PM »
I think the Mace is a great saber even though the hilt is over sized.  Yeah the blade could be improved but I like the idle hum , it just shouts cool, has anyone else noticed that the Mace has the slowest idle hum sound out of all the Fx sabers, the Anakin and Luke are the fastest the Vader well the Vader has its own unique idle hum
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.  Then go find the person who has vodka and have a party

Offline Kyp Durron

• Master Force User
  • Member of the Lost 10
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 07:02:25 PM »
I'm sorry that your blade is blotchy, mine isn't and remains my most perfect blade in my collection.

And mine isn't two different colors on each side like yours is...  ???

-Joclad

2010...I certainly hope it's better than 2009 was! ::)
10/10/10~Well, so far with my Father's passing away, I'd say that this year was actually worse than 2009, even the fact that I now have a full time job (For now) isn't anywhere near enough to make up for that...so...maybe 2011 will be better? I'm not holding my breath... ::)

Offline Knuckle01

• formerly known as Jedi Master Knuckle
  • Master Force User
  • I am a Jedi, like my father before me...
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 08:57:14 PM »
i almost bought 1 mace ROTS yest....but i just cant bring myself to do it. there are so many negative reviews that i wonder if its at all worth it.
The Force will be with you....always.

Offline Shadowlynx

• Master Force User
  • Darkness has Fallen
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 09:34:32 PM »
I never did bought a Mace Windu FX since it was just given to me but it's not all bad.I said to myself that would be the one saber I never get. I still think it's a good fx saber. I don't know about the dueling part since I think the switch is easy to turn off especially while swinging it around.

Offline Hang Tuah Kenobi

• Experienced Force User
  • play nice with me
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 09:50:44 PM »
Congratulations..
and welcome to the forum.

this saber would be my last choice ever, i know its nostalgic to own one since its the only purple saber available, but im not a fan of 'organic-shape' saber hilts, i mean the hilt of the windu does looks class but somehow it reminds me of...a leech.. :)

anyway, i must add tht if u were only to have one or two fxs in your collection, in my opinion get the Luke ROTJ leds, its great for tricks n the brightness of the green is simply unmatched by other standard MR fxs.. if u dont mind the infamous fat neck.

Offline jack3auer

• Do or Do Not there is No Try
  • Master Force User
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 12:49:19 AM »
i owned a Mace ROTS FX,  i said it was my least favourite FX, i have since sold it.  once i saw lukes comparison prop pic, i was more put off.  i do miss not having it my collection, but i wont buy it again.

the purple colour occasionally looks good in the very dark.  if however it was supposed to be a green blade and the effect was as blotchy and two sided as with the mace, i would be very dissapointed.  the fact its the only purple saber, is its saving grace.

interestingly enough, check your box again,  note how MR have used a picture of the prop on the box and not the FX!

Offline mr_snerdly

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 08:55:03 PM »
I did notice MR used the photo of the prop for the box, and not the actual FX hilt. Plus the purple blade on the box looks great too. If MR can figure out how to make a good purple blade and make the hilt more realistic, I will purchase it for sure, even if it is far more expensive. That would be an awsome saber.

Hey Luke, how much did you pay for your Mace LE? I still maintain the Mace hilt is the best of all lightsaber hilts, and I am sure the Mace prop is the most sought after for that reason. One more question for everyone, someone mentioned the Luke ROTJ FX fat neck. I am assuming MR had to make the neck fat to fit the blade? That is the first thing I noticed when I saw that FX, as well as the Obi-Wan ROTS. This is the reason why I haven't bought it, because it looks like a toy to me. I have a friend who wants a "Luke" saber, and is debating over Luke's ROTJ FX, or Anakin's ROTS FX (since that was Luke's too). What would you recommend? I know the green blade looks good, but is that saber really better than the Ani FX, which is a great FX saber. Give me pros and cons on both, and I will print off the posts and give it to him.
Thanks!

Offline benlurkin

• Master Force User
  • aka benlurkin
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 09:20:44 PM »
The main problem with a true purple blade is the rare and expensive nature of purple LEDs, so the red/blue diffusion technique was decided as a preferable option.  (Should be noted that I'm going from second hand knowledge at this point because I've only quickly priced purple LEDs and can't speak definitively to these differences.)

I purchased my LE quite a while back but for info on the going rate I recommend this site.

The Luke FX may be a bit less impressive as say, this, but the green blade really is striking, and more than makes up for the accuracy issues in my book.  Plus if you add Yoda's Luke copper kit you can really improve on the look.  While you're at it Yoda also has a ANH Luke Graflex based custom available if you really want an authentic alternative.  (Sorry for the commercial but Yoda's work really is amazing and I can't recommend it enough.)

For more of the pros and cons of the two alternative I encourage you to start a topic asking members opinion of the two, it will give you a more diverse set of opinions to help with the decision. ;)

Personally I have a hard time deciding between the pair since they both have their pros and cons.  The Luke is the easiest to spin and an amazing green blade can't but help in my book.  The Ani is a great all around saber and is generally recommended as a first saber to highlight exactly what an FX is.  It does have a few draw backs such as the switch being easy to hit by mistake, and the gold accents can rub off with time (Both points have been discussed at length on the boards.) . In the end I'm a big fan of them both and am glad to not have to choose between the pair.

Hope this is helpful.

Offline todd4566

• Force User
  • I'm thinking.
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 09:28:40 PM »
Even if the Mace had a nice purple blade, I doubt I'd buy it.  IMO, the hilt is hideous.  :-X  I preferred the hilt Mace had in EP1.
My collection:
2002 Anakin AOTC
2003 Vader ANH  **Sold**
2004 Luke ESB  **Sold**
2005 Anakin ROTS **Sold**
2005 Vader ESB **Sold**
2005 Luke ROTJ **Sold**
2006 Maul TPM
Custom 5w Luxeon (Green/Royal Blue)
2006 Obi-Wan ROTS  **Sold**
2007 Yoda
2007 Luke ANH
2008 Obi-Wan TPM
2010 Anakin ROTS (Removeable Blade)

Offline Hang Tuah Kenobi

• Experienced Force User
  • play nice with me
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 09:43:37 PM »
since u r askin, and since the Luke ROTJ FX is my fave saber, i would strongly recommend the saber. I know ppl dislike it for a reason but overally, itsa good saber to own, the feel of holding it, the weight, the sound, and the brightness of the blade is totally awesome. Check out my short review with some pics and also other reviews specialy from Anakin and Aayla Secura.

Offline benlurkin

• Master Force User
  • aka benlurkin
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2006, 11:20:43 PM »
Some excellent points in favor of the Luke, Hang Tuah.  (Though still I can't recommend enough starting an opinion thread for this.)

Interesting that you favor the TPM Mace, Todd, but to me it seems a bit plain for SLJ's saber somehow. :D

Offline mr_snerdly

• No Force
  • Um...Hello?
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2006, 04:36:14 PM »
Thanks for the info everyone. I will read up on the reviews. I had heard that supposedly SLJ had a different saber in TPM, and I have seen photos on the net, but I didn't know his saber was actually shown in the film. Am I wrong? Is this a complete EU saber?

retrousse