fiduciary

Author Topic: Do you consider the v1 or the v2 to be the most iconic Luke saber in ROTJ?  (Read 19071 times)

Offline scottjua

• Master Force User
    • Scott and Tem Photography
Very very hard to decide. I used to say Hero, but after getting my mr V2 LE I am leaning v2

Also other than the deleted scene and vader close up the V2 is the one we see all the time. 

Along the lines of Satele's thinking about it being put together from old parts obi wan had, how about this thought:

The crystal was Qui Gon's! In my mind this makes perfect sense since obi was the last one to touch that saber. This is the story I'm sticking to in my head. ^_^

Hasbro Darth Vader Removable Blade
OR Qui Gon CFLS w/Makoto Green
MR Luke V2 LE
MR Qui Gon LE
EFX Ahsoka
Real Parts Obi Wan ANH (90%)

Offline Caine

• Kwai Chang Caine master of duel-fu
  • Master Force User

The crystal was Qui Gon's! In my mind this makes perfect sense since obi was the last one to touch that saber. This is the story I'm sticking to in my head. ^_^

I actually really like that theory. But why would Obi-Wan dismantle QG's saber? Would he not tinker with it like he did Anakin's and his own?

Anyways, I don't want to get off topic here, but regardless it's a really cool backstory/theory.

Offline Psab Keel

• Master Force User
Originally I preferred the main Hero version of Luke's ROTJ Lightsaber, but just as I fell in love with the Graflex when I first saw the lightsaber for the first time in ANH, so the V2 was the first lightsaber I saw in ROTJ.  That moment when Luke catches it and ignites that green blade, smiles and begins to unleash on Jabba's henchmen, I get goosebumps.

Originally I didn't care for the weathered beat up look of the V2, but the more I saw of it, the more it grew on me.  As much as I enjoy the copper neck of the hero and the triangular accent LED's of the Hero version, that saber was only seen in one shot in the final film, though it was cool to see the accent LED's on the side of the control box blinking in the Blu-Ray deleted scene.  The scene was rightly excised from the final cut of the movie, but as a lightsaber fan it was awesome to see completed!  The V2 has more screen time than any other saber in the completed film, and it's the one Mark Hamill carries in hand and on his belt throughout the movie.  Even the scene where the saber is handed to Vader, the only time the Hero version is seen is during the brief closeup shot when he examines Luke's work.  The rest of that scene features the V2.  Even Logray is holding the V2 in the Ewok Village, and the V2 is the saber hilt that Vader hands to the Emperor when Luke is confronting the two.  Strangely it also has major close up time on the Emperor's armrest, though the production probably figured that with it being mostly in shadow, no one would really notice it didn't look all shiny and new.  (Though that assumption is likely just me thinking too much about it.)

V2 all the way.  The Hero is more of an anomaly in the finished film.

Offline Lord Xeno

• Master Force User
  • Sith...they mostly come out at night. Mostly.
V1 but I like 'em all, including the V3.

Offline scottjua

• Master Force User
    • Scott and Tem Photography

I actually really like that theory. But why would Obi-Wan dismantle QG's saber? Would he not tinker with it like he did Anakin's and his own?

Anyways, I don't want to get off topic here, but regardless it's a really cool backstory/theory.

Yeah, I was thinking about it... maybe he was tinkering and dismantled it for a refurbish and then Leia came-a-callin' and all plans got put on hold. He was probably pretty bored out on his own. ^_^

Hasbro Darth Vader Removable Blade
OR Qui Gon CFLS w/Makoto Green
MR Luke V2 LE
MR Qui Gon LE
EFX Ahsoka
Real Parts Obi Wan ANH (90%)

Offline CinDrycast

• Experienced Force User
  • Remember... The Force will be with you... Always!
V2 is definitely better, it has that more realistic and "used" feel, as a real Jedi saber would be. (Yep, one could clean it from time to time, but for the time-pacing of ROTJ story, I don't think Luke was thinking of cleaning it, with all the things and the enemies he has to confront xD)

Master Replicas Ep. VI Luke Skywalker Lightsaber V2 LE #0496/1500
eFX Episode VI Luke Skywalker 'Version Two' Lightsaber PCR

Offline KingOfDathomir

• Master Force User
  • Call me... Old Master
"Hero" v1 for me. It's iconic to Luke as a character, too, as it's almost always what you see on the covers of books, comics, and movie posters. Look in any of the various RotJ Visual Companion guides -- this is the featured saber hilt. And eFX don't make v2 "Reveals".  ;P

Korbanth Sid
Korbanth MW3
Korbanth DM1 v2014
RomanProps Inception Elite
MR 2005 Anakin ROTS LE
Korbanth Duke
HFFX ANH Darth Vader
SF Luke ROTJ Hero
Korbanth Crossguard
Korbanth Graflex v2.0 (Finn-flex)
AHS w/ Crystal Shard v1
Pachstore Shadowblade (SWR Darksaber)
VyleOne TCW Asajj Ventress (3-D printed, 1:1)
VyleOne TCW Pre-Viszla Darksaber (3-D printed, 1:1)
KR Sabers Kenobi ROTS

retrousse