fiduciary

Author Topic: Kotor and the revan book  (Read 6640 times)

Offline blackluc

• Master Force User
  • Lord Saevius
Kotor and the revan book
« on: December 21, 2012, 03:27:22 PM »
I was thinking about starting reading the TOR novels, starting by getting the Revan one.

But I never played Kotor.  Do I need to play Kotor before reading Revan?  And is the book enough to inform me a bit about kotor?

French Canadian Sith Lord

Offline madcow

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
    • Genesis Custom Sabers
Re: Kotor and the revan book
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 03:38:34 PM »
I was thinking about starting reading the TOR novels, starting by getting the Revan one.

But I never played Kotor.  Do I need to play Kotor before reading Revan?  And is the book enough to inform me a bit about kotor?

The Revan novel takes place just after both KOTOR games. It's a better read having played both games first.

Offline blackluc

• Master Force User
  • Lord Saevius
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 03:42:16 PM »
I started playing TFU because I really want to know the story, but I find the gameplay so bad that I prefer doing other stuff when I have time.  I might do kotor instead then...  Are they pretty long to get through?

Offline madcow

• Manufacturer
  • Master Force User
    • Genesis Custom Sabers
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 11:24:35 AM »
They take quite awhile.
I would recomend you pay the first KOTOR, then go ahead and read Revan. The book actually starts in between KOTOR 1 and 2.

Offline Jm419

• Master Force User
  • Owl Thread Survivor #19
    • The Star Wars Custom Miniature Database
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 11:57:00 AM »
The first one's a better game anyway.  The book, not so much from what I've heard, but KotOR is Revan's story.

Offline Koza

• Shoop Da Woop!
  • Experienced Force User
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 03:15:17 AM »
IMO, it's like reading a sequel to a trilogy. You skip 9/10's of the stuff that happens to set up the next book.

However, like any good author writing a stand alone novel, it's written so that first time readers, or those unfamiliar with that era, can pick it up and know what's going on, as if there wasn't a preceding book/prequel to it (yes I know the KOTOR/TOR is a series/era, but speaking novels of that era, these have been stand alone). If you've ever picked up books that have a protagonist with a history, they don't always go into the extensive details like a prequel will. The SW prequels are awesome, but the original trilogy did well without them, right?

Regardless, you'll miss some important story points if you skip the game's story. You could play the game first, but if you aren't interested in taking that time/money, or aren't interested in those kind of games, or any computer game in-general, then look up the wookieepedia articles. They're pretty accurate as far as I'm concerned, and a quick read. Third option is to go on youtube and watch a walk-through (can skip through none-story parts) or a collections of custscenes from the games. The TOR MMO timeline clip about Revan's era is a fast synopsis, and is although a good watch, IMO doesn't give you a good enough look into the story.

Hope that helps!

Offline blackluc

• Master Force User
  • Lord Saevius
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 05:18:27 AM »
Thanks a lot! 

I do read a lot on wookiepedia, that place is awesome.

But actually my plan is to finish the tfu games and then play kotor.  After, I will read the tor novels and then probably restart playing tor. 

You have all answered my question :)

Offline Lord Darth Revan

• Padawan Learner
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 08:54:02 AM »
I would play both first before reading it.

ALL HAIL LORD REVAN... ALL HAIL LORD REVAN... ALL HAIL LORD REVAN

Offline Wyrlock

• Padawan Learner
  • Through victory my chains are broken...
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 09:14:21 AM »
The second KOTOR was cut short due to Lucasarts pressuring Bioware into getting it released. Shame. Has the makings of a truly incredible sequel. KOTOR is available on IOS now too, you can keep it in your pocket to play whenever you want! If your an iphone/ipad user...
I want to go home and re-think my life...

Offline Boxster

• Master Force User
  • I like my lightsabers too bright, too loud!
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 09:34:25 AM »
KOTOR 1 and 2 are my favourite SW games! I wish they make a 3rd one but TOR happened and I don't do MMO, even its free but my computer's not suitable for gaming.

I applauded you for wanting to finish TFU. I find that game extremely repetitive and sold it off.

The Old Republic book I read is Fatal Alliance, I think its ...ok.

Offline MasterAddison

• Experienced Force User
  • Do you like sand?
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 04:06:02 PM »
Please please please play BOTH kotor games first and don't bother reading revan because it completely ruins the amazing character that revan is with advertising for a video game

Offline Wyrlock

• Padawan Learner
  • Through victory my chains are broken...
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2014, 05:10:33 AM »
KOTOR 3 was in pre-production...

KOTOR 3 was in pre-production at Obsidian | VG247

Shame really (like the unfinished product that KOTOR 2 ended up as). Definitely the best Star Wars games ever. I still play KOTOR on my iPhone along side Force Collection.
I want to go home and re-think my life...

Offline Onli-Won Kanomi

• Master Force User
  • Jedi Knight Of Faith
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 01:14:33 PM »
Definitely play KOTOR first...KOTOR 2 would be advisable, but if you play KOTOR thoroughly [don't just rush through it but go through the optional 'sidequests' if you want to learn interesting tidbits of SW lore like the origins of the Wookies and Sandpeople, etc.] you'll learn why Revan was considered the greatest Jedi/Sith of his era [kinda the SW equivalent of Alexander the Great, Julius Caesar, Genghis Khan and Napoleon all rolled into one supreme Force-'ubermensch'...he casts a looooong shadow across SW EU history even into the PT/OT and NJO eras, but that's another subject...]. The book is ok but doesn't really do full justice to the brilliance with which his character was drawn in KOTOR which is the best SW game ever and better than any of the PT movies imo.
To DREAM the IMPOSSIBLE DREAM. To FIGHT the unbeatable foe. To BEAR with unbearable sorrow. To RUN where the brave dare not go. To RIGHT the unrightable wrong. To LOVE, PURE AND CHASTE, FROM AFAR [-sigh-]. To TRY, when your arms are too weary; to REACH the unreachable Star!... This is my Quest; To follow that Star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far...

retrousse